Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Why did I order the D7000. Why?

I am smitten. The AF is so quiet, at first I thought it wasn't working. Unfortunately, I only have the kit lens. Still, where my K5 front focused ( but not on LV) the D7000 is spot on. The AF aside light is intrusive but even after I turned it off, focus is great. Based on my experience of one K5 body, the D7000 is, unfortunately much better.
I say unfortunately, because I really wanted the K5 to work and be great. I have several lenses for my Kx, and it would certainly be more convenient, let alone cheaper to stay with one system. So what would people do, sell pentax gear or keep it in hope of a future recovery?

02-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Run both side by side and keep posting your impressions.
D7000 does have pixel mapping, correct?.
02-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Can you post some pics?
02-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
I am smitten. The AF is so quiet, at first I thought it wasn't working. Unfortunately, I only have the kit lens. Still, where my K5 front focused ( but not on LV) the D7000 is spot on. The AF aside light is intrusive but even after I turned it off, focus is great. Based on my experience of one K5 body, the D7000 is, unfortunately much better.
I say unfortunately, because I really wanted the K5 to work and be great. I have several lenses for my Kx, and it would certainly be more convenient, let alone cheaper to stay with one system. So what would people do, sell pentax gear or keep it in hope of a future recovery?
Nice.

The D7K looks like it could be a great non-Pentax alternative but just like the K-5 it's plagued by complaints by new owners.

Sounds like you don't have the back-focus issue but may also be worth you checking yours for problems with inconsistent metering as well as the hot pixel problem, (which is reportedly fixed with the latest firmware).

bazz.

02-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Run both side by side and keep posting your impressions.
D7000 does have pixel mapping, correct?.
d7k does not have pixel mapping
02-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Why not wait for the next greatest Pentax body?
02-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Why not wait for the next greatest Pentax body?
Instant gratification? Anyways, I am sure the D7000 is alright, I dislike it myself but I'm sure its great for some.

Not bad have more then one branded camera anyways. Little verity never hurt anyone.

02-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I can understand that decision, if you only have one or two Pentax lenses, but for those of us that have many lenses we really love in the K mount, it is not so easy to make a switch. No doubt the D7K is a fine camera, but I would rather have a K5 for the features it has that are missing on the D7K. I also think the size and build are better on the K5....provided it is in full operating condition with no problems.

We could compare all day, and there are pros/cons in both cameras, but for many of us we are in a "system' not just a body alone. Everything I have is geared for my Pentax bodies.....even my Lens Cabinet! Practicality takes a front row seat with me, I am not a Pentax Basher or a Fanboy, I just want what works for me and fits within my "system". You may end up with a "system" yourself, and find that it often causes some problems even within the same brand line. You may want to move up the ladder and find the prices are too high.....or the new model may not have the features you were hoping for. Bottom line is, we are never going to get the perfect system in any brand, but never the less, we can all enjoy what we have to the best of our abilities....which in most cases are less than the cameras are capable of delivering.
Regards
02-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I can understand that decision, if you only have one or two Pentax lenses, but for those of us that have many lenses we really love in the K mount, it is not so easy to make a switch. No doubt the D7K is a fine camera, but I would rather have a K5 for the features it has that are missing on the D7K. I also think the size and build are better on the K5....provided it is in full operating condition with no problems.

We could compare all day, and there are pros/cons in both cameras, but for many of us we are in a "system' not just a body alone. Everything I have is geared for my Pentax bodies.....even my Lens Cabinet! Practicality takes a front row seat with me, I am not a Pentax Basher or a Fanboy, I just want what works for me and fits within my "system". You may end up with a "system" yourself, and find that it often causes some problems even within the same brand line. You may want to move up the ladder and find the prices are too high.....or the new model may not have the features you were hoping for. Bottom line is, we are never going to get the perfect system in any brand, but never the less, we can all enjoy what we have to the best of our abilities....which in most cases are less than the cameras are capable of delivering.
Regards
hi, rupert!

i had 6 lenses and still have a k200 + 18-250. by some folks standards, that's nothing, but for me it was a difficult decision.

i contemplated between the d7k and k5 and bought the d7k.
i have my findings in the non-pentax section of this forum.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/127824-month-d7000.html

bottom line is i'm having much more keepers and just like any camera, none is perfect.

regards to otis and festus.

jordan
02-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't even see the relevance of this thread. :ugh:
02-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It makes zero sense to run 2 crop sensor systems. One crop and one FF sure, but 2 crop? Pointless. Decide which you like, which lens line up you like best and sell your other gear.
02-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
I am smitten. The AF is so quiet, at first I thought it wasn't working. Unfortunately, I only have the kit lens. Still, where my K5 front focused ( but not on LV) the D7000 is spot on.

... the D7000 is, unfortunately much better.

...So what would people do, sell pentax gear or keep it in hope of a future recovery?
Did the K-5 FF in good light, or was it only in very low light? Is the D7000 better in other ways, or is it just the AF? If it is just the AF, I'd hang in a while to see if Pentax addresses the problem.

Have you decided which lenses you would buy for the D7000. Taking price into account, I like the Pentax-mount zoom lens selection better, at least for my needs. That is in addition to the Pentax primes.

Jeff
02-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
d7000 has hot pixel issues
k-5 has focus and stain issues.

i imagine k-5's focus issues will be fixed in firmware, they have acknowledged they are working on a fix, but the other two problems cannot be fixed without replacement.
02-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm torn between these 2 cameras. I'd keep my K100D as a MF split focus screen 'oldie'. The D7k has as many issues as the K-5 unfortunately. Very inconsistent outdoor metering on all D7ks, BF/FF on many examples in all lighting conditions (poor calibration?), too bad to correct by in-camera adjustment, tungsten lighting low light AF issues a la K-5, no pixel mapping, useless AF on video so effectively MF as is K-5. No stabilisation on primes. There's more choice on lenses, 3rd party ones as well, so that's a big attraction. The AF ought to be better than the K-5 if it's working properly, but I have yet to see a direct comparison between 2 good bodies rather than one good one and one with obvious problems.

The one thing that keeps me leaning towards the K-5 though is that I see many more impressive images on the web from the K-5! Why? Not sure.
02-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You tested for back focus under tungsten? In addition to the hot pixel issue, many D7000's seem to be suffering from back focus, particularly with the kit lens and the 35mm 1.8g. I had a D7000 and sent it back for that specific issue because even an AF fine tune of -20 could not correct it.