Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon Fora

Where's the Nikon chatter at?

What's the best Nikon forum around? I seem to recall a paid one (not interested), but I can't find one like this Pentax one. Are they just more spread out?

10-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #2

I had the same question while i was searching the right camera for me, and i found that payed-from-beginning forum. Then i found this one, and to be fair it was one of the reasons i bought Pentax. I guess just try to find some enthusiast forum in your country, or ask for advice from teh Guru Chuck Norris...uhh ..wrong ....Ken Rockwell. But again you will have to pay, his growing family relies on your 5 bucks.
10-14-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Free: Nikon Cafe

Free: Nikongear

registration is in order, though.

and of course, there's Fred Miranda as well.
10-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am thinking of dual systems and 1 system

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

What's the best Nikon forum around? I seem to recall a paid one (not interested), but I can't find one like this Pentax one. Are they just more spread out?
Instead of answering your question. I actually have a question to you. I am thinking of a dual system with Nikon and consolidate my K-x and K20D into one digital body. I know that you have K7 and perhaps k10D experience. Since you are very much into sports photography, do you see K7 as competent in sports? Does the AF and AF.C in K7 much improved from K10D/K20D that you see quite fit for sports photography.

I am thinking of a dual system as follows:

Pentax K7
  • An upgrade from selling both of my K-x and K20D
  • Keep all small primes in 15,35,43,77 and my Cosina 55mm f/1.2
  • Serve as a traveling, freelance, and family camera with video capability
  • My k-x and K20D will swap the funds for a new K7 with hopefully some extended warranty
  • Will dump all the zoom lenses 10-17, 50-135, 300, 1.7x, battery grip, AF540 flash
  • May keep the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and AF280 for freelance work as a backup body
  • My K7 is a body with primes in 15,35,43,55,77

Nikon D7000

A better backup or main body that is more durable and capable than my K-x and K20D
  • An occasional video gig for my boys in school and traveling
  • Two initial zooms with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 with VR
  • Currently still investigating the main kit lens with Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 VR and Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 as they are quite expensive to own
  • A new flash system for strobist learning and studio work, starting with SB700
  • A system with longer lens and more choices of 3rd party lenses as well as AI compatible older lens
  • A broader upgrade path to full frame and other bodies
  • Future longer lens in the range of 80-400, 100-300, 300 primes and TC.
  • My Nikon is a body with zooms and more towards the longer end needs as in 55-300 VR, and other better zooms as I progress

And for people with interest in forums, I may even venture to start a forum for Pentax, Nikon, Canon escapee and people who loves new trend as in Samsung nx10 and Fuji x100 digital.

It is expensive to run two systems as a hobbyist with no income support from the hobby, I will be also interested in merging the 2 dual systems into 1 in the planning. You can call it as Pentax Escapee

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 10-14-2010 at 12:26 PM.
10-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I actually started with the *istDs, then K20D, then K-7, so haven't used a K10D sorry.

Yes I see the K-7 as competent in sports, but of course I have no experience with anything else. Someone else used to maybe a C or N top model may form a different opinion after using the K-7. I wouldn't say it's great or fantastic though, but again tricky to say without experience of another make of camera.

The K-7 AF is definitely faster than the K20D, I now get probably double the number of keepers from a game. In good light, that is sunny, I am sometimes quite amazed at the K-7's AF speed, getting several in-focus shots of someone running (not straight at me usually, but an angled run, so not "across" me either). My last game was a record, I got 99 keepers. This is with a Sigma 70-200/f2.8 with a Sigma 1.4x TC on. Without the TC it's even better.

No way can I afford, or justify, two systems. I think your idea of the K-7 as a family-type camera is a good one. The problem with larger cameras is they can tend to be left behind when you head out the door, I love the K-7 size. Currently my dream lens, the Sigma 120-300/f2.8, is not even available in Pentax mount, not that I could afford it! But nice to have that option!

Personally I wouldn't start a new forum, there's sooo many out there already.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Free: Nikon Cafe

Free: Nikongear

registration is in order, though.

and of course, there's Fred Miranda as well.
Thanks Bart, those 3 appear to be the top ones. There doesn't appear to be one dominant Nikon one like this for Pentax or POTN for Canon.
10-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually started with the *istDs, then K20D, then K-7, so haven't used a K10D sorry.

Yes I see the K-7 as competent in sports, but of course I have no experience with anything else. Someone else used to maybe a C or N top model may form a different opinion after using the K-7. I wouldn't say it's great or fantastic though, but again tricky to say without experience of another make of camera.

The K-7 AF is definitely faster than the K20D, I now get probably double the number of keepers from a game. In good light, that is sunny, I am sometimes quite amazed at the K-7's AF speed, getting several in-focus shots of someone running (not straight at me usually, but an angled run, so not "across" me either). My last game was a record, I got 99 keepers. This is with a Sigma 70-200/f2.8 with a Sigma 1.4x TC on. Without the TC it's even better.

No way can I afford, or justify, two systems. I think your idea of the K-7 as a family-type camera is a good one. The problem with larger cameras is they can tend to be left behind when you head out the door, I love the K-7 size. Currently my dream lens, the Sigma 120-300/f2.8, is not even available in Pentax mount, not that I could afford it! But nice to have that option!

Personally I wouldn't start a new forum, there's sooo many out there already.

Thanks Bart, those 3 appear to be the top ones. There doesn't appear to be one dominant Nikon one like this for Pentax or POTN for Canon.
Thanks for the reply. I have K20D, upgraded from a short period of K10D ownership. The difference in AF and AF.C between the two are not significant. When I got K-x, the AF is improved especially on less hunting. K20D is sufficient in many of my needs. I don't need fast frame rate but I see lacking in low light shooting as in party with K20D and FA 43mm f/1.9 that hunts for AF with the flash mounted and focus light assistant working. The AF hunting takes away smiles from people in that painful second or two in hunting for focus. Samples in focus hunting in a party

And I recently shot air shows with K20D and F* 300mm f/4.5 and 1.7x AFA and though AF.C is not as good as other systems, it is quite alright in the shooting. But I will think K7 will do better.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.
Hin
10-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

wasn't there a nikonforums and canonforums built by the same folks (pentaxforums?)
i thought i saw that about a month ago but can't seem to find it anymore.

does it still exist or was i dreaming?

10-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

www.canikonforums.com

Oh wait...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

adam,

the canikonforums.com leads back to pentaxforums.com.
is this the right link?

tnx
10-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
adam, the canikonforums.com leads back to pentaxforums.com. is this the right link? tnx
Yes, that was a joke. The canikon forum has been closed

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Instead of answering your question. I actually have a question to you. I am thinking of a dual system with Nikon and consolidate my K-x and K20D into one digital body. I know that you have K7 and perhaps k10D experience. Since you are very much into sports photography, do you see K7 as competent in sports? Does the AF and AF.C in K7 much improved from K10D/K20D that you see quite fit for sports photography.

I am thinking of a dual system as follows:

Pentax K7
  • An upgrade from selling both of my K-x and K20D
  • Keep all small primes in 15,35,43,77 and my Cosina 55mm f/1.2
  • Serve as a traveling, freelance, and family camera with video capability
  • My k-x and K20D will swap the funds for a new K7 with hopefully some extended warranty
  • Will dump all the zoom lenses 10-17, 50-135, 300, 1.7x, battery grip, AF540 flash
  • May keep the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and AF280 for freelance work as a backup body
  • My K7 is a body with primes in 15,35,43,55,77

Nikon D7000

A better backup or main body that is more durable and capable than my K-x and K20D
  • An occasional video gig for my boys in school and traveling
  • Two initial zooms with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 with VR
  • Currently still investigating the main kit lens with Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 VR and Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 as they are quite expensive to own
  • A new flash system for strobist learning and studio work, starting with SB700
  • A system with longer lens and more choices of 3rd party lenses as well as AI compatible older lens
  • A broader upgrade path to full frame and other bodies
  • Future longer lens in the range of 80-400, 100-300, 300 primes and TC.
  • My Nikon is a body with zooms and more towards the longer end needs as in 55-300 VR, and other better zooms as I progress

And for people with interest in forums, I may even venture to start a forum for Pentax, Nikon, Canon escapee and people who loves new trend as in Samsung nx10 and Fuji x100 digital.

It is expensive to run two systems as a hobbyist with no income support from the hobby, I will be also interested in merging the 2 dual systems into 1 in the planning. You can call it as Pentax Escapee

Thanks,
Hin
Hold your horses. We know too little yet, but from what I have seen from reports on this forum so far, the K-5 is a winner and you could save some significant $$$ by staying with one system!