Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Retro Fuji Finepix X100 at Photokina

Clearly I'm not the only one who'd prefer a digital more like a classic film camera:

Fuji Finepix X100

Now if only they'd lose that LCD panel and all those damn buttons on the back...

Chris

09-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Clearly I'm not the only one who'd prefer a digital more like a classic film camera:

Fuji Finepix X100

Now if only they'd lose that LCD panel and all those damn buttons on the back...
This is an unbelievable camera and I'm already in love! Yes, no LCD and no buttons on the back would be my preference, too. But check out the top-plate:

Shutter-speed dial (it's really the mode dial but let's not nitpick) and a second dial for exposure compensation. That's as classic as an LX.

I fully approve and I think I may actually have to get me one of those once released. You know, only to voice my approval to Fuji.

Cheers,
Tassilo
09-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow, I'm impressed. I always liked fuji
09-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

it would be interesting to start a poll on how many here liked Fuji. but one is certain, for anyone who had experience using one, it is mostly positive in general. I had always wondered when Fuji would come up with a successor to the S5 Pro or atleast something used by enthusiasts and advanced amateurs. I thought they were done with the idea when after their last APS-C camera. glad they are back on track. jut hoping it's not as expensive as that one. lol.

09-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Seriously considering selling everything I own to buy this.
09-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Seriously considering selling everything I own to buy this.
You won't have to.

$1000 MSRP.
09-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
You won't have to.

$1000 MSRP.
Yeah, I saw that. I could sell my car and still not make that kind of money though

...but I will manage to save up for one. No problem. This camera right here is pretty much a dream come true.
09-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This model has created quite a buzz on the forums, more than any other product shown at Photokina.
If it sells as well as anticipated the Fuji X100 could be a real game changer. Pentax, are you listening?

Chris

09-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm pretty sure I will get one, and dispense with all my compacts (which I seem to collect and change like other people change their underwear). I'd considered going to Oly or Pana for a micro 4/3 but this... this is a preferred option (and it beats the Leica X1 hands down because it has a viewfinder - and probably for other reasons too, including price)
09-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Aperture ring.
09-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Fuji Finepix X100

Chris
I think the real benefit of this camera is the successful marriage of traditional controls such as the aperture dial on the lens, Shutter speed and exposure compensation dials on the top plate, the essential controlls for photography, and the benefits of todays electronics: The highbrid viewfinder etc..

I love the tactile feel of those dials and the ability to instantly determine the camera settings, even with the power turned off. I also like the benefit of being able to switch to the EVF to check on DOF etc.. The rear dials offer all the benefits of My K7 such as switching between JPEG and RAW and exposure/focus lock, the abilty to chimp etc..

No folks, this is the ultimate marriage of tradional cameras and todays technology and those who didn't use cameras such as the MX with it's manual controll dials, may never miss them. But for those of us old enough to have had that experience, that is what has always been missing in this digital age. So welcome this marriage of old and new.
09-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Leica has to be whizzing in their pants over this camera right down to the X100 part. Hysterical The optical EVG hybrid viewfinder blows the X1 out of the water at at least half the price. The Fuji even looks more like a classic RF.
09-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

anyone has a photo of the back?
09-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
anyone has a photo of the back?

Go to the slide show in the PC Mag article for 9 images comparing it and the Leica X1.

Fujifilm Announces Compact Camera with D-SLR Image Quality - Fujifilm FinePix X100 - Back - Slideshow from PCMag.com
09-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

Go to the slide show in the PC Mag article for 9 images comparing it and the Leica X1.

Fujifilm Announces Compact Camera with D-SLR Image Quality - Fujifilm FinePix X100 - Back - Slideshow from PCMag.com
I think I'm in love !