Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #31
Veteran Member

D7000 Ai and AiS compatibility is a game changer

D7000 Ai and AiS compatibility is a game changer.

I've been buying the occasional minty but "used" Nikon AiS lens lately.

Once one gets used to Pentax prices for classic glass, Nikon seems like a bargain. Nikon classics are plentiful, built to last a lifetime, many like new samples exist in USA.

Here's my favorite Nikon lens info site, production totals for each lens from day one

Nikon Lens Serial Nos

Buying an $1,199 D7000 won't make you sell your Pentax, at least not at first

I should have cashed out of my entire Pentax kit a couple years ago,
but I am a sucker for the weekly Pentax full frame is coming rumor, year after year...

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
yes, got my interest...

When I bought my K10D I wasn't prepared to spend the double or more a D200 was in my part of the world which was needed to use my Ais glass with anything more than guesstimate metering. Recently I choose to grab a K7 instead of moving up to a D300. Have been happy with the K7 for the majority of the time but recent use at 1600ISO has me a little disappointed. Also, if SDM was robust, I'd already have a 60-250/4 and be in the line for a K5 when it appears. However, I don't have much in the way of Pentax lenses, so I still have a burning desire to use my 105/2.5 Nikkor... decisions... decisons... arrggghhh!! (in truth I won't be doing anything until both cameras are well reviewed by the general public)

09-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
D7000 Ai and AiS compatibility is a game changer.
Doesn't D300(s) have the same degree of compatibility? I am thinking that D7000 together with its price might be a game changer.
09-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #33

does the D7000 have Weather sealing? like proper weather sealing? I like to take pictures in all conditions, and I've seen non Weather sealed lenses and bodies get wrecked.
09-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Yes, it has weather sealing.

09-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still, the earlier sentiment applies:
If one's already into Pentax, why switch to Nikon D7000?
For the sake of a few bucks before lenses are even considered?
A new dSLR user may consider the D7000 over the K-5 for its price alone, but would have little idea as to what a decent lens would cost to put on the camera...
In the end, it doesn't matter too much - none of these cameras are bad choices - the K-5 still seems to have the specs for comparative performance.
09-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I agree, both going to be great.
09-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Shake Reduction Overrated?

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Inbody Shake Reduction is over rated.
Where or how did you get that??? I think SR works very well on the K-7. I just have some issues with the sensor but the K-5 will have a new sensor. A Sony sensor I believe??? I also use a Nikon 105mm macro with VR (vibration reduction) in the lens so I have experience with both systems.

Here is my flickr.com page and my last photo will show a Pipevine butterfly taken at 1/50th of a second. Now not all my photos of this butterfly looked this sharp but almost all of them looked fine in a series or 10 to 20 shots. Only about 2 to 3 had this level of detail... the kind of detail where you can clearly see the tiny white specks in the wings of the butterfly under magnification.

Keep in mind there was a slight breeze also and no form of skake reduction can deal with that. I have read on this forum that 1/60th of a second is useless in even this slightest breeze. You have to take a series of photos and catch it at the brief moment when it is still. There is sometimes a difference between results and conjecture.

Pipevine Swallowtail | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by traderdrew; 09-16-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Nikon lenses
09-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Yes, the D300 (now available sub-$900 used in some cases) also has the Ai aperture coupling.
09-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Yes D300 also has the Ai apperture coupling... however, let me add a little grain of salt about all that Ai excitement... The problem with Nikon's MF.... is that there's no audible confirmation like with Pentax bodies...

Usually this is time than some idiots start screaming that the AF-confirmation "BEEP" is stupid and they never use it... I couldn't care less...

In my experience with Nikon's AIS glass and cropped bodies was such that it's kinda awkward to focus, especially if you shooting a moving subject... You have to rely on the visual confirmation icon at the lower left of the VF or get a split-prism focusing screen... With Pentax it was somewhat easier.... just a plain and simple BEEP when in focus...

Just another thing, besides AUTO-Iso that Pentax actually did better... On the other hand, Nikon bodies with Ai coupling meter beautifully with all Ai and Ais glass in A-mode... no need for green button or stopping down...
09-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Yes D300 also has the Ai apperture coupling... however, let me add a little grain of salt about all that Ai excitement... The problem with Nikon's MF.... is that there's no audible confirmation like with Pentax bodies...

Usually this is time than some idiots start screaming that the AF-confirmation "BEEP" is stupid and they never use it... I couldn't care less...
Oooh, oooh! ::raises hand::

Yeah, I'm one of those that never uses the beep. The hex is good enough for me, and in the Nikon bodies it's even easier since it tells you which direction you need to focus. Agree that the Nikon metering is even better than the Pentax method for manual lenses. Love it!

Now if I could only get infinity focus with M42 lenses.
09-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Oooh, oooh! ::raises hand::

Yeah, I'm one of those that never uses the beep. The hex is good enough for me, and in the Nikon bodies it's even easier since it tells you which direction you need to focus. Agree that the Nikon metering is even better than the Pentax method for manual lenses. Love it!
(
That's alright... at least you're not claiming that you're a center of the universe like somebody else did in another discussion regarding 51AF points VS 1 center point....

With D700 i'm sure it's easier to MF given it's VF size... But on cropped bodies, at least I hated always refocusing my eye from the subject to the damn hex to see if it's lit or not... Split-prism screen was my savior...
10-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Still, the earlier sentiment applies:
If one's already into Pentax, why switch to Nikon D7000?
For the sake of a few bucks before lenses are even considered?
A new dSLR user may consider the D7000 over the K-5 for its price alone, but would have little idea as to what a decent lens would cost to put on the camera...
In the end, it doesn't matter too much - none of these cameras are bad choices - the K-5 still seems to have the specs for comparative performance.
All true, except in the flash department - unless things with the K-5 change dramatically. Otherwise you may be able to make a parallel shift over for next to nothing and gain the ability to try lenses in store, borrow from friends who shoot Nikon, and have a flash system that isn't nearly as finicky.

Reason enough for me to switch.

c[_]