Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh GXR-system Full Frame K-mount module

Well not news or rumor at the time, but it can be true in the coming year if we all want to.

Ricoh announces to come with a M-mount module for its GXR modulair system build camera. To fit all Leica M-lenses.

What if we all ask Ricoh to make a Full Frame K-mount module. Would there be an interest for?

I will send an email to Ricoh to watch this thread. Just some input on it from everyone.

Since I'm not expecting Pentax to come up with a Full Frame camera in 2011. Or am I wrong?

The GXR system isn't a fast system, so really just a photographers camera. Not for sports or any fast action. It works with SDHC-cards and has a relativily small buffer to work with.

Then the question of what sensor should be in it. A CMOS would be great, but then again who is providing it. The system is probably to slow for a real moviefunction and the battery is quickly depleted using liveview. Then there is this wonderful full frame sensor, CCD, from Kodak that is also in the Leica M9. Would this be a very nice thing to run on?
  1. Put in the 18 megapixel CCD sensor that alsoo is futured in the Leica M9
  2. The sensor of the Nikon D700 could be possible.
  3. A new CMOS sensor from Sony if it is possible to purchase.

Any thoughts on this?

02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the leica module is apsC i believe.
It would be a really interesting option (really the whole system is interesting as I have a few m39 lenses i could adapt to m mount as well (if the m module is less than a leica m6 it may even make a lot of sense for me to do so as a way to build my leica mount collection (yep i need more lenses )

For my purposes a full frame module wouldn't need to be super fast, but image quality would be paramount. a big ccd with no aa filter would be a really nice thing
IMHO
02-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Let's talk about prices!
02-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

Ricoh is very reliable as a brand and that would be a very nice implementation.

02-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm interested in the GXR system even without the capability to mount other brand's lenses on it. If they added a K-mount option, consider me sold!

Note: Didn't Ricoh's film cameras use the K-mount as well?

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 02-01-2011 at 02:04 PM.
02-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the leica module is apsC i believe.
It would be a really interesting option (really the whole system is interesting as I have a few m39 lenses i could adapt to m mount as well (if the m module is less than a leica m6 it may even make a lot of sense for me to do so as a way to build my leica mount collection (yep i need more lenses )

For my purposes a full frame module wouldn't need to be super fast, but image quality would be paramount. a big ccd with no aa filter would be a really nice thing
IMHO
If the Leica Module was full frame I wonder how badly it would have hurt the M9.
02-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'm interested in the GXR system even without the capability to mount other brand's lenses on it. If they added a K-mount option, consider me sold!

Note: Didn't Ricoh's film cameras use the K-mount as well?
Yes Ricoh made K-mount filmcamera's.

Actually just a little different http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K_mount called R-K mount, that's why it is a little dangerous to use Ricoh lenses on our Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
If the Leica Module was full frame I wonder how badly it would have hurt the M9.
It would hurt a lot, but maybe they would not have permission to use the M-mount.

02-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

then i hold no hope of a ff m mount from cosina/whoever then
02-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The Ricoh GXR system still looks really attractive to me. It seems a lot more versatile than the new Fuji X100 that is getting all the buzz.
02-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Actually just a little different Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia called R-K mount, that's why it is a little dangerous to use Ricoh lenses on our Pentax.
Well they made true K mount bodies/lenses but when Pentax went with a closed mount named KA, Ricoh (and Chinon btw) made its own solution, still based on K mount but incompatible with KA (and its evolutions) mount. Some Ricoh lenses are absolutely safe to use, the true K mount (without the pin) ones.
02-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
And back on-topic, who would be interested, what is possible or what may it cost?
02-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

FF, Good Image Quality, low noise high iso (not k5 but better than original 5d would be nice)
good metering, un-cripple the K mount
Good AF (for those who need it I don't)
Don't care about a ton of fancy features just good performance with all my lenses
keep the price sane (ie $2000camera and module 2200 with EVF)
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

(...)
It would hurt a lot, but maybe they would not have permission to use the M-mount.
They don't need any, the Leica-M mount is in the public domain since a few years. This is the reason why Cosina is now able to propose Voigtländer lenses with M mount and not only with LTM / L39 mount like before.
02-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
FF, Good Image Quality, low noise high iso (not k5 but better than original 5d would be nice)
good metering, un-cripple the K mount
Good AF (for those who need it I don't)
Don't care about a ton of fancy features just good performance with all my lenses
keep the price sane (ie $2000camera and module 2200 with EVF)
About the AF. So it is probably contrast AF, or manual focus, or a secondary AF-sensor since it is not a mirror camera.
02-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

And back on-topic, who would be interested, what is possible or what may it cost?
For the right $ I would be interested.
This would be similar to the rumored mirrorless Pentax being discussed currently.

Looks like Ricoh just announced they're making one for leica M-mount lenses - this will compete against the M9/M8 somewhat so i can understand there being a market for them using M-mount.

so why not a K-mount, Nikon-Ai or other mfg's for that matter? - probably a matter of market demand.