Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
It will be interesting to see how Fuji develops this new platform. Currently, Fuji offers a drone army of cheap consumer point-n-shoots. But 7-8 years ago they had their "Super CCD" pro DSLRs - the S3 and S5 - which were essentially Nikon D2 and D200 bodies with Fuji electronics. Those sensors were novel at the time and, even by today's standards, offered outstanding dynamic range if nothing else. They occupied a specialized, niche market much like Sigma does today with their Foveon cameras.
im really not that much interested in the specifics of the sensor in regards to performance. with fuji’s reputation, its hard to imagine it will be anything short of excellent. for me, its actually about everything else. image quality is I think, a given.

01-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #32

Here's a short video of the X100 viewfinder:
01-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the VF looks large enough for me.
01-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which sensor?

Does anyone know what sensor is X100 using?

There is an opinion that it uses either the one in Nikon D90 or D300s. This was very disappointing for me. I am very excited about X100. But to use a 2 year old APS-C sensor is just baffling. I want to expect that the sensor performance of X100 is at par with the latest Sony sensors in k-5 and D7000.

01-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Does anyone know what sensor is X100 using?

There is an opinion that it uses either the one in Nikon D90 or D300s. This was very disappointing for me. I am very excited about X100. But to use a 2 year old APS-C sensor is just baffling. I want to expect that the sensor performance of X100 is at par with the latest Sony sensors in k-5 and D7000.
neither. Fuji has always produced their own type of sensor. although this is obviously a first for Fuji to use a CMOS sensor, this doesn't mean that Fuji is incapable of having the resources to finance the development of a sensor. although I have to admit that the term "custom sensor" does raise some questions. however, I don't think it is entirely Fuji unique, nor is it an entirely borrowed sensor. from my understanding, it could be an implementation of two sensor technologies that could work together. not necessarily a Super CCD but some of the technological implementation that was used on the Super-CCD sensor, now being implemented on the CMOS sensor. implementation such as great DR and High ISO quality.

as far as the rumor is concerned, I dunno what made people say that the x100 uses the D90 and D300s sensor. if it does indeed uses either sensor, I wouldn't be worried since it won't be just a plain D90, D300s sensor, but a hybrid one. so it can be as good or slightly better than the one being used on the K-5 and D7000. plus the catch is, it's an affordable portable professional camera that can serve as a back-up. and as far the viewfinder is concerned, it looks better than the one we see on the Pentax cameras.
01-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #36
Banned

im still excited! and im gearing up to sell my K-7 to help fund it. looks to be an excellent camera.
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
im still excited! and im gearing up to sell my K-7 to help fund it. looks to be an excellent camera.
I'm pretty excited, too... a 23mm f/2, full, easy-access manual controls, 12mp aps-c (aps-c!), and very small, stylish... $1200 though. Little expensive for a toy or an impulse purchase.

01-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I'm pretty excited, too... a 23mm f/2, full, easy-access manual controls, 12mp aps-c (aps-c!), and very small, stylish... $1200 though. Little expensive for a toy or an impulse purchase.

I think ‘Toy’ is a bit rough, don’t you? people would take this far more serious if it had an interchangeable lens system, but likely would never shell out for more than the body and one fuji lens anyway. so what would be the point, in giving the people a body that would just get snapped up by people looking to only attach leica, zeis, voiglander, etc lenses? I know that if they did, it would be huge because the IQ gain over the current popular platfrom for these lenses (m4/3) is a big deal, but how would that help fuji? this thing is a serious camera for its class and despite what you might think about the Leica x1 (its current popular ‘rival’) this thing blows it out of the water. and lets face it, just like m/43 isn’t really a serious contender against a full DSLR kit, neither is this. but for some people, a single focal length lens and only that lens is more than they could ever need. I own K-7 and 99% of the time, the only focal length I use is 55mm, despite having a hoard of lenses. with film (using my SV or my leica M3) 35mm is virtually all I use and as I grow to use this focal length more and more, having a quality digital that is smaller lighter and more discrete than even my K-7 could ever hope to be is a great thing. in short I don’t feel limited by the fixed focal length, a lot of people wont. and as such, I don’t think the single focal length makes it any less ‘serious’ of a camera.

maybe for you I guess, its a toy or impulse item, but I hope you can see that, for a lot of people this can be a serious tool capable of serious results. the price however I wont argue, is too high. especially since the designers didn’t eliminate all the ridiculous ‘P&S’ quarks from the camera, that can give people the wrong impression. for example, the fake ‘shutter’ sounds (though they can all be turned off). it doesn’t fit with the ‘professional’ image Fuji is trying to create, and I think they could push harder to give a more serious end product. but being a model of the ‘Finepix’ series, I guess its no surprise that it could be hard to take seriously. but all in all, its a huge step in the right direction for digital cameras in my opinion and for the right person, can be an excellent serious replacement for a bulky not very discrete DSLR.

Last edited by séamuis; 01-24-2011 at 05:38 PM.
01-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #39
Veteran Member

for what it's worth, it's the only impulse item that really got my attention that seriously long as far as camera fetish goes. even Leica couldn't make me like the X1, which is considered as a gem by a few Leicaphiles. for me, it's just an overpriced lemon.
01-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Fujifilm FinePix X100 First Look Preview: Digital Photography Review
01-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #41
Banned

Looks brilliant! makes me even more excited. this is looking to be truly a wonderful camera. reading the first look, and seeing the latest prototype, there are a few things that aren’t as great as id like, but im really wanting this camera.
01-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I can't wait to see some actual images from it the first look at what appears to be a final pre-production model sounds excellent. I will have to wait on it though for a while (not a bad thing as prices tend to settle downward. I imagine once initial demand is fulfilled it will creep down to under a 1000 (probably just under) which is about where i imagined it
01-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Assuming it's not a limited availability thing forever, I'll definitely be getting one to replace my GF1 when it drops under $1000.
01-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #44
Veteran Member

not even out yet and already being discounted in Toronto $1080 with an 8g card

Aden Camera

these guys are usually the cheapest place in town, but service is spotty sometimes (though not anywhere near as bad as the Brooklyn guys)
01-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #45
Veteran Member

sample pics released

A Norwegian journalist reviewed a pre-prod version of the camera and posted pictures including high ISO shots.

Use Google translate for the english translation
SNIKTITT: Fujifilm X100 - Akam.no

Pictures are not bad at all. Compared to D7000, there seems to be a bit more NR but very close.