Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I was looking at the Nikon D7000 and it looks to have many improved features over the K-5 and it offers a flash sync speed of 1/250 compared to the K-5's 1/180 which would help with my offer camera strobist work. What do you guys think? I am a little disappointed in the K-5 and lack of more robust improvements.
Can you mount Nikkor 85/1.4 on your K-5/7/x/r? Can you mount Pentax FA 31/1.8 Ltd on D7000??? So, really, what's the point of comparison?

If you need to make a choice, just copy-paste or print down the specs from DPReview and put them to comparison. Mark what you like more in one camera and what you like more in another. Compute the sum... Etc... You obviously know the drill...

Then you can of course go and buy either of them or just keep shooting with what you have. Or even (what I've done) buy some film and take a 'nap' from the digital race...

09-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

To OP: as others have said, this thread is useless. You know what you want from a camera and what budget you have, do a little research and go for it.

I have preordered a D7000 and intend to keep K7 w/FA 31mm and kit lens.

Reasons: very simple - better AF, better exposure (including flash), AF during video, price/quality in lenses seems better with Nikon, better support (Pentax is very weak in my country)

Reasons to keep K7: also simple - FA31, and shooting in the rain/snow without worrying too much about water on lens/body.

I will evaluate both and, provided Pentax with the new DC-SDM have solved the SDM problem and the K5 will prove a real upgrade especially in the AF sector, I might buy some pentax gear again.

LE: before bashing my affirmation regarding better price/quality ratio in Nikon lenses, try shooting a D90 with the 18-105mm, a very "consumerish" setup and after that speak. Also check the photozone testing - how many Nikon lenses get 4 stars and how many from Pentax.
09-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While Nikon has some expensive glass, no doubt, there are excellent Nikon prime lenses to be had that aren't astronomical in price:

Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.4 = $419
Nikkor 85mm f1.8 = $429 <---- highly rated optical quality
09-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I was looking at the Nikon D7000 and it looks to have many improved features over the K-5 and it offers a flash sync speed of 1/250 compared to the K-5's 1/180 which would help with my offer camera strobist work. What do you guys think? I am a little disappointed in the K-5 and lack of more robust improvements.
I would have to agree.
I think one of Pentax's long standing weaknesses against Nikon is its flash performance. Thankfully(in my own case), I don't do much flash photography. However, I could see this as a justifiable reason to switch systems for those who are either headed that way or... looking to extend their existing workflow.

09-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
While Nikon has some expensive glass, no doubt, there are excellent Nikon prime lenses to be had that aren't astronomical in price:

Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.4 = $419
Nikkor 85mm f1.8 = $429 <---- highly rated optical quality
The resolution is good, yeah, but the rendering qualities are only so-so. The bokeh can look pretty bad at times, and come on, beautiful bokeh is WHY you buy a fast 85.

If you want a fast 85mm and need AF, get the canon f1.8. Fantastic lens, can get it under $350. If you don't need AF, there are plenty of great fast 85mm lenses available used that are compatible with Pentax.
09-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The resolution is good, yeah, but the rendering qualities are only so-so. The bokeh can look pretty bad at times, and come on, beautiful bokeh is WHY you buy a fast 85.

If you want a fast 85mm and need AF, get the canon f1.8. Fantastic lens, can get it under $350. If you don't need AF, there are plenty of great fast 85mm lenses available used that are compatible with Pentax.
Well, I do not have the lens but I trust photozone and they say:

The Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D was a very boring lens during the tests simply because it showed a exceptional performance in all tested categories. Besides the lab results the lens shows a beautiful bokeh (out-of-focus blur). If I had to name a weakness it may be flare in contra light but it is a minor issue in the otherwise very harmonic package. So if you´re looking for a portrait lens or a similar application where you would like to isolate an object from its environment this is an ideal lens. Highly recommended!

I will get the lens based on this and maybe I will still have some money left from me selling the FA77mm
09-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I've had no issues with the bokeh, personally. It's an insanely good lens for the price.

09-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
Well, I do not have the lens but I trust photozone and they say:

The Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D was a very boring lens during the tests simply because it showed a exceptional performance in all tested categories. Besides the lab results the lens shows a beautiful bokeh (out-of-focus blur). If I had to name a weakness it may be flare in contra light but it is a minor issue in the otherwise very harmonic package. So if you´re looking for a portrait lens or a similar application where you would like to isolate an object from its environment this is an ideal lens. Highly recommended!

I will get the lens based on this and maybe I will still have some money left from me selling the FA77mm
+1

To tell you the truth, In the same situation where Nikon's 85/1.8 will show really awful bokeh, FA77 will be even worse... For the rest I tend to agree with Photozone... It's an extremely boring lens... very predictable and solid performer... and not only for portraiture...

B.t.w. This is getting really fun....
Finally somebody went beyond masturbating about SR, WR, FPS and ISO range... Feels weird doesn't it? K5 got it all.... Brand new sensor, brand new AF module, mind blowing 7FPS... and even more mind-blowing, full 1 and 1/7th of a second worth of RAW images to fill... Sports shooters will be happy...

Last edited by alexeyga; 09-21-2010 at 10:31 AM.
09-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Define "than".

Jason
09-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick question, Does the D7000 mount and meter with legacy Nikon manual focus lenses? If not, for me it is a meaningless camera. Pentax with the legacy lens support across all bodies wins.
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Quick question, Does the D7000 mount and meter with legacy Nikon manual focus lenses? If not, for me it is a meaningless camera. Pentax with the legacy lens support across all bodies wins.
It does... that's what the Ai lever is there for...
09-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hot diggety, my interest just went up from zero to some
09-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Wonder how long until Adam closes this thread, too, "in the interest of continuity"...
09-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

All of this chatter about nikon vs pentax is really interesting to me. Having started my photo career back in the late 70's with pentax and using pentax for many years with a short stint with canon and back to pentax with K10D and DA* lenses, I switched to nikon a couple of years ago and can say from experience that if you are trying to make money with a camera you need a SYSTEM. Nikon has a flash system that just works--no fiddleing just shoot. Also an excellent remote flash system with multiple flashes. If you need big lenses they are available new and used. Need a teleconverter? They are available new and used. Need to photograph a football player running at you? My nikons can do it! Volleyball players indoors with low light? Basketball players in low light? This is why most pro or semi-pro shooters use canon or nikon. If I didn't need these features I could still be shooting with my old K10D. It had great colors and produced very nice images. The whole point to this you have to use what suites you for your needs --be it pentax, nikon or canon. I reallly loved my old pentaxes but I had to get something that would help me in my work.
09-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I agree with the post above. Sometimes you have to use what works for you. I have been thinking about switching to Pentax for the weather sealed bodies, but have to wait for their autofocus to catch up more. The k-5 looks great, but I could get a 7D for the same price which is even better (at autofocus anyway) and keep my current system. If I wouldn't have to give up my much loved 400L, the decision would be easier....