Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

[RUMOR] Canon's First Mirrorless Camera!

The 22 megapixel EIS 60 high end mirrorless camera may be the first invention from Canon, one of the largest camera brands, according to a new rumor translated by the website EOSHD.com.

http://www.mirrorlessforums.com/forums/official-homepage-news/94965-rumor-ca...tml#post965334

09-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very interesting. Pretty legit sounding based on the source.
09-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting indeed. Let us wait until these rumors mature into actual announcements...
09-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If, like me, you don't know what a mirrorless camera is - here is a link:

Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

09-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

As much as everybody harps about FF cameras, this is the future of photography and I would be shocked if Canon did NOT have something like this in their R&D dept.

It's not if, it's when and that includes all the manufacturers.
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As much as everybody harps about FF cameras, this is the future of photography and I would be shocked if Canon did NOT have something like this in their R&D dept.

It's not if, it's when and that includes all the manufacturers.
As an E-P2 user I agree. I guess you could make this Full Frame, but I think this is more likely where you'll see cameras going unless they can figure out how to make a Full Frame body smaller. They are just too big for the average camera buyer.
09-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Contrast-AF has a long way to go.

Fuji's liveview phase-AF might be great. Pellicle solutions are hindered by their larger register distance.

I returned my NEX-5 in part because it doesn't focus well and in part because the software makes poor decisions for Auto-ISO and shutter speed. I could live with bad software but there is no reason to live with bad hardware.

I'll sit this round out. I do expect AF techniques to improve.

09-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Very interesting. Pretty legit sounding based on the source.
The source is this Chinese-language forum post. How is that "pretty legit"?

Canon EISϵÁÐEVILÏà»ú½«ÓÚÃ÷ÄêµÚ¶þ¼¾¶ÈÉÏÊÐ - ÎÞ¼ÉÂÛ̳
09-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've seen a lot of accurate rumors come off similar forums. I don't know if they were the same forums, since I can't read chinese, but it's not like all chinese people are liars or something.

The fact that it ended up on EOSHD gives it some extra credence with me. Yes, ultimately EOSHD is a rumor mill as well, but the info there seems to be correct far more often.

Obviously there's a very good chance that it's a bunch of crap. But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for the moment.
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I've seen a lot of accurate rumors come off similar forums. I don't know if they were the same forums, since I can't read chinese, but it's not like all chinese people are liars or something.
You've also almost certainly seen a lot of inaccurate rumors in the same forums. The presence of some good ones among all the bad ones doesn't mean any individual rumor from the same source is automatically credible.

And I never suggested "all chinese people are liars", nor would I, given that I grew up in (and adore) Asia.

QuoteQuote:
The fact that it ended up on EOSHD gives it some extra credence with me. Yes, ultimately EOSHD is a rumor mill as well, but the info there seems to be correct far more often.
It ended up on EOSHD, by their own admission, because a reader pointed them towards that forum thread. In other words they have no idea if it is really credible -- they just felt it sounded believable. This is no different to a certain rumors site that recently ran a story pointing to a Pentax EVIL camera that was a fictional work created by a member of this site.

QuoteQuote:
Obviously there's a very good chance that it's a bunch of crap. But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for the moment.
Nothing wrong with that, and I have no idea either way -- could be real, could be fake -- but I wouldn't consider the source necessarily credible.
09-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter

If they did go mirroless with an I.L. camera, I would be surprised if they went 4/3. The diagram is for illustration but has a prism.
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If they did go mirroless with an I.L. camera, I would be surprised if they went 4/3.
Well, not 4/3. The article claimed it would be a 2x crop 3:2 sensor.
If it is true, then both Canon and Nikon could be going for the small sensor route.

QuoteQuote:
The diagram is for illustration but has a prism.
That "illustration" was put there by EOSHD and has no relationship with the original article.
09-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Well, not 4/3. The article claimed it would be a 2x crop 3:2 sensor.
If it is true, then both Canon and Nikon could be going for the small sensor route.

That "illustration" was put there by EOSHD and has no relationship with the original article.
What to you think the conversion factor or crop (although I don't like the term) is for a 4/3 sensor? As far as the prism comment goes, that's why I put a smiley out there. However, according to the article, the sensor is a little bit bigger than 4/3.

Here's what the article actually said:

QuoteQuote:
Due for launch in the second quarter of 2011, Canon's mirrorless is branded EIS. The first in the series - EIS 60 - is a high end mirrorless camera, not an entry level GF / NEX competitor. It will feature a 22 megapixel sensor. This is a brand new back illuminated design, 18mm x 12mm in size (approximately Micro 4/3rds sized*).
EOSHD.com - Exclusive - Canon EIS 60 revealed - high end mirrorless camera with pixel fusion technology

Here is the footnote denoted by the *.

QuoteQuote:
* Standard Micro 4/3rds is 17.3 mm × 13.0 mm. Canon's is 18mm x 12mm because it is in 3:2 aspect ratio not 4:3. The GH1's non-standard M4/3rds sensor is multi-aspect, supporting 16:9 and is slightly larger than both.