Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Nikon D7000 High ISO Samples

Been looking for a new camera to replace my K20D and I have searched through many threads for sample images from my two possible choices, Nikon D7000 and Pentax K5. Although there are a few D7000 high ISO shots, it seems that I want to see more and more.

Well, I recently I took a memory card into a store that sells cameras and used their D7000 to get these high iso pictures. Pictures were taken hand held in the worse possible lighting conditions for looking at anything but a TV screen, a movie theatre room.

I am not used to Nikon so I just used manual mode and changed the ISO as I took pictures. My roommate (who shoots Nikon) then converted the images to JPG without any other processing then I cropped and resized.

Anyone please feel free to post any high ISO shots from either cameras.

Here are the Samples:

10-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting shots...
Did you happen to take a 12800 sample also?
Were these shot in JPG or RAW?
What was the NR setting on?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.
10-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
They were shot in raw and I think the NR was set to normal. I still have the RAW files.
Oh, I thought I did do some 12,800 but I did not find any. Did not understand Nikons lableing of the iso.
10-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those look terrible IMHO... K5 wins hands down.

10-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

K-x even wins hands down!
10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seriously, who cares about the D7000. This post shouldn't even be here... it should be posted under Non-Pentax Cameras...
10-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Seriously, who cares about the D7000. This post shouldn't even be here... it should be posted under Non-Pentax Cameras...
Ah well I certainly care...
However, I agree with the last part too(didn't notice)
This should definitely be under other the 'Alternate Brand' forum.

10-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

John, how well do you think these would clean up in comparison to the K5? To my eye, iso 6400 looks quite a bit noisier, even at these sizes as compared to the K5 iso 6400, but then again, I am not a master of working with high iso shots either.
10-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
John, how well do you think these would clean up in comparison to the K5? To my eye, iso 6400 looks quite a bit noisier, even at these sizes as compared to the K5 iso 6400, but then again, I am not a master of working with high iso shots either.
You are correct.
Every D7K image(RAW & JPG) I have seen to date seems nosier than the K-5.
However, whats more interesting is how hard the files are to clean.

Grab one and run it it through ACR or LR3 and see for yourself.
The D7K does not do nice with high ISO noise pattern atm.

Now to be fair, I was told that the new CNX2 does NR like Pentax.
So that remains to be tried.
I downloaded a trial on my workstation and I guess I'll be testing that sometime tomorrow.

That being said, as it stands, the D7K seems about 1 stop noisier than the K-5 when all is said and done.

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-27-2010 at 06:48 PM.
10-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You are correct.
Every D7K image(RAW & JPG) I have seen to date seems noiser than the K-5.
However, whats more interesting is how hard they files are to clean.
Grab one and run it it through ACR or LR3 and see for yourself.
The D7K does not do nice files atm.

I agree with your comments that there are different "qualities" of noise grain, some of which NR can clean more efficiently than others.
The K-7, for example, is noisy at ISO 3200, but cleans up quite nicely - I mainly use Noiseware Pro.
At ISO 6400, its not just noisier, the noise characteristic has changed, and its a lot harder to clean.

Now, Nikon makes a very fine camera system, no doubt about it.
However, people who have played with the D7000 tell me it almost screams of "cost saving"

Pentax threw in everything it had into the K-5...only thing the K-5 doesn't do is make coffee

Nikon, on the other hand, seems to have purposefully positioned the D7000 capabilities to sit somewhere above its entry-level models, but definitely below its higher spec cameras....

Of course, Nikon will still sell heaps of D7000s.....
10-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
For one, I do because it is one of my other considerations as well as the K5. Why is the post here?? I am relative new on this forum and was not sure where to start it. Also, I wanted comparison to K5 stories to help me decide on the K5 or D7000 and not just Nikon specific.

BTW, your harsh reply goes contrary to "creampuff"

Moderators: If you decide this thread is in the wrong place, I wouldn't mind it being moved please.
10-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
Inactive Account

well, i bought the k-5 already, yet this was the first thread that i clicked on today.

given that the d7000 is a direct competitor and we seem to be having the upper hand here, i must say I do care and I'd like to know more about the d7000 while surfing PF. this is especially so if we have the gathering of opinions of fellow Pentax users, and makes for a very interesting and useful point of view.

also, being of the same generation as the k-5 and being one of the most compared to the k-5 pre-release, i'd think it warrants to a certain extent a short place here. i don't look into Non-Pentax cameras section so i'm pretty glad it's here.

they say, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer
10-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Initially with both cameras sharing the same sensor, I expected similar noise handling. However, based on where the discussion of this thread is going and the ability to clean up an image, I would say that I am more on the side of the K5.
-John I do hope to aquire the technique you use to clean up your images. I current use NN and its great with my K20D but did not do too good with these D7000 images.
I still look forward to see what someone with PP experence can do with these images.
10-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #14

I was stunned by the K-5 images post-processed by JohnBee (Thanks very much for the effort). It really seems that Pentax has found the magical noise characteristic recipe.

However, one thing I notice is that the Nikon exposures are often brighter than Pentax exposures. The underexposure of Pentax metering may hide noise.
10-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
However, one thing I notice is that the Nikon exposures are often brighter than Pentax exposures. The underexposure of Pentax metering may hide noise.
Actually underexposure increases noise.