Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I dunno, maybe he's a hack with money (Or hey, a rich dude who happens to be some kind of good at it ) and it's all a big writeoff/ego-stroking anyway?

Maybe it's on some kind of Dickensian bet, or someone looking for a blank canvas, but I suppose I could see not wanting to put up a 'Hey, Free Nikons' sign or whatever.

You know, it's all from the Department of Not Bloody Likely, but I can see a few scenarios. You know if I was making that kind of bank, I'd do some eccentric stuff with it, too.

Mind you, a lot of kids that work real hard at it would be loading magazines and schlepping for years if they got an apprenticey situation, and often be glad of it. I mean, I learned from older dudes in humbler branches of the trade, and a lot of them really wanted the company, and all that. Hel, I worked in a shop once where everyone was really chosen based on being *entertaining to the boss.* Any time he had to replace somebody it was like casting a sitcom.
That is a valid scenerio!

'student', has this photographer asked you out on a date, perchance?

03-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #107
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have seen this countless times within the industry. As a 4th generation photographer in my family I can see why my family didn't get involved with ANY clubs or associations in the photographic world, they all have their agendas.
#1 to that, been shooting pro for too many years to say but NEVER would I join club/ association and why now I don't or ever will post to internet or these ridiculous sites like flickr,you tube etc.
03-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #108
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
That is a valid scenerio!

'student', has this photographer asked you out on a date, perchance?

I'm not a fairy. It's a he.
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll take 'smile when you say that in the fashion world for 400, Jim.'

03-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'll take 'smile when you say that in the fashion world for 400, Jim.'

rofl

Well seen RML.

03-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
I'm not a fairy. It's a he.
Is there a reason you can't give the name of the photographer, or what the fashion shoot is for, specifically, what product or what line of clothing? How about where the results will be published, or when?

Can you post a photo of any of the equipment you now have in your possession? How about some of your prior work that the photographer looked at (asking again?)

Really, anything to back up what you're claiming in these threads?

03-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #112
Veteran Member

i hate to say it but the doubters are looking correct. Student seems to have disappeared from our midst. I'm a sucker some times for the right story
oh well live and learn

03-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i hate to say it but the doubters are looking correct. Student seems to have disappeared from our midst. I'm a sucker some times for the right story
oh well live and learn

Don't ever fault yourself for being trusting, it's actually a nice trait to have.

Whatever 'student's problem is, let's hope he/she finds a way to deal with it that doesn't involve stringing honest folks along.

When 'wendyb' left, a new persona (Indecent Exposure) appeared in the same thread the next day claiming to be the 'real' "Wendy Bradley", and claimed that she was angry at this 'imposter' for usurping her identity. BS was called right away, and I.E/wendy's inane ploy failed. BUT - Indecent Exposure still pops up from time to time, although they seem to have forgotten that they're the real wendy bradley. Here are a few of her/his latest:

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
Having returned home from quite a wonderful Sports weekend.

Something holds true about Pentax. On the sidelines at the Michigan Indiana football game on Saturday. The press photographers again chuckled " here she is again with her (cough, cough, cough,) Pentax equipment. All 30 or so of these photographers, which I work with on a regular basis, take great fun in poking fun at this. While they run around with their C&N equipment. Boasting their greatest new hard on's in camera equipment

But my next assignment on Sunday took me to the (cough, cough, cough,) Detroit lions @ Packers Game. While unpacking my F* 250-600 from its case another photographer that was also at the Indiana venue. Cracked off a comment of "are you still shooting with those old crap Pentax lenses?"

Another photographer in our group shot back at him " then why the hell is she more published than all of us as a whole?"" Might it be she uses Pentax?"

Not one of them took the time to notice the black tape over the branding on the camera body.
They were to busy poking fun at me for using Pentax. Except the one who noticed.

By now Pentax/Hoya has figured out who I am, but after 30 some years of devotion and cooperation to this brand. Why not use true story about Pentax in the field of the real world?

The response to this should be quite a good read.

And my favorite:

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
When and where, did you come of the opinion and be "qualified" of determining Ansel Adams. "Action Photo's"?

Did he ever take one? Be very careful about your answer on this one. I am his granddaughter.

wendyb: professional, published sports photographer, envied by her Canon/Nikon peers, who is also Ansel Adams' grandaughter!

And now... an ingenue/student who's just won a high-stakes photography contest despite his/her own photographic befuddlement?

Part of me hopes there's more to come.

03-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
And now... an ingenue/student who's just won a high-stakes photography contest despite his/her own photographic befuddlement?
Part of me hopes there's more to come.
PENTAX... Be different! (in that way, you know, crazy)
03-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Has anyone else noticed that Ben, Wendy B, Indecent exposure, and now Student, have never been seen in the same room at the same time?

Mighty suspicious if you ask me.

I just saying.
03-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Not wanting to encourage, but it's all very entertaining!
03-05-2011, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

Not to say this guy is 100% legit, but crazy sh-does happen in real life sometimes.

I got my first real photography mentor via an offer made during a casual conversation on a BART train. I barely knew how to use any camera at the time, but there was a guy beside me with a DSLR and we got to talking about my P&S and shooting raw versus other formats and some other stuff and somehow he realized I was pretty serious about learning to do the whole photography thing right.

He asked me if he could take a look at the pictures I'd taken that day. Well, newbie or not, I must have done something right because not only did he take a higher end memory card out of his own pack to give to me (because he knew I was shooting compressed for lack of more money to buy any more right then) but he also gave me his card and invited me to come and see him and his wife in their studio. After that he did end up mentoring me for a while before I finally left that area to come back here.

For the record he's a long time pro out in the SF Bay area. I'm still a student of his, albeit I'm mostly studying with him at a distance these days. I actually have a new mentor here that he helped me find too.

First mentor has certainly never handed me a $1300 camera, cough, laugh, I wish, but actually he IS the reason I'm heading out there later this month. I'm helping him digitally archive some more of stuff for the better part of a week and getting some one on one tutoring time out of it. Also a free airline ticket and a place to lay my head.

Actually paid? Probably not, but who CARES? No complaints here, baby. I've got 5 days and 4 nights in San Francisco to look forward to, full access to the benefit of his experience for a few hours, and likely I will get the opportunity to play with all his lighting stuff, his new K-5 and probably to handle whatever new Nikon DSLR he has now too.

I can understand why some people might want a potential photo assistant to swap out gear though from working sometimes with him. I'm fortunate in that he is actually a guy who likes Pentax but who also often works with Nikon or Canon sometimes. He's pretty flexible in terms of file types and he doesn't sweat going from one system to another too much. That just makes assisting him a bit easier. But there's no denying getting all the people in the same studio on one system does tend to make for a more efficient work flow.

From what I've seen he tends to use whatever camera and lenses work for the job and that will make his clients more comfortable. But when he's shooting for his own purposes? He's usually got the latest weatherproof Pentax DSLR in his hand and he also uses a lot of older lenses then too.

Cross training is always smart. Whether you're talking software or cameras, I don't think anyone should limit themselves to just one thing. I believe in learning to use several brands of cameras actually. Personal preference is one thing, but if you're continually willing to lose work over it? Then I think it's probably not such a good thing to be hanging onto a particular brand all the time, at least not when it comes to working on the job.

I'll likely will forever be a Pentax person. I have a sincere love of Pentax cameras that seemingly knows no limits. At home it's Pentax. Neither Canon nor Nikon really fits me as well in terms of my needs, but that doesn't mean I'll never own another camera. It just means I'll not part with my Pentax DSLR to have one.

If someone handed me a Nikon and told me I had to learn to use it to do a job? You can bet I'd learn to use it fairly quickly. I'd probably swap it for my K-DSLR the minute I got off work, but I'd still use it on the job if I had to.

I'm not saying the story above was real. I'm not saying it's not. I'm not much into judging people, particularly online that's just not my thing. What I am saying is that strange things do happen once in a while. My whole photographic journey thus far has been a crazy wonderful thing for me. The teachers I've had, the equipment I've gathered it's all been a big huge bit of serendipity in some ways.

In the end I seriously doubt that I'll end up shooting for Vogue like Ben, but just the very idea that I'll be a pro photographer of some sort some time in the next half a decade totally makes me grin because I never once EVER thought I'd really get to do that for a living even though I have loved doing photography from the first time I ever picked up a camera.

If there are such things as fairy godmothers when it comes to photography? I figure I must have the most efficient crew of fairy godmothers on the planet because the unexpected opportunities I've had thus far to gain tools and learn my craft have just been amazing.
03-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Not to say this guy is 100% legit, but crazy sh-does happen in real life sometimes.

I got my first real photography mentor via an offer made during a casual conversation on a BART train. I barely knew how to use any camera at the time, but there was a guy beside me with a DSLR and we got to talking about my P&S and shooting raw versus other formats and some other stuff and somehow he realized I was pretty serious about learning to do the whole photography thing right.

He asked me if he could take a look at the pictures I'd taken that day. Well, newbie or not, I must have done something right because not only did he take a higher end memory card out of his own pack to give to me (because he knew I was shooting compressed for lack of more money to buy any more right then) but he also gave me his card and invited me to come and see him and his wife in their studio. After that he did end up mentoring me for a while before I finally left that area to come back here.

For the record he's a long time pro out in the SF Bay area. I'm still a student of his, albeit I'm mostly studying with him at a distance these days. I actually have a new mentor here that he helped me find too.

First mentor has certainly never handed me a $1300 camera, cough, laugh, I wish, but actually he IS the reason I'm heading out there later this month. I'm helping him digitally archive some more of stuff for the better part of a week and getting some one on one tutoring time out of it. Also a free airline ticket and a place to lay my head.

Actually paid? Probably not, but who CARES? No complaints here, baby. I've got 5 days and 4 nights in San Francisco to look forward to, full access to the benefit of his experience for a few hours, and likely I will get the opportunity to play with all his lighting stuff, his new K-5 and probably to handle whatever new Nikon DSLR he has now too.

I can understand why some people might want a potential photo assistant to swap out gear though from working sometimes with him. I'm fortunate in that he is actually a guy who likes Pentax but who also often works with Nikon or Canon sometimes. He's pretty flexible in terms of file types and he doesn't sweat going from one system to another too much. That just makes assisting him a bit easier. But there's no denying getting all the people in the same studio on one system does tend to make for a more efficient work flow.

From what I've seen he tends to use whatever camera and lenses work for the job and that will make his clients more comfortable. But when he's shooting for his own purposes? He's usually got the latest weatherproof Pentax DSLR in his hand and he also uses a lot of older lenses then too.

Cross training is always smart. Whether you're talking software or cameras, I don't think anyone should limit themselves to just one thing. I believe in learning to use several brands of cameras actually. Personal preference is one thing, but if you're continually willing to lose work over it? Then I think it's probably not such a good thing to be hanging onto a particular brand all the time, at least not when it comes to working on the job.

I'll likely will forever be a Pentax person. I have a sincere love of Pentax cameras that seemingly knows no limits. At home it's Pentax. Neither Canon nor Nikon really fits me as well in terms of my needs, but that doesn't mean I'll never own another camera. It just means I'll not part with my Pentax DSLR to have one.

If someone handed me a Nikon and told me I had to learn to use it to do a job? You can bet I'd learn to use it fairly quickly. I'd probably swap it for my K-DSLR the minute I got off work, but I'd still use it on the job if I had to.

I'm not saying the story above was real. I'm not saying it's not. I'm not much into judging people, particularly online that's just not my thing. What I am saying is that strange things do happen once in a while. My whole photographic journey thus far has been a crazy wonderful thing for me. The teachers I've had, the equipment I've gathered it's all been a big huge bit of serendipity in some ways.

In the end I seriously doubt that I'll end up shooting for Vogue like Ben, but just the very idea that I'll be a pro photographer of some sort some time in the next half a decade totally makes me grin because I never once EVER thought I'd really get to do that for a living even though I have loved doing photography from the first time I ever picked up a camera.

If there are such things as fairy godmothers when it comes to photography? I figure I must have the most efficient crew of fairy godmothers on the planet because the unexpected opportunities I've had thus far to gain tools and learn my craft have just been amazing.

thats a really nice story..thanks very much for sharing it....its quite inspiring

gonna add some rep for it too
03-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Hee, well, as for 'fairy godmothers,' you never know. Nothing so grandiose and perhaps implausible as these claims may be, hey, when I was getting my start at quite a young age, *I* had help. I mean, I knew what I was *doing,* (heh, mostly) but people don't typically send fifteen year old kids out into the night with a suitcase full of Pentax 6x7 stuff to shoot weddings.

Happened, though.

(Also a contributing factor to why I'm here with Pentax today: that big ol' Takumar glass was murder to carry, but it made me look *good.* Since Canon stubbornly refused to go back to the FD mount for some reason, I was happy enough to get in on some of *that* kind of stuff. I digress. )

So, anyway. As for whether or not Student here has left the thread cause it was all BS, or just cause if he was telling the truth, a lot of people in that situation might go, 'I can sit here and take guff or go hang out where I get free camera gear and hopefully an education,' (While one might understand there's cause for great skepticism, here, I could see Student not sticking around, if only to start getting some of those images everyone's been asking to see. )

So, there we are.

You know, maybe people *should* do more stuff like this. You know, I played that hand for all it was worth and it wasn't quite enough for it to work out, but in a lousy situation, it was a chance. A real chance. That's always meant the world to me.
03-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon? Nikon? cheap 'n' trashy Japanese cameras, if you want a real camera get a Leica.
Closed Thread