Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Foveon sensors are completely free of colour moiré issues, so they don't need AA filters for this purpose which helps with image sharpness. They should still benefit from some AA for avoiding luminance moiré.
You know, I hear this quite often but I've seen a lot of examples of color moire from foveon cameras, for example in some discussion around the time the DP2 first appeared. I have no idea why that occurred, as theoretically you are correct that the lack of interpolation should eliminate moire issues, but that has not seemed to always be the case in practice.

09-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and apparently it's weathersealed! Now this is getting WAY too tempting
09-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #18

Lenses...

You can officially only use Sigma mount lenses on this camera, but I have read that because of the physical similarity with K mount you can use many K mount lenses in manual mode. Anyone have any knowledge about this?
09-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jess Quote
You can officially only use Sigma mount lenses on this camera, but I have read that because of the physical similarity with K mount you can use many K mount lenses in manual mode. Anyone have any knowledge about this?
I haven't heard this, but I have heard that it's nearly identical to EOS mount (possibly the electronic contacts are all that's different) and that sigma DSLRs have been converted to EOS mount relatively easily in the past.

09-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I haven't heard this, but I have heard that it's nearly identical to EOS mount (possibly the electronic contacts are all that's different) and that sigma DSLRs have been converted to EOS mount relatively easily in the past.
From what I've read the Sigma SA mount is mechanically similar to the K-mount and uses electronics similar to the EOS mount.

Looking at the Sigma SD1 it looks like it has Pentax genes, I do remember reading somewhere that Pentax helped Sigma out with the AF system, its quite possible the 11 point system in the SD1 may be the same as in the K-5....

Interesting looking camera, I think the new SD1 & Sigma 120-300 are a good hint of where Sigma is looking to head.
09-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
From what I've read the Sigma SA mount is mechanically similar to the K-mount
but IR filter in front of the mirror prevents mounting Pentax lenses unless you either remove it (=IR camera or use IR filter for lens) or remove some protruding parts from the lens.

and uses electronics similar to the EOS mount.
interface is the same, so some people modify the mount and use Canon lenses even with autofocus working

its quite possible the 11 point system in the SD1 may be the same as in the K-5
not exactly - rather they get it from Olympus - compare :

Sigma SD1:

QuoteQuote:
11 points twin cross sensor
AF Operating Range EV -2 to +19 (ISO100)

Olympus E5

QuoteQuote:
AF luminance range (phase-difference detection system) EV -2 to 19 (at 20?, ISO 100, TTL phase-difference detection system)

11 points full-twin cross AF sensor with the phase-difference detection system
09-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in any case, it seems like beautiful piece of kit... just shame I can't put my ltds on it

09-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Great to see all the positive comments here. That's what I like about Pentaxians... open minds.

I was on a Canon forum yesterday, what a bunch of sheep! ;-p
09-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this looks great for daylight shooting. but ultimately for studio shoots, a clear winner.

Peter, I share your sentiments. too bad we can't use all Pentax Glass on them fully functional. I'm still hoping for a FF camera next year though. so I'm holding tight to my FF lenses.
09-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Great to see all the positive comments here. That's what I like about Pentaxians... open minds.

I was on a Canon forum yesterday, what a bunch of sheep! ;-p
lucky you didn't get snob!
09-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Beauty with the Sigma you've got a pretty damn complete lens range!
09-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Now that Sigmas can produce 15mp files, this is an interesting camera for sure. I find it difficult to believe Pentax would have helped Sigma develop the SD1 as it seems similar enough to the K-7/K-5 though.

A page defining what lenses can work on the camera:
Sigma SD14 - NonSigmaLenses

Looks like the aperture lever gets in the way. Without AF and metering I don't see them of much use. Anything pre aperture would be fun to play with.

I'm not too fond of my existing Sigma glass, but I have not tried any of their newer products.
10-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #28
Forum Member

Sensor review:

Exclusive: Sigma and Foveon discuss the forthcoming SD1: Digital Photography Review
10-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

in my experience the Foveon sensor has problems with the blue end of the spectrum I hope they have improved on this.
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
in any case, it seems like beautiful piece of kit... just shame I can't put my ltds on it
Give me a Dremmel and I'll fix that right quick

Dammit if the sensor pans out to be all its hyped to be, I'd even glue a K 35mm 3.5 to it and call it a day