$6K/day?

Fashion world no relation to the real world

02-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #77
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yeah I'm with you....

First a D300, then a D700, now that list of lenses
Well, he wasn't given a D300. He was allowed to use the studio's. He won, so he had a choice of a D300 or money towards a D700.

Don't get me wrong. It sounds like a dream come true for someone. But I gave up calling internet hoax a long time ago. I hope it is true, and I hope this opens some doors for him.
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Well, he wasn't given a D300. He was allowed to use the studio's. He won, so he had a choice of a D300 or money towards a D700.

Don't get me wrong. It sounds like a dream come true for someone. But I gave up calling internet hoax a long time ago. I hope it is true, and I hope this opens some doors for him.
my feelings too. I can believe the scenario, and the rest. I've been around long enough to see crazier than this. I'm happy for him if it's worked out, hell of an opportunity to learn and get started in an industry that is hard to crack as well. as for his work he's posted a few things and has an eye but needs to develop it IMHO
Wish I had this opportunity at his age (Feh I would have squandered it anyway spending my time getting high and sleeping with models LOL - I was his age in the 70's so it's pretty much what i did anyway )
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Sorry, but I'm also feeling the Wendy-B.

02-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
my feelings too. I can believe the scenario, and the rest. I've been around long enough to see crazier than this. I'm happy for him if it's worked out, hell of an opportunity to learn and get started in an industry that is hard to crack as well. as for his work he's posted a few things and has an eye but needs to develop it IMHO
Wish I had this opportunity at his age (Feh I would have squandered it anyway spending my time getting high and sleeping with models LOL - I was his age in the 70's so it's pretty much what i did anyway )

I'd very much like it to be true, and if he can produce some links to work that show his ability, or some other like proof (or even something suggestive of truth,) I'll apologize for raising any doubt. But...

The links to images he's posted in this forum have mysteriously been broken. His lack of knowledge of other camera offerings (what is FX/DX? Nikon is so mysterious!) remind me exactly of the time Wendyb claimed to have 'found' a 50 1.2 and asked the forum what it was, and how it was different than a 50 f2, despite the fact that she supposedly owned 200+ pentax lenses... It was a call for attention.

I don't know. I could be wrong, and if I am, like I said I'll apologize profusely...

But it all just doesn't ring true to me. In fact, it sounds like the person I described below in the infamous wendyb conundrum thread:

QuoteQuote:
This is quite interesting.

I haven't been privy to all of the apparent tussles that have been happening with Wendy, but I came to a similar conclusion independently, based on three odd postings... Going by memory:

1) First time I encountered Wendy, she wrote about going to estate sales on weekends to buy lenses and camera equipment, and then returning home to her husband and children to look over her finds at the dining room table in her Gross Point home. I remember thinking, "how idyllic." She also often ran into a 'Walter' character at the estate sales, who was her nemesis - he would scuffle with her for the equipment, etc. I thought it sounded hilarious, and remember thinking that it almost sounded like a script. But I believed everything.

2) 2nd time - Wendy had just happened to run across and purchase (on a lark) a Pentax MF 50mm lens that said "1:1.2" on it. She started a thread to ask if anyone had ever heard of this "1:1.2" aperture lens, and that she was confused, because she had only seen "1:2" before that. She didn't know what it was, or what it was worth - even though she supposedly had 200+ Pentax lenses and had been using Pentax for decades. I remember thinking: "OK........ Hm."

3) There was some big dust-up in some part of the forum that I missed that involved Wendy, and I think the whole thread was deleted, so I didn't see what was in it, but I gleaned that Wendy had been quite nasty to someone. After that, she started a "I'm leaving the forum" thread, in which she revealed that the reason she had been so nasty was that she had been misdiagnosed with cancer, and that the doctor had been looking at the previous patient's data and thought it was hers. She thought she was dying, so she drove off to some vista overlooking a lake that was her favorite meditation-type place (going by memory here.) The doctor (!) and husband were frantically out looking for her, because they had discovered that the cancer diagnosis was the other patients, and they both found her at the lake vista gazing forlornly out over the water. After everything was explained, they found the 'real' cancer victim and now Wendy was her friend.

That finally did it for me - I realized I was encountering someone who posted excerpts from Lifetime-channel movies - starring her - in her head.

I have ran across people like this in real life, so I think I can recognise it.

I also strongly suspect that alchohol is involved when we see the posts from her.

Anyway, it's a bit sad, and I think we should actually give her a break, for two reasons: 1) either she's really everything she says, and we're untrusting jerks, or 2) she really deperately needs attention, and has a good imagination.

If it's #2, it's not something anyone should get angry about, it's just something to.... be aware of.

If anyone's unaware of this little tidbit of ancient forum lore, here it is:
---> The Wendyb conundrum.

02-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #81
Veteran Member

she is still out there she posted a blog from yesterdays oscars
she is a twat but there are many out there. i like the link to ben's comment lol
some things student has said give me a different feeling but i can be too trusting sometimes
02-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #82
Site Supporter

I knew it was fake from the first post. There is no such thing as a Nikon/Canon snob.

amiright?

(I don't actually know if it is real or fake or anything)

02-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote

I hope I wrote it down properly, that's what's written on the sheet. The lenses are still at work. I need to pick them up, I don't know what I am going to do about the plane... Well I'm still here for a while... I wonder what the next step will be... Should I go on and become a pro..? How..? Hm... I can't afford a studio...

Hrm. Yeah. Go do that. Maybe.
02-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #84
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I knew it was fake from the first post. There is no such thing as a Nikon/Canon snob.

amiright?

(I don't actually know if it is real or fake or anything)

My friend who shot Canon semi-pro for quite some time decided to switch to Nikon. His Canon counterparts in his area, some of which he would consider more than acquaintances, got all bitter and stopped talking to him.
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #85
Veteran Member

My friend who shot Canon semi-pro for quite some time decided to switch to Nikon. His Canon counterparts in his area, some of which he would consider more than acquaintances, got all bitter and stopped talking to him.
Maybe he sold off the lenses they were used to borrowing?
02-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen this countless times within the industry. As a 4th generation photographer in my family I can see why my family didn't get involved with ANY clubs or associations in the photographic world, they all have their agendas.
03-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Thanks jsherman - I just stayed up till 3AM reading the wendyb threads...
03-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #88
Inactive Account

Original Poster
And here we go, something great happened to me and I'm being accused of being a troll. Well, if you don't want to believe me that's up to you since it makes no difference to me. If I were a 'troll' I would not have posted details about my trip in a topic which started out as something else but related. Isn't the aim of trolls to get lots of views and answers and flamewars? I think a troll would have created a separate thread. I have nothing to do with 'Wendy' nor do I have time to waste 'trolling the internet'... Believe whatever you want but please, instead of taking over this thread and accusing me of being a troll go read another thread and ignore this one...

I chose the D700. We are going to pick it up today and then I got an outdoor shoot with the girls. It's very cold! Also I seem to have been mistaken, I'm not getting all these lenses, I get to choose my favourite two. Well I feel like going for the 85mm and the 50mm 1.4
03-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
And here we go, something great happened to me and I'm being accused of being a troll. Well, if you don't want to believe me that's up to you since it makes no difference to me. If I were a 'troll' I would not have posted details about my trip in a topic which started out as something else but related. Isn't the aim of trolls to get lots of views and answers and flamewars? I think a troll would have created a separate thread. I have nothing to do with 'Wendy' nor do I have time to waste 'trolling the internet'... Believe whatever you want but please, instead of taking over this thread and accusing me of being a troll go read another thread and ignore this one...

I chose the D700. We are going to pick it up today and then I got an outdoor shoot with the girls. It's very cold! Also I seem to have been mistaken, I'm not getting all these lenses, I get to choose my favourite two. Well I feel like going for the 85mm and the 50mm 1.4
those would be the 2 I would pick for the D700 as a start. hell of a bit of good fortune. post some d700 work in the full frame thread, and don't abandon the K7 it's still a pretty fine camera
My only issue with Nikon is the IS lenses cost a bomb and no in body SR
When I was your age I had a kit with 2 F bodies a motor drive, a bulk film back and 5 lenses and a flash I got for a steal from someone who needed the cash, i moved it on the same way a couple of years later. If I'd kept it I'd probably still be shooting Nikon
03-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #90
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
those would be the 2 I would pick for the D700 as a start. hell of a bit of good fortune. post some d700 work in the full frame thread, and don't abandon the K7 it's still a pretty fine camera
My only issue with Nikon is the IS lenses cost a bomb and no in body SR
When I was your age I had a kit with 2 F bodies a motor drive, a bulk film back and 5 lenses and a flash I got for a steal from someone who needed the cash, i moved it on the same way a couple of years later. If I'd kept it I'd probably still be shooting Nikon
K-7 shall be my beloved back up. A question though, is the D700 weather sealed like the D300s or is it real weather sealing?
Closed Thread