01-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Walked into B&H yesterday to buy a K-7 and walked out with a D90

With my wife owning a D7000 now I just couldn't stand my K200 anymore seeing
for myself the results of 1600 ISO on newer cameras. I have never been one to
buy the latest camera, always a generation behind. With the D90 being phased
out I can say from what I am seeing here at home last night the D90 is still an
awesome camera, even up against the D7000.

Nothing against the K-7 however, it is a great little brick of a body. It was the
Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 "micro" lens that did it for me. This kind of lens that Nikon puts
out is and was my decision to jump camps. All of its specs along with an
aluminum body probably considered a "Limited" lens if it had a Pentax name on it
except its price is under $500.

Overall I have to say the D90 is a very impressive camera and already owning a
D50 at one time, jumping back into the Nikon menu system was a smooth
transition.

Purpose of this post besides my new purchase? It was the B&H Manhattan mega
store experience. I s*i* you not, the DSLR counter is approx. 100' long!
You stand in line looking at a large LCD flat screen TV waiting for the next avail
sales associate to pop up on screen telling you which one to go to. I have never
seen or experienced anything like it until yesterday.

Last edited by PinarelloOnly; 01-18-2011 at 06:42 AM.
01-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to say, the Nikon lens lineup for crop sensor cameras is awfully nice these days. The cheap 35mm F1.8, some reasonably sized zooms - makes sense to share lenses with the wife, as well.

Congratulations on the purchase. B&H is on my list of must-visits when I make it to NYC.
01-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PinarelloOnly Quote
It was the
Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 "micro" lens that did it for me. This kind of lens that Nikon puts
out is and was my decision to jump camps. All of its specs along with an
aluminum body probably considered a "Limited" lens if it had a Pentax name on it
except its price is under $500.
This intrigued me as I've never seen a small metal Nikon lens, so I looked up this 60mm macro in B&H web site and, well, to me it looks nothing at all like a pentax limited. It's much bigger and heavier than even the FA31 which is easily the largest of the Pentax limiteds. I have no doubt though it would offer superb IQ, most Nikkor lenses do.
01-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Banned

Pentax lenses on EOS.

HI, is anyone able to give me any first hand experience of using Pentax M42 & K lenses on a Canon EOS.I have a room full of Pentax glass & cameras but I NEED tethering and tired of waiting on Pentax if and when.I shoot solely macro flora in studio and field and just spent close to $500 on a motorized focusing rail for Zerene stacking and have to have complete reliable remote control of every function from my Mac or iPod touch,Any first hand experience with using my lenses for this would be greatly appreciated.Please no replies on trying different software as I already have that planned and know what I want I just need a body that is fully tethered.Thanks

01-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Pentax lenses on EOS. HI, is anyone able to give me any first hand experience of using Pentax M42 & K lenses on a Canon EOS.I have a room full of Pentax glass & cameras but I NEED tethering and tired of waiting on Pentax if and when.I shoot solely macro flora in studio and field and just spent close to $500 on a motorized focusing rail for Zerene stacking and have to have complete reliable remote control of every function from my Mac or iPod touch,Any first hand experience with using my lenses for this would be greatly appreciated.Please no replies on trying different software as I already have that planned and know what I want I just need a body that is fully tethered.Thanks
Please start a new post as this has nothing to do with the original one
01-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Please start a new post as this has nothing to do with the original one
excuse me But I thought this was for non Pentax questions!!
01-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This sub-forum yes, but not this thread. Buying a D90 has nothing to do with M42's on Canons.

01-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PinarelloOnly Quote
You stand in line looking at a large LCD flat screen TV waiting for the next avail
sales associate to pop up on screen telling you which one to go to. I have never
seen or experienced anything like it until yesterday.
At Fry's electronics, some guy points to the cashier. At my deli, it's a paper number you hold.

Have fun with the new camera :-)
01-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
This intrigued me as I've never seen a small metal Nikon lens, so I looked up this 60mm macro in B&H web site and, well, to me it looks nothing at all like a pentax limited. It's much bigger and heavier than even the FA31 which is easily the largest of the Pentax limiteds. I have no doubt though it would offer superb IQ, most Nikkor lenses do.
Sorry if I mis-represented I meant more of build quality and optics not the size of
the lens. But yes, it is very much built like a Pentax Limited. Using it tonight it is nothing
but astounding. I was once an owner of the Pentax 35mm Limited and the Nikkor is the
quality of the Limited in every way but at 60mm.

Last edited by PinarelloOnly; 01-18-2011 at 07:21 PM.
01-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here you go My new rig. With the awesome "Made in Japan" high build quality 60mm
Nikkor lens......the lens that made me jump ship.

Picture taken with my wife's D7000 at ISO 6400 for ha ha's.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7000  Photo 
01-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Very nice -- I'll bet that's a handy focal length. I REALLY like my 58mm Helios, and would like something similar with AF. When Tamron came out with their 60mm macro I wanted that, BUT...

Let us know how you like the AF performance.
01-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The D90 is a great little camera. I did some trials with a borrowed D7000, and although it's very nice, I felt that my D90 still holds it's own. I actually thought I got more accurate AF with my D90, but I didn't do a robust study of the difference, more of a feeling I got.

Anyway, good choice of bodies and great choice of lenses. Another nice choice on the D90 is the Tamron 60mm f/2 macro - exceptional bokeh.

Have fun! (and consider if you haven't already a 35 1.8G, 50 1.8D, 85 1.8D, 180 2.8 AF-N and 300 f/4 AF (non-AFS) - that should keep you busy in 2011! )
01-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Toy-like? My wife has the D90 and I just don't get that impression. It's not a beautifully dense metal brick like the K7 but it feels like quality. I would say the d3000/5000 is toy-like.

Couldn't agree with you more on the user interface, however.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I have a k7, and had to use my sister's d90 for an evening once and man, was I glad to get my k7 back in my hands! the d90 just felt so toy-like and at the same time non-user-friendly compared to my k7. image-quality wise though, i'm sure it's excellent. and that nikkor lens looks great, too.
just sayin'.
01-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

All camera's are toys in the wrong hands;-)
01-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I tried it too, the D90 is quite biggish to me, you get the same sensor in K-x or K-r for lower price and smaller body, of course without top LCD...
Pentax should really make something like K200 with this sensor
my question is - has the D90 got FF/BF microtuning? I can do it with the servis hack menu on my K-x and K-r has got it too