Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Changing platforms is a pretty significant decision. I wouldn't let a rebate for a questionable printer like the R1900 be the driver here. What requirements does this printer fulfill? The printer can output high quality color glossies, but it has some issues and limitations: mediocre B&W, mediocre matte output, small ink carts, and QA that's spotty. The inkset is a generation behind too.

I had the R1800, sold it, and strongly considered the R1900. After seeing various output examples in hand, and reading about operational problems, I lost my interest rather quickly.

The Epson R2880 is more versatile and has newer technology. The newer Canon pigment printer 9500 MK II outputs better B&W.

If color glossy output is the only thing you need, then please ignore my advice. Otherwise, think through your real needs.

M

10-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I keep having dreams of picking up a D300 w/ the Tokina trio (11-16, 16-50, 50-135)...
Ben,
Chances are, you'll be disappointed by the 16-50... I remember looking for one, but then I came across a couple of Sigma 18-50 vs Tamron 17-50 VS Tokina 16-50 reviews and my interest got lost along the road...

11-16 on the other hand is the one i'm after as well, although after talking with some underwater photography geeks, it seems that the 12-24 works a lot better (if you're into diving and surfing photography). Oddly enough, it looks like Tokina 12-24 and 10-17 are defacto, the best lenses for underwater photography... though i'm going off topic here...
10-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

D700 really shines with a simple 50 1.8D and 85 1.8D, with a Tamron 28-75 2.8 non-BIM.

Good luck!
Can I ask for what BIM stands for as I am not familiar to non-BIM version of the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens.

Thanks,
Hin
10-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Can I ask for what BIM stands for as I am not familiar to non-BIM version of the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens.

Thanks,
Hin
I figure out the BIM is likely meant for Built In Motor. Does it actually matter if both non-BIM and the BIM version are similarly priced? From my understanding, the BIM version will work with camera bodies such as D40 and D60, giving it more audience in the after-market?

Thanks!
Hin

10-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #20
Inactive Account

That's correct Hin.

BIM means built in motor, and from my understanding the newer versions of the Tammy 28-75 have the motor so that it can be used on the Nikon bodies that require this.

The non-BIM versions of the lens are sought after by those with the higher end Nikon's because they focus faster and truer because they are not using the lenses motor, but rather the camera body's motor to achieve focus.

I can attest that my Nikon version is about 1.5 million times faster (roughly) on my D700 then my K mount version on my K-7. I'm not using the BIM version though, so am only going by what I heard as to whether it is faster than the BIM version.

Incidentally the non-BIM version tends to be a bit cheaper on the used market as well.

Hope this helps.

c[_]
10-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go Leica S2 after you given your arms and legs to get the system you won't have any money left to think about switching EVER again
10-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Ben,
Chances are, you'll be disappointed by the 16-50...
I've been using the Tokina 16-50 to develop a feel for the lens. So far I'd have to say that it isn't a disappointment, but neither is it a must-buy. It is capable and usable, but it just doesn't stand out. If the other lenses you've mentioned do have a bit of sparkle then those should be chosen first.

I find the focus clutch and feel for this lens to be really good, making it my top choice for MF video on the D90. But I don't shoot much video, so that doesn't count for much.

I generally prefer primes. It is hard to get stoked about a zoom. I figure the lens is pretty good for its purpose.

It seems to me that 3rd party lenses are absurdly cheap for Nikon mount. The Tokina brings a good amount of bang for relatively few bucks. But even with respect to value, the other 3rd party constant normal zooms are peers because they are all priced low.

What really interests me about this thread is the idea that the D700 can coax quality out of "lesser" lenses. And I've seen JSherman's pictures using the 85/1.8, so no doubt that quality can be found. I'm just not sure how much to attribute to the operator and how much to the gear (or maybe I am sure where the quality comes from and I'm not sure that I can personally get better photos from a better camera). But it does have me thinking about the D700 in a different way. For example, I have a Nikon 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. I could trade-down to the 1.8 versions and put the difference toward a D700, and I might find the swap to be an upgrade—which is a strange thought from me because I believe in quality lenses over bodies.

10-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #23

yo tengo una humilde Nikon d5000 y estoy feliz
10-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

OP - what did you do in the end?