Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Will the new Sigma SD1 making waves for 645D?

I believe this guy is testing one:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkQ8wUGzCZo[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PFOFUkaUww[/YT]

Though it is really hard to assess in a video, the 1:1 looks to be in the same resolve regions as the 645 in terms of resolution. I do hope to see more, this certainly looks exciting!

PS. Here's the website: Carl Rytterfalk Photography
So I guess its legit.

Now if only I could modify my 35/3.5 to fit this mount!

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-05-2010 at 08:17 AM.
12-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my expression was the same = utter amazement
12-31-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

too bad there is no mount adapter for the Pentax lenses. although I think someone could modify the camera mount for it.

anyway, imagine using a Sigma 150 macro and Sigma 100-300 on this camera.

this is a heck of a telephoto camera. if the SD1 really performs like this, we got ourselves a budget MF camera in our hands, minus the FOV.
12-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Though it is really hard to assess in a video, the 1:1 looks to be in the same resolve regions as the 645 in terms of resolution. I do hope to see more, this certainly looks exciting!
no doubt the Sigma is great but 1:1 is not the same for 15mp and 40mp

12-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

doesn't the Sigma have the same bayonet as Pentax just with different contacts?
12-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

PS. Here's the website: Carl Rytterfalk Photography
So I guess its legit.

Now if only I could modify my 35/3.5 to fit this mount!
Not sure what you mean.. It's still a 14mp sensor (4,800×3,200×3 layers) as compared to the 645's 40mp's
AS TO lens compatibility, yes the Sigma is a modified K-mount.
One persons advice.........
QuoteQuote:
The Sigma SA lens mount is nearly identical to the old Pentax K mount setup.....so much so- that if you simply shave off the tabs that protrude from the rear of a "K" lens- it should fit right on.....

...I have several old Pentax lenses and shaved off thier tabs and every single one works with the SD9 (in manual mode of course) beautifully!

I have since modified Nikon lenses to fit the SD9 also....you'll need to trace the SA mount on paper then mark it on the "donor" Nikon lens and cut away- presto- you'll have a fully useable Nikon lens on your SD9.....

.....caution: these mods aren't for everyone. I recommend them to people who feel fairly confident cutting or grinding with a Dremel (rotary tool)....but I've achieved outstanding results with the mounted lenses (Pentax and Nikon) with no modification to the camera itself! The main caution is to monitor how far the lens parts go back inside the Sigma body- some lenses have parts that move way back and possibly hit the dust protector on the SDx cameras....so test the lenses by moving their zooms back and forth as well as aperatures and focus- make sure nothing protrudes into the camera recess- so far I have an additional 5 lenses I've modified this way and they all produce outstanding images (they were old lenses sitting under my table unused- the 50 1.8 is a gem!!!!!)
12-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Not sure what you mean.. It's still a 14mp sensor (4,800×3,200×3 layers) as compared to the 645's 40mp's
AS TO lens compatibility, yes the Sigma is a modified K-mount.
One persons advice.........
there has been a lot of discussion regarding the foveon sensor on the SD1. same goes for the SD14 and SD15 with a 4.7mp x 3 layers. the question rather lies with the resolving power of the sensor where a 4.7MP foveon can match or even outresolve a 12MP sensor with a Bayer filter. so somewhat equivalence between sensor spatial resolution. so even if the SD1 may have a native 14MP foveon sensor, in reality it can obviously do more than what a native 14MP sensor with a Bayer filter could. this somehow follow the same concept as the previous ones. for certain, the spatial resolution equivalence of the SD1 lies along MF territory.

if there are certain issues that the foveon sensor should be worried about, it would be noises at High sensitivities and longer exposures. although, this can be overlooked if the SD1 has a great dynamic range.

as far as mount modification is concerned, are the tabs mentioned about is the rear guard or the aperture lever?

01-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #8

No he's not. As you can read on his web site, the "teddy" shot was taken at a closer distance, and he has then doctored that picture into a larger picture showing his living room.

Therefore he's merely speculating, in his words: "how the Teddy would look at 15.5MP foveon pixels", if he had a camera with 15.5MP foveon pixels.

Given how he presents his speculation to the public, you could say it's a bit of a prank, really. If you were inclined to be tolerant and good-natured about this sort of thing.
03-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

just in case no one saw these yet >>> SD1 Samples: Sigma SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

and 2 sneak peeks of what the link does contain >>>

and

46MP RESOLUTION --- ???

Last edited by Pentaxor; 03-12-2011 at 11:51 PM.
03-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow that does look promising!
Still hard to say without seeing the RAW files, but its enough to drive excitement.
03-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was considering buying into Sigma instead of Pentax when I left Canon. The main reason I didn't was the risk of buying a bunch of SA mount lenses just to have Sigma give up on their camera system (as it looked to me with the release of the SD15).

Now things look more promising for Foveon with the SD1. I hope it works out for Sigma. In fact, I hope Pentax and Sigma work together more like they did with the Hoya 77-segment metering sensor. I'd love to see a Foveon sensor in a Pentax camera body.
03-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'd love to see a Foveon sensor in a Pentax camera body.

Sony seems to do a great job with their own sensors, but personally I prefer what the Foveon sensor could offer.
03-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Sony seems to do a great job with their own sensors, but personally I prefer what the Foveon sensor could offer.
Agreed. IMO, Foveon should have been the standard sensor layout by now, it just hasn't had the R&D funds to back it like Bayer. It's sad when business reasons displace a superior product, but alas it's the world we live in.

I'm rooting for Sigma on this one; perhaps the SD1 will be the barrier breaker to get other companies (Sony/Samsung) interested in buying licensing or coming up with something better. I'm sure the ISO noise problems would be reduced over time with a proper R&D budget (sheesh, even on Sigma's budget the noise levels have halved on the SD1 vs the SD15 with 3x more pixels! src: Carl Rytterfalk's latest blog post).

As far as damaging 645 sales, I think it's unlikely. Sigma DSLRs are still primarily an enthusiast only market. I imagine most 645 owners are pro's and aren't willing to risk buying into the SA lens mount with so many more established lenses under Pentax.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 03-13-2011 at 09:27 PM.
03-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Agreed. IMO, Foveon should have been the standard sensor layout by now, it just hasn't had the R&D funds to back it like Bayer. It's sad when business reasons displace a superior product, but alas it's the world we live in.

I'm rooting for Sigma on this one; perhaps the SD1 will be the barrier breaker to get other companies (Sony/Samsung) interested in buying licensing or coming up with something better. I'm sure the ISO noise problems would be reduced over time with a proper R&D budget (sheesh, even on Sigma's budget the noise levels have halved on the SD1 vs the SD15 with 3x more pixels! src: Carl Rytterfalk's latest blog post).

As far as damaging 645 sales, I think it's unlikely. Sigma DSLRs are still primarily an enthusiast only market. I imagine most 645 owners are pro's and aren't willing to risk buying into the SA lens mount with so many more established lenses under Pentax.
I'm not sure about the risk factors involved into investing with the SA mount. Sigma has pretty much survived selling their own lenses for decades and some of them which have notable outstanding qualities, especially the recent ones (not the old bunch) and have invested and ventured into selling their own lenses on 3,4,5 other mounts which somehow has gotten the nod not only of enthusiasts. besides, it's been almost a decade I believe since they entered the dslr market. IMO, they are on a better standing than the recent m4/3 cameras. being a lens supplier certainly has it's perks. that in a way kinda helped them finance their ventures. maybe a merge or some stock options with Sony would make it a much more easier task for them with this project.
03-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #15

Wow that sample looks amazing! Sigma may become a hit yet!