Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

If it comes in priced the same as an FA31 it will be difficult to choose between them. (Of course, I can afford neither.)
my quandary (cripes it would be the same if it came in at the price of a da 40 right now )

02-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
At first I had no interest in this camera, which looked to be yet another high-priced fetish object. but coming back and reading the engineering promo I can see they thought through every aspect and have made some innovative progress.

If it comes in priced the same as an FA31 it will be difficult to choose between them. (Of course, I can afford neither.)
I had no problem making the decision ...I have sold a couple of Limited lenses I had purchased to make up a compact travel outfit and along with some winnings from the Grey Cup game, have those funds sitting in my PayPal account and the X100 on pre-order from Henry's.
02-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I had no problem making the decision ...I have sold a couple of Limited lenses I had purchased to make up a compact travel outfit and along with some winnings from the Grey Cup game, have those funds sitting in my PayPal account and the X100 on pre-order from Henry's.
how much is Henry's price offer? if it'll cost me $500 extra, I'll just rather go south of the border.
02-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #79
Veteran Member

henrys like south of the border is around 1199
Aden on yonge st is 1080
cheapest if seen in North america

02-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #80
Banned

cost more than my Leica M3, but would certainly be a quality digital partner. im still very eager to get my hands on it. how soon would one guess they might dip to 1000 USD?
02-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #81
Veteran Member

i'd bet by christmas
black friday in the us may see some dumb prices if they are available
boxing day in canada same thing
02-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i'd bet by christmas
black friday in the us may see some dumb prices if they are available
boxing day in canada same thing
Boxing day with only 5 cameras is on sale in the whole Canadian market while the rest would be sold at market price. good luck !

02-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #83
Veteran Member

It wont be a doorcrasher this year maybe next
This tear itll be about price competitiom if any are left to sell
It would be 5 per store for a doorcrasher
I would think (i spent a long time in that business - go to any store boxing day and say another guy offered you 950 and i bet they take it
02-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It wont be a doorcrasher this year maybe next
This tear itll be about price competitiom if any are left to sell
It would be 5 per store for a doorcrasher
I would think (i spent a long time in that business - go to any store boxing day and say another guy offered you 950 and i bet they take it
forget about crashing the gates. I know how this works as well. not to mention the campers that can wait in line for 2 days. not worth the line-up I should say. most of them are just probably there to do buy and sell rather than really want the stuff. aside from the disgusting store staff that hoard the goodies for themselves or have someone else buy it for them or sell them on craigslist at market value or more or a bit less (depending on the supply).

maybe if we can get a known dealer from Japan, we could order and get one for $800 + tax and shipping would be more or less at $950. still cheaper than $1,200. although price would still be an enigma for the remaining 9 months depending on what the competition has to offer.
02-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #85
Veteran Member

We had really strict rules on doorcrashers when i was in the business
If someone on staff was caught trying to pull a stunt like that they would be fired
02-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
how much is Henry's price offer? if it'll cost me $500 extra, I'll just rather go south of the border.

When I placed my order the price was $1099 ...gone up $100 since.
02-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Aden camera must have been stepped on by Fuji because they have raised their price to the more standard 1199.

withing 2 months of release if there is inventory available the price will come down at street level. if it continues to be so hot you have to wait for one then don't expect any movement. Simple supply and demand
there is always someone willing to whore their prices but they aren't always the best shop to deal with so it becomes more of a crap shoot. personally i would wait till it's out and then negotiate in person at a shop for cash. (saves them cc costs which can be as much as 5% now days) big chains will be less likely to move up front and will respond to the small guys in the market on a case by case basis. After 25 years in CE retail that is what i would have done. keep my margin and respond to market forces. when there is a surplus the price will adjust permanently in the market
02-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
maybe if we can get a known dealer from Japan, we could order and get one for $800 + tax and shipping would be more or less at $950. still cheaper than $1,200. although price would still be an enigma for the remaining 9 months depending on what the competition has to offer.
I would bet dealer cost is well above $800 so not likely to happen. In a lot of cases in the past japan has been more expensive not less.
and buying from japan would mean no warranty in Canada. buying from the US means the same. Warranties are the responsibility of the local distribution and are funded by local sales.
02-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #89
Veteran Member

This might make me a pariah here, but after months of lusting after a K5 I put down 1000 euros on a preorder of the X100. It's like they designed this camera for me specifically. I'm keeping my K10D if I need other focal lengths.
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #90
Veteran Member

If I had the money I'd do the same. At the moment I can't justify if when a DA 21mm is less than half the price. Not that I think the X100 is overpriced, I think it's actually pretty good.