Veteran Member

A couple of personality shots from a recent local rodeo:

Calm before the storm
Nikon D610, 70-200 f2.8 VR1

Looking back
Nikon D610, 70-200 f2.8 VR1

03-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #5042
Veteran Member

The wonders of burst shooting! Now the d600 has only 5.5 fps. This is why i am so excited about the 10+ fps on mirrorless systems! Seen here is a bottle being a shot by a pellet gun. Velocity is around 800 fps and this was taken at a 1/1000th sec. My original goal was to capture the pellet mid flight but it still tuned out very cool!

Last edited by neostyles; 04-04-2016 at 08:20 PM.
03-14-2015, 02:07 AM   #5043
Pentaxian

The difficulty mirrorless systems at the moment is that they focus very slowly. FPS isn't everything. I'm looking into the A7R as a smaller system to replace my D800E as my main back up to my 645Z (especially after a mishap with the 28 -45 last night. I have the 14 - 24, but the filter solution for it isn't great. I have the Lee SW150 set, but it's not really quite good enough at blocking out light at the corners. I don't need either FPS or fast focus speed. Mirrorless may well catch up on focussing speed soon, but it's not there yet.
03-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #5044
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
The difficulty mirrorless systems at the moment is that they focus very slowly. FPS isn't everything. I'm looking into the A7R as a smaller system to replace my D800E as my main back up to my 645Z (especially after a mishap with the 28 -45 last night. I have the 14 - 24, but the filter solution for it isn't great. I have the Lee SW150 set, but it's not really quite good enough at blocking out light at the corners. I don't need either FPS or fast focus speed. Mirrorless may well catch up on focussing speed soon, but it's not there yet.
Eh focusing speed wasnt really critical here to be honest. I used manual focus What wold have really come in handy is focus peaking, something which nikon doesnt seem to want to include on their high end cameras, In the words of jason lanier, "wake up nikon why dont you do cool things like this??" The samsung nx1 is rumored to get af that rivals dslrs in an upcomming update. That is what is so awesome about mirrorless cameras. I dont think that there is anything fundamentally limiting mirrorless from having fast af. I think to this point it has really been about processing power. I mean, with a dslr, you have the light hitting a mirror which then goes to the af system whereas with a mirrorless system you have the light directly hitting the sensor. Niether one of these sounds really like it should be all that different.

03-14-2015, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #5045
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Eh focusing speed wasnt really critical here to be honest. I used manual focus What wold have really come in handy is focus peaking, something which nikon doesnt seem to want to include on their high end cameras, In the words of jason lanier, "wake up nikon why dont you do cool things like this??" The samsung nx1 is rumored to get af that rivals dslrs in an upcomming update. That is what is so awesome about mirrorless cameras. I dont think that there is anything fundamentally limiting mirrorless from having fast af. I think to this point it has really been about processing power. I mean, with a dslr, you have the light hitting a mirror which then goes to the af system whereas with a mirrorless system you have the light directly hitting the sensor. Niether one of these sounds really like it should be all that different.
I don't mean to be rude, but 3, 5.5 or 15 fps. fast focus or slow, you still have to nail the composition. If you can't do this at 5.5, how do you think you will do it at 15? Composition, well deliberate composition can become more difficult the faster things get. I was shooting in west Wales this afternoon. More cloud cover today than yesterday and there were a few surfers in the sea. I put on my Wellington boots and got into the water with my D800E and AF-S 300 f/4. Even then there were quite a few shots out of focus. It's not a simple matter of spray and pray. You need to have a plan. At 15fps how many of those frames will be useful? If the subject is moving (like my surfer) then you won't have time to review until your buffer fills up. I'm afraid you're being a little naïve at the moment. If you want to have a career in photography, then you need more dynamic composition than the bottle you have above. That shot wouldn't have been better with the NX1.

---------- Post added 03-14-15 at 07:40 PM ----------

It's not usual for me to do any kind of action shots, and the D800E isn't the ideal instrument to do such shots with. But with a paddle surfer out doing his thing in the receding tide off Whitesands Beach, St David's, West Wales, I grabbed my D800E and AF-S 300 f/4 and had a go. The surfer even smiled for me as he came out of the sea....

03-14-2015, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #5046
Veteran Member

It's not a simple matter of spray and pray.
Indeed. AF-C action shooting is challenging for the hardware (AF, buffer, shutter) and the photog - technically and artistically.

My contribution to the fps discussion: an animated GIF (D610):
03-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #5047
Veteran Member

It is when you point of focus isnt changing. My whole point here and very much so one of the reasons why i love photography is being able to capture things that are too fast for the eye to see.

03-15-2015, 03:59 AM   #5048
Pentaxian

It is when you point of focus isnt changing. My whole point here and very much so one of the reasons why i love photography is being able to capture things that are too fast for the eye to see.
You'll have a limited career if all you shoot is static and needs to be shot at 15 fps. I don't know how many pros there are shooting pictures of bottles being shot by a BB gun

I'm honestly not having a go, but you need to fully examine why you want to switch cameras. There needs to be more than one factor involved as changing system is expensive both in money and in learning the new system's way of doing things. Don't get me wrong, the NX1 looks to be a good possibly a great camera, but Samsung is still fairly new in this part of the sector.
03-15-2015, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #5049
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really don't see how the camera or the lens is that important if all you are doing is shooting pellets at a bottle. Setting up the whole thing from point of view, surroundings, lighting etc. Its more of a lab experiment than my idea of photography.
03-15-2015, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #5050
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
I really don't see how the camera or the lens is that important if all you are doing is shooting pellets at a bottle. Setting up the whole thing from point of view, surroundings, lighting etc. Its more of a lab experiment than my idea of photography.
I agree. I would get bored of this kind of photography very easily. But that's just my taste. Takes all sorts. You can do these shots now with a mobile phone.
03-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #5051
Pentaxian

Some more from yesterday.

Again with D800E and AF-S 300 f/4

03-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #5052
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Nice set. Many years ago I did several week-long hikes in that area and other beaches during xmas break in December. I hauled my Pentax 6x7 on several of those trips (pre digital days).

You should go check out Ruby Beach if you haven't already. There is a campground pretty close just south of it. Here is sea lion rock at Ruby Beach using my Hasselblad 500C/M on an early morning.

Thanks! I've been out to the coast a few times now, but haven't made it to Ruby beach yet. Winter seems like the time to go -- it was already crowded last weekend and I remember the hordes last summer. Seems like you made the right choice for December sojourns.

---------- Post added 03-15-2015 at 08:47 PM ----------

[/COLOR]It's not usual for me to do any kind of action shots, and the D800E isn't the ideal instrument to do such shots with. But with a paddle surfer out doing his thing in the receding tide off Whitesands Beach, St David's, West Wales, I grabbed my D800E and AF-S 300 f/4 and had a go. The surfer even smiled for me as he came out of the sea....
Fun shots here, great color between the sky and the water. I like #3 especially -- the detail on the rock and freeze-framed spray give it some wonderful texture.
03-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #5053
Veteran Member

You'll have a limited career if all you shoot is static and needs to be shot at 15 fps. I don't know how many pros there are shooting pictures of bottles being shot by a BB gun

I'm honestly not having a go, but you need to fully examine why you want to switch cameras. There needs to be more than one factor involved as changing system is expensive both in money and in learning the new system's way of doing things. Don't get me wrong, the NX1 looks to be a good possibly a great camera, but Samsung is still fairly new in this part of the sector.
And they've gotten nothing but rave reviews dude.

QuoteQuote:
Wow

In case you havent seen my flickr or portfolio, i do quite bit of other kinds of work. This was just was just something i decided to try one day. Curiosity is the mother of discovery right? What this boils down is what offers more flexability for the artists. You're not going to want to shoot your landscapes at 15 fps but there are times when it really comes in handy.
03-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #5054
Pentaxian

And they've gotten nothing but rave reviews dude.

Wow

In case you havent seen my flickr or portfolio, i do quite bit of other kinds of work. This was just was just something i decided to try one day. Curiosity is the mother of discovery right? What this boils down is what offers more flexability for the artists. You're not going to want to shoot your landscapes at 15 fps but there are times when it really comes in handy.

Every time you put something online you are showcasing your work. You should only put up your best things unless you are looking for assistance. I've put up things before myself which I'm no longer happy with. It represents YOU as a photographer.

Even if you don't get it right in camera you can always post process to make the image better exposed and composed. You don't say in the post that you were just trying it out.

I'm not trying to have a go but trying to get you to think about how you use your equipment before you spend money replacing what you have already. Shops will take your money. Make sure you don't end up with buyer's regret. The NX1 looks to be a good camera but as I said changing systems is a big step and one you should think about carefully.
03-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #5055

The wonders of burst shooting! Now the d600 has only 5.5 fps. This is why i am so excited about the 10+ fps on mirrorless systems! Seen here is a bottle being a shot by a pellet gun. Velocity is around 800 fps and this was taken at a 1/1000th sec. My original goal was to capture the pellet mid flight but it still tuned out very cool!
I'm all for experimenting and trying new things but in this kind of high speed photography, it's not the camera's FPS that matters but more of the timing of the image capture and freezing motion. From what I've read, you need some sort of trigger that'll sense the projectile (BB pellet, bullet, etc) and trigger the camera + flash setup (usually used at lowest flash power for the shortest flash duration and maximum freezing of movement).