Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Help Takumar 50mm 1.4 in Olympus E-PL1

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi friends;
I bought an Olympus E-PL1 Tkaumar and a 50mm 1.4 and an adapter from ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/M42-C-Mount-adapter-2-Micro-4-3-EP1-GF1-EPL1-Movie -lens-/400116529881? = en & Hash = Lens_Accessories item5d28cdbad9) and I can not manual focus.
Attaching the lens, the aperture setting is down. I'm trying in A (aperture priority), but the result is that the photo attached.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.

Attached Images

10-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

That adapter looks too short for the lens. It may be m42 screwmount, but the registration distance is all wrong. If you really want to salvage it, use an extension tube to bring the distance out.

Looks like m42 is 45.5 registration distance, and m43 is 20mm. So about 25mm extension would be best.

Personally, I'd buy an adapter that works right.
10-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
That adapter looks too short for the lens. It may be m42 screwmount, but the registration distance is all wrong. If you really want to salvage it, use an extension tube to bring the distance out.

Looks like m42 is 45.5 registration distance, and m43 is 20mm. So about 25mm extension would be best.

Personally, I'd buy an adapter that works right.
I agree, looks like that adapter will physically prevent you from focusing - try the lens without installing it on the camera - does the focusing work OK physically?

If OK is it restricted when you install it into the adapter?
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Just to clarify, each lens is designed to operate from a specific distance away from the film/sensor plane. For an m42 lens like the Tak, that distance from the sensor plane to the back flange must be 45.5mm. The adapter you have appears to put the lens flange about 20mm away from the sensor. At that close of a distance, nothing will ever be in focus.

I had proposed using an extension tube of approximately 25mm to set the lens flange at about 45mm out. Then it would probably work.

But I think my other idea is better: get an adapter that builds the extension into the adapter itself. A working adapter will be about 25mm long too. As you can see, your adapter is recessed so that it provides approximately 0mm extension.

10-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Echo the above statements - that adapter is not the proper registration distance. My 2 K mount adapters are almost an inch deep (should be approx the same registration distance as the m42 lens).
10-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
[langtitle=pt]Thanx[/langtitle]

Dear friends;
Thank you for your time helping me.
Actually this adapter selling for M42 is a farce.
I tested the lens by holding a greater distance and got focused.
So just the right adapter.
Once again, thank you.
Attached Images