Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
Sigma also have a 15.5MP(or call 46MP as they call it) SD1 flagship with 1.5 crop factor.
And a screaming fast 3fps. Seems like 2-3 year old technology, could be a great camera though.

Sigma SD15 Digital SLR Camera | sigmaphoto.com

09-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Sigma 120-300MM F2.8 & weather resistant

Photokina 2010: Sigma has unveiled the 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, a revised version of its fast telezoom featuring optical image stabilization and weather-resistant construction. The lens also offers ultrasonic-type HSM autofocus with full-time manual override, and employs both 'F' Low Dispersion and Super Low Dispersion glass to minimize chromatic aberrations. It employs a 9-bladed rounded diaphragm for attractive bokeh, and is fully compatible with Sigma's 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters while maintaining autofocus.
HOLY CRAP!!!! The lens I wanted 3 years ago, but now this one's WR too!!!
Sigma is trying to make me put my $$$ where my mouth is.

Anyone looking to buy a used Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG? I might need to sell it to fund this purchase. :ugh:

Thanx for pointing this out Christopher./

Oh wait... where does it say it'll be in Pentax mount? [!!!] Ugh. On one hand, I'm off the hook; on the other hand, same old same old.
(sorry, did not read the thread before responding. Carry on. Nothing to see here.)
09-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
No matter anyway .. Canon/Sigma/Nikon only.
Same with their new 150mm f/2.8 macro OS HSM: no Pentax mount.
09-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

$4200 would be very reasonable for that lens if it performs well. Look how much a prime 300/2.8 costs from Canon or Nikon. Nobody should be surprised by this price. If this lens was a Canon or Nikon product it would cost $5500.

09-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Price: $4,200.00 MSRP
Naw, really? That's ridiculous. Unlikely they'll make it in K-mount then--we're too poor &/or stingy to make it worth their while.
09-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

Sticker shock, but it makes sense. Makes me feel better that I got the Sigma 300/2.8 when I did; with the best deal possible @ the time. (don't forget folks; US dollar is very weak @ the moment)

Regarding performance.... The previous gen 120-300/2.8 was a fantastic performer. Tested by Outdoor Photographer or another major magazine and conclusion was very little was lost in the zoom to the prime. I can only hope this revision carried that forward.
09-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
HOLY CRAP!!!! The lens I wanted 3 years ago, but now this one's WR too!!!
Sigma is trying to make me put my $$$ where my mouth is.

Anyone looking to buy a used Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG? I might need to sell it to fund this purchase. :ugh:

Thanx for pointing this out Christopher./

Oh wait... where does it say it'll be in Pentax mount? [!!!] Ugh. On one hand, I'm off the hook; on the other hand, same old same old.
(sorry, did not read the thread before responding. Carry on. Nothing to see here.)

Actually .. just realised it was linked to the old Non OS version so there may yet be a chance it is released in Pentax mount.

And also the 150mm f2.8 macro.

09-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
yeah it doesn't appear Sigma has updated the U.S. website yet. It seems that all newer lenses are being released for Pentax so I am hoping these will as well...not that I can afford any of them.....or even need them. I don't use my Tamron 60b enough as it is.
09-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If the $4200 is MSRP then it's the same as the old version. Sigma's street prices are significantly less than MSRP (by a larger margin than other brands). Wasn't the old version $3000 street? The old one was also not available in K-mount. They definitely figure this lens is out of our price-range.
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
They definitely figure this lens is out of our price-range.
Got that right ;~(
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Sigma 120-300MM F2.8 & weather resistant

Photokina 2010: Sigma has unveiled the 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, a revised version of its fast telezoom featuring optical image stabilization and weather-resistant construction. The lens also offers ultrasonic-type HSM autofocus with full-time manual override, and employs both 'F' Low Dispersion and Super Low Dispersion glass to minimize chromatic aberrations. It employs a 9-bladed rounded diaphragm for attractive bokeh, and is fully compatible with Sigma's 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters while maintaining autofocus.

Sigma announces stabilised 120-300mm F2.8 telezoom: Digital Photography Review
The Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 is a huge and expensive lens. I still prefer the 100-300 f/4 with no OS. However, I love to see the new 150mm Macro in Pentax mount. For sure i preferred not to pay for the OS, but if they come out with a Pentax version it's still very tempting.
09-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #27

I feel strongly that all of you should support Sigma's interest in Pentax by buying this lens as soon as it's available in a K-mount. Then one of you needs to scratch the body superficially, declare it destroyed, and sell it at a fraction of the price used to me.
09-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I feel strongly that all of you should support Sigma's interest in Pentax by buying this lens as soon as it's available in a K-mount. Then one of you needs to scratch the body superficially, declare it destroyed, and sell it at a fraction of the price used to me.
This is the chicken and egg problem. At $4200, Sigma may be losing money in getting a lens for Pentax. If I have to bet, they will have the Pentax mount in at least 2+ years after Canon and Nikon.

To have a great lens available is way better than not having one for the Pentax community. I will use the same argument for FF bodies. When it becomes available, you don't have to buy it. It just feels good that you can dream of your professional picture costing 5K for a framed piece in exhibit. When that happens, one can buy one for yourself and a 2nd one for backup, and a 3rd used one for lucky draw for Photo of the year reward in forum. Yes, I will do that when I make it to that dream. Until that happens, keep dreaming with me as day-dreaming or any kind of dreaming is free. The worse to see will be in the announcement with specific mounts. And I hope Sigma keeps the Pentax dream alive and well.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-21-2010 at 11:26 AM.
09-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
If I have to bet, they will have the Pentax mount in at least 2+ years after Canon and Nikon.

Hin
I'll take that bet. As I posted above, there was no k-mount of the last version of this lens.
09-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll take care of the homepage posting for this lens, and will be adding it to our database shortly.

Edit: Yeah, no Pentax variation. There's no market for it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: