07-13-2014, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #4741
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Oregon Sand Dunes
Zeiss 21/2.8

Beautiful in its stark simplicity.

----

I visited the Olympic Coast for the first time this weekend, here's one from dusk:

Kind of wish I'd had time to grab my polarizing filter, but the light was fading fast and I already had my Lee filters piled on.

07-15-2014, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #4742
Veteran Member

Another from the weekend in the Olympics, taken shortly before the photo in my prior post:

07-17-2014, 06:44 PM - 3 Likes   #4743
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Howdy yall!

I been saving money for a camera for a long long time to take nice photos. I told the salesman I wanted a nice camera. I figured he knew what he was talking about because he said he was selling only the best cameras for a long time, so I asked which one he had was good.

He said it was my lucky day. He said he had a classic. It was a "Canon 5D Classic". I said I like classics like the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 210 convertible I want some day. A red one. Anyways, he said this was a real good one that had extra slow "fips" or something, so I would not be a machine-gunner like a lot of people. I said that sounds good because I'm afraid of guns. He also said a lot of cameras have way too many makepicksells, and if you have too many makepicksells it might cause noise. I said I don't want too many makepicksells because loud noise scares me. He said 12 makepicksells is about right. He also told me this was a special "full-frame" camera and it had even less noise. I said that's good because as I say, loud noises tend to scare me. And darned if he wasn't right! I have the screen turned all the way up and I can't hear a thing. He said it did not have a lot of bells and whistles like some newer cameras. I said that's good then, because any sudden noises makes me jumpy.

The other thing is he said he had some real nice lens for me. He called one a plastic fantastic 50 something. He said it was special imported all the way from Malaysia. It didn't cost much more than some of the ones made in Japan, and was smaller, too. He said if you shoot something up close, like a foot, you can get a "dreamy bouquet". Here is a shot of my foot, but I don't seem to have done it right because I don't see a bouquet. I'll try it again when I find my fancier shoes.

He also asked if I wanted to shoot wide angle. I said I guess I did. He said he had some "el glass" that was really nice. I think "el glass" means lens in Spanish. Anyway he said professional photographers do all the lens fiddling themself without the camera doing it for them, and he showed me a really nice "el glass". It bent side ways in the middle and had some knobs and levers on it. He said this "el glass" would make buildings straight even when I pointed it up. He sure was right. This looks pretty darn straight to me.

He asked me if I like shooting birds. I told him about bagging 2 pheasants in Iowa once. He asked me if I wanted to take pictures of birds, and I said I guess I did. He said a "big white" was the way to go for that. I said OK. But turns out I did not have enough money for a big white. He said not to worry because he had this new "Tamron 150 to 600" lens that was jest out. It has some special thing that the factory could do to make it work really good with my camera. I said OK. So I shot some birds like this.

The salesman was very helpful and professional. He also told me the wide angle could do some jometry thing that sounded like "swine flu". I was never good with math and never had jometry in school, but it sounded like a good thing. I will have to ask him more about it when I go back to get a big white. And when I was leaving he patted me on the back and said don't forget to have Canon look at the mirror. That's real service.

I'll have a bunch more pictures soon. Thanks for looking, as they say!

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-15-2014 at 05:42 PM.
07-18-2014, 03:26 AM   #4744
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Howdy yall!

He asked me if I like shooting birds. I told him about bagging 2 pheasants in Iowa once.
I thought you didn't like loud noises? Or were you the only one on the field using a silencer?

07-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #4745
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I thought you didn't like loud noises? Or were you the only one on the field using a silencer?
I developed that condition after my second tour in 'Nam. The pheasants was before that. They might have been grouse, now that I think of it.
07-21-2014, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #4746
Pentaxian

Porsche club of Los Angeles had their annual C d'E at the Santa Monica Museum of Flying. First time doing any "real" shooting with this new combo (5D/17TSE). It's a bit...wide.

Infernal sky!

I should have used her better. She was working with someone else at the moment and I just included her as an accent :-)

One with the 50 for comparison.

They take it pretty seriously...

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-21-2014 at 09:45 PM.
07-26-2014, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #4747
Veteran Member

This park is a very popular place for pre-wedding shoots.

I didn't intrude but sat off to one side of the tog ....... so didn't get the benefit of their reflectors

A7 & Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar ZF2. Softened and given 'glow'.

07-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #4748
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

I didn't intrude but sat off to one side of the tog .

Oh, I thought we'd see you photobombing the shot.

That lens has been tempting me lately.
07-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #4749

This park is a very popular place for pre-wedding shoots.

I didn't intrude but sat off to one side of the tog ....... so didn't get the benefit of their reflectors

A7 & Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar ZF2. Softened and given 'glow'.
Great Shot!
07-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #4750
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Oh, I thought we'd see you photobombing the shot.

That lens has been tempting me lately.

Me ? The older I get the more camera-shy I become.

The 100/2 Makro Planar is fantastic lens. The only downside is that for a macro lens (at 1:2) you need to add extension tubes (around 50mm perhaps ? I'm not sure how to calculate that) to get to 1:1.

QuoteOriginally posted by IIGQ4U Quote
Great Shot!
Thank you
07-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #4751
Pentaxian

The 100/2 Makro Planar is fantastic lens. The only downside is that for a macro lens (at 1:2) you need to add extension tubes (around 50mm perhaps ? I'm not sure how to calculate that) to get to 1:1.
My macro needs are pretty modest and I really don't do much 1:1. But I have a 3 piece extension tube kit if need one.
07-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #4752

Three (increasingly vaguely) cycling related shots: The Great City Cycle in Manchester, a Tour de France roadside decoration in Yorkshire and one from an adventure driving some of the route in the old VW last weekend.

Tour de Manchester
by digitalCG

Le Tour, Yorkshire style
by digitalCG

Easy Rider
by digitalCG
07-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #4753
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Another from the weekend in the Olympics, taken shortly before the photo in my prior post:

Just great.

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 01:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Photographing rodents
Porcupine

Muskrat
Ian, that first porcupine shot is very nice - love the yellow quills, the pokey-detail, it's eyes.
07-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #4754
Pentaxian

Tamron 150-600 on the 5D. 600mm, ISO 1600, 1/250, f6.7.

I usually use a wide-angle for cars, but I did not have Canonstein with me today. It was the 50. ISO 100, 1/750, f4. I think the EF 28 will be useful for both bodies - it's next on my list...

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-30-2014 at 09:56 PM.
08-01-2014, 12:51 AM - 8 Likes   #4755
Site Supporter

D600
50/1.8D