Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Is that observation from personal experience?
I owned K10D and K20D before, Kx now and GH2 now... but you can point your GH2 camera into the nice blue skies and try not to use any NR in raw converter... enjoy the skies full of noise @ base ISO... it is clearly much dirtier than Kx (12mp Sony), Sony only made things better since Kx generation... so may be GH2 can compete @ higher ISO w/ 10mp CCD in K10D, but not at a low, base ISO... pretty much the same story w/ Samsung sensor - it is better at low, base ISO than GH2 and they are both ugly @ high ISO, but GH2 doing better... but that is vs Samsung, not Sony

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 01-18-2011 at 08:29 AM.
01-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
I owned K10D and K20D before, Kx now and GH2 now... but you can point your GH2 camera into the nice blue skies and try not to use any NR in raw converter... enjoy the skies full of noise @ base ISO... it is clearly much dirtier than Kx (12mp Sony), Sony only made things better since Kx generation... so may be GH2 can compete @ higher ISO w/ 10mp CCD in K10D, but not at a low, base ISO... pretty much the same story w/ Samsung sensor - it is better at low, base ISO than GH2 and they are both ugly @ high ISO, but GH2 doing better... but that is vs Samsung, not Sony

I can see a little bit of pattern noise in blue skies. But only @ 100% crop. And even then it's very mild and easily cleaned with a little NR.

Question - does this noise appear in prints? What size? Are there other conditions outside of 100% crops where you can see the noise?

I'm comparing the GH2 to the K20d and K-x as well. I'm not seeing big differences in IQ that would discourage me from using the GH2 for paid, published work. Are there situations where you are choosing the K-x instead of the GH2 because of IQ issues?

I haven't tried printing yet, but that's next on the list.
01-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting color comparison between the GH2 and the K20d:

Damn K20d missed focus again! Arghhh!!!!
01-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got the GH2 within the last week. It was a tough decision and I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it or not... the K5 may end up winning out. Who knows though, I seem to change my mind from minute-to-minute in the last 24 hours.

I wrote up a whole review for Steve Huff's site (it actually started off as a post on DPR, but he saw it and asked if I wanted to share my view on his site too). Here's the link if anyone's interested...

Me and the Panasonic GH2 by Amy Medina | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

I'm not sure where I stand honestly. At base ISO there is a surprising amount of noise (even if very fine and "grain-like"). Usually it doesn't bother me, and the Olympus EP2 isn't far off in performance (though I think it fairs a tiny bit better honestly). For some reason though, I seem to be struggling to pull the most out of the raw files, and they somehow lack a certain amount of depth I can get with the EP2, K-x and M8.

Problem is, I like it for it's video capabilities and really wanted a camera that could do both. I think the K5 would, by far, out perform the GH2 in regards to photos, but the GH2 is going to kick the K5's butt when it comes to video (purely because of the K5's lack of manual video controls -- FRUSTRATING!). Oh... my head is spinning. LOL!

And really, the K-x kicks both the EP2's and GH2's butts when it comes to noise performance... I'd imagine the K5 is even better.

I am going to give myself some more time with the GH2 before I decide whether to sell it or keep it...

John... using ACR, how are handing the noise vs. detail?

Some GH2 images I've shot in the last week:

Last edited by DRabbit; 01-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.
01-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Amy, nice post and nice photos. It's funny that we were both faced with the same decision - K5 or GH2 - and ended up with the GH2. I'm not considering returning mine, though - the video is too important to me, and I'm already plotting to buy the K-5 in a couple of months anyway ...

Regarding the noise @ base ISO. It is there, but I just ignore it. And you know what, it goes away !!!

I just did a lettersize test print - even under an 8X loupe I'm not seeing anything to worry about. When viewed at normal viewing distance, it's not affecting my viewing experience. And it had a lot of blue sky:

Mind you, most of my paid work ends up in a magazine, and the kind of "noise" that we are talking about with the GH2 just won't show up. If you are doing oversized gallery work (much greater than 8x10) and that is your primary concern, then maybe the GH2 isn't the right camera.

For the longest time I struggled with, "ok, the K-5 video isn't the best, but is it good enough?" After seeing what the GH2 produces, no. I am very much dedicating 2011 to getting more into video, and the GH2 is the tool with the fewest limitations/restrictions. And I do think that I got a decent still camera to boot. My experience (so far) is that the GH2 gives pretty much every Pentax bar the K-5 and 645D a run for its money.
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to know it isn't showing up in prints. I've gotta get some of my new shots on my Apple TV to see how they fair there... I'm sure they'll hold up just fine. There's just something that bugs me that I can't put my finger on, but I don't know if it's the camera sensor itself or my need to just get more familiar with it.

I too am hoping the tax man will give me some extra money to buy the K5 also. I think it could be outstanding if it just offered the manual controls. The K-x does REALLY well on video and the in-body image stabilization is phenomenally good for video. Such a shame they didn't pay more attention to the video side of things on the K5.

Let's definitely keep in touch! My goal for 2011 is also to get more into video and get better at it. Maybe we could even get together sometime, since I'm right in NY! We should put together a tri-state Pentax (and GH2) meeting in the city one day...

BTW, I did get the adaptor for using the Limited lenses on the GH2... I haven't tried either of them yet (40 or 70) but I plan to soon. Right now I'm going through testing some of my M-glass first. Will be fun to see how the Pentax lenses do too!
01-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting thread. As the (happy) owner of an E-pl1, and owning a few pancakes, which adapter did you use to give aperture control on the DA ltds?

01-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Good to know it isn't showing up in prints. I've gotta get some of my new shots on my Apple TV to see how they fair there... I'm sure they'll hold up just fine. There's just something that bugs me that I can't put my finger on, but I don't know if it's the camera sensor itself or my need to just get more familiar with it.

I too am hoping the tax man will give me some extra money to buy the K5 also. I think it could be outstanding if it just offered the manual controls. The K-x does REALLY well on video and the in-body image stabilization is phenomenally good for video. Such a shame they didn't pay more attention to the video side of things on the K5.

Let's definitely keep in touch! My goal for 2011 is also to get more into video and get better at it. Maybe we could even get together sometime, since I'm right in NY! We should put together a tri-state Pentax (and GH2) meeting in the city one day...

BTW, I did get the adaptor for using the Limited lenses on the GH2... I haven't tried either of them yet (40 or 70) but I plan to soon. Right now I'm going through testing some of my M-glass first. Will be fun to see how the Pentax lenses do too!
My wife and I are always looking for excuses to go to the city. Maybe it is time for a tri-state Pentax/GH2 meetup/shootup. We'll need a fun public event - like the parade if the Jets win the Superbowl.

Did I just say that out loud?
01-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't go saying that too loudly in NE!
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

*sigh* I give up on promoting my forum.

Although there is a great GH2 review on it.
01-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
*sigh* I give up on promoting my forum.

Although there is a great GH2 review on it.
No disrespect, man, but I already spend too much time online. Joining another forum won't help that.
01-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So here's a quick review on some of the benefits of the EVF:

01-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL... Unicorn Meat...
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another video, 20mm F1.7 in iAV or iMovie of iDiot mode, whatever they call it. I've got it set for 720p 60fps:

01-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I can see a little bit of pattern noise in blue skies.

a bit ... just switch the NR off

But only @ 100% crop. And even then it's very mild and easily cleaned with a little NR.
and when I will sufficiently downsize my cell ph camera .JPGs they cam rival FF cameras ... you just can't see any noise there... never.

Question - does this noise appear in prints? What size? Are there other conditions outside of 100% crops where you can see the noise?
please, do not start this old trick about prints...

I'm comparing the GH2 to the K20d and K-x as well. I'm not seeing big differences in IQ that would discourage me from using the GH2 for paid, published work.
any camera can be used for a paid, published work - that depends on the photog in the first place, not the camera... and that does not make the camera better, only you.