Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any G11 users here? Q for you.

I just bought a G11 today and am trying to set it up to shoot RAW. Following the instructions to get to the menu on screen where you choose first the image quality (got that) and then, to choose RAW you move to the next point along the selection bar, past "W"and RAW is supposed to be there. Its just not where its supposed to be... and I can't find where I need to activate it. Or rather I can, but that's greyed out, and even though it lets me check it, it makes no difference. . I reset everything to defaults (had been fiddling with settings prior) but still no RAW. And that's half the reason for buying the camera...

How do I get RAW to show up in that menu? I'm confuzzled. (actually just found it, but what I shoot isnt coming out except as jpg....)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 09-12-2010 at 05:42 AM.
09-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
emr

I only have an S90 and not the G11, and even it isn't here at hand so I could check. But what mode is your camera on? Could it be that it's on the green/auto mode and therefore raw isn't available?

EDIT: did some googling and that seems to be the case that raw isn't available in auto or certain other modes
09-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I only have an S90 and not the G11, and even it isn't here at hand so I could check. But what mode is your camera on? Could it be that it's on the green/auto mode and therefore raw isn't available?

EDIT: did some googling and that seems to be the case that raw isn't available in auto or certain other modes
Yep, found that just after I posted. But, then having activated RAW and using a custom mode where RAW was available, when the photographs were transferred to the computer, it was still only in jpg, even though RAW shows on screen as being active when the photographs were taken.

Never had a compact that could do RAW so its all a bit of mystery to me. So much easier on my K200D
09-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Yep, found that just after I posted. But, then having activated RAW and using a custom mode where RAW was available, when the photographs were transferred to the computer, it was still only in jpg, even though RAW shows on screen as being active when the photographs were taken.

Never had a compact that could do RAW so its all a bit of mystery to me. So much easier on my K200D
Try using Windows Explorer/Linux Equivalent to drag and drop the files from the SD card/camera to your computer; don't use an auto-downloading programme.

09-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Graham, I'm a mac user and iPhoto downloads whatever it finds no matter what. The problem in the end as I worked out, was that I did not have an updated Camera Raw file from Adobe or Apple which was Canon compatible. Thats now been resolved and its all good.

Sorry I had forgotten to post back here :-/

Also it seems RAW can only be used in P mode. That's OK, its my preferred in any case