Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Me thinking this must be a very good forum, when people who already left Pentax still stick around. Not that you aren't welcome, but how do you find time to spend on a forum for gear you don't use? Sorry for the off topic.

03-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #32

We're in the Non-Pentax Cameras section..

I use to check out the other sections of the forum when I was shooting Pentax but nowadays I rarely stray from this little section of the board.
03-02-2011, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax isn't a religion, and it's not a fold.. it's a piece of gear. There is a direct line from my first Pentax 45 years ago, to my K20D. There is one group of little lubricant molecules that's passed from my first camera, through the lens mounts, through each successive body to my current body and all the current lenses. Every new lens gets screwed on to camera for the first time it gets a few of those molecules and then passes them on to the next body. I feel reluctant to part with those molecules after such a long a time together. If I ever send a camera to be cleaned and they are all removed, maybe I'll feel different.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just too lazy to switch. But most people switch because their cameras don't meet their expectations. Because they think they'd be better with something else. Some people switch for the right reasons, some are just expressing their own disillusionment with their own lack of ability as it expresses itself through their pictures. It can be an emotional or a technical need. It's rather pointless to try and guess who is which type. One thing is sure though. People switch because they need something else. Some people just want other photographers to admire their gear, whether they know how to use it or not. It's not all about the photography.
03-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I bought a Panasonic GH2 instead of a K-5 for the video. And I'm selling the K20d. So right now I have a bag of lenses that I stick on my wife's K-x or on the GH2 (via an adapter) when I need to. I'm not likely to leave the fold yet - the K-5 is on the wishlist. But if M43 continues to improve (the GH2 IQ compares well with the K20d with much better AF), the K-5 may be the last dSLR I buy...

03-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

As for being 'A zoom shooter,' Opie, being picky and zooms is not a combination Pentax was ever known for, if the two concepts ever went together to begin with. 'Not enough *off-brand* zooms?' What?
well, i guess someone started me on the wrong system 5 years ago

i've used ME's ME supers and always admired the LX and still have a ricoh xr1000s that uses k so i always had a spot for pentax and when i went digital, the *istDL was the most affordable.

back then, tokina made k mount lenses, today, they don't. tamron doesn't seem to be making new k mount lenses as well. sure, the existing ones are still in production, but no new ones AFAIK. it's only sigma that is still producing K mount.

and while the miniaturization of the K10/K20/K200 body was positively received, there had to be some engineering compromises made.

tolerances had to be much, much tighter and that might be one of the reasons why a camera that isn't "tuned" exactly 100% right from the factory could easily have issues.

the k20/k200 - this series had the least issues/problems.
the k7/kx - blur, k5/kr - FF although NONE recognized officially by pentax.

nikon and canon has had their issues too. nikon recalled the D5000 (i think) for a problem with camera's not powering up. they also acknowledged the D7k's video hot pixel issue rather quickly after launch and put a fix rather quickly as well.

and i do admire pentax for officially acknowledging the stain problem and doing a free exchange/repair.

i really hope they can get the FF issue fixed via firmware. i don't have a k5 or kr, but those who are experiencing this issue will benefit by this.

i do need a FW upgrade for my k200 though.

so after 5 years w/ pentax digital i decided to go dual and try nikon and so far with its limitations and all, i have not regretted it.

YMMV
03-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it wasn't for the K1000 I bought 23 years ago, I wouldn't be here.
I don't shoot Pentax because they don't give away cameras.
And they don't support photographers like Canon or Nikon. Actually, they don't seem to make any destination between people using their product for work and people using their product casually.

I had a sensor go black on one of my cameras. Way out of warranty. I had a brand new camera in my hands a week later. Hint: it wasn't a Pentax!
03-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some people just want other photographers to admire their gear, whether they know how to use it or not. It's not all about the photography.
I tend to agree with this and to me it's a lot of "technophiles" who must have the best spec sheet out there. Although the cameras are the tools that we use to craft our imagery, there is an aspect of tech wizardry that is very enticing to gearheads and electronics buffs out there. Thus, you have the tech spec comparisons and measurebating, but rarely do you see it backed up with actual photographic output from such. I see a lot of it in other forums and here occasionally as well, but of course drastically more so in tech blogs like Engadget or Gizmodo. They always seem to be fawning over the latest Canon or Nikon while dismissing most other brands. So yes, it's not always about photography.

03-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #38
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Me thinking this must be a very good forum, when people who already left Pentax still stick around. Not that you aren't welcome, but how do you find time to spend on a forum for gear you don't use? Sorry for the off topic.
Well, it is indeed a good forum. I feel a bit Pentaxian still, I enjoy the Photo Critique forum, and I hope that maybe Pentax will release an EVIL system (or camera/lenses in case they join an existing one) I can switch to.
03-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #39
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also believe that those Pentaxians who aren't ambivalent over brands and aren't lazy to switch (sorry for making direct reference normhead) stay with Pentax for more reasons than loyalty or novelty. The glass is clearly worth sticking around for, size vs IQ factor is another practical reason, and don't underestimate value for money, which IMO Pentax do a great job with.
03-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I also believe that those Pentaxians who aren't ambivalent over brands and aren't lazy to switch (sorry for making direct reference normhead) stay with Pentax for more reasons than loyalty or novelty. The glass is clearly worth sticking around for, size vs IQ factor is another practical reason, and don't underestimate value for money, which IMO Pentax do a great job with.

I'm the OP and have stuck with Pentax for the following reasons:
  • Reliability- the SLR/DSLR equipment I have from Pentax and it's alot has been..touch wood...dead reliable.
  • Does the job. I find my wide angle (16-45, 12-24, 55-300, 50 F 1.4, 50 Macro F 2.8) Fisheye 10-17) do the job and the pictures they produce are the equal of anything my friends with Canons or Nikon's produce.

I've got other camera equipment. Canon G12, Mamiya medium format -film, Leica Rangefinder-film, etc...but the main line in equipment since '68 has been Pentax.
03-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Pentax should really focus on developing countries like India where DSLR market is just picking up. In India a DSLR is still very expensive gear for a hobby and anyone who buys a DSLR is very much likely to stick to the same system for years, just because it is damn expensive to make the switch.

Pentax is making a big mistake by not being present in India at all.
03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

To assume that a person who was a former Pentax user, that has moved to another system, is somehow misinformed is to be quite honest extremely condescending.

Many who have done so have agonized over their decision, possibly over several years.

For me personally, I have had many shots from my K10D published in magazines and recently in the snow-forecast 2011 calender with just the 18-55 and 55-300.

But in no way does the K10D even come close in any dept to the D7000, mainly due to the sensor, flash control and AWB.

IF the K5 had the perfect flash control, AWB, and Autofocus System of the Nikon, I, more than likely would have gone to the K5 even though it was much more expensive.

I just wasn't prepared to take a chance with the K5 period and why should I?

It's my hard earned money at the end of the day?:-)
03-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
But if M43 continues to improve (the GH2 IQ compares well with the K20d with much better AF), the K-5 may be the last dSLR I buy...
what is the point to compare something with Samsung sensors ? the gap between Panasonic sensors and Sony sensors is only increasing
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I bought recently a Panasonic GH2 and did not like it that much. It wasn't that much smaller than my K-x, the stills IQ and especially the high ISO wasn't what I'd wish it was. The UI was confusing and unintuitive IMO. And since contrary to my plans, I did not like shooting video with a "DSLR" that much, I sold the Panasonic in just weeks. That side tracking made me also remember how much I hate selling stuff with every nuisance involved.

Right now I'm using my K-x and K20D with a few decent lenses. I have preordered the silver K-5, but at the moment am likely to cancel that order and just stick with what I have. For many reasons mentioned in this thread I may eventually get a camera of another brand, perhaps a FF DSLR. I'll keep my current gear, but will not necessary invest much more in Pentax.
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just received my copy of Popular Photography. They tested the K5. In their camera ratings it is rated as 4.5 out of 5.

The Nikon D300s + D700s, D 7000, Canon 7D. ... all 4 stars. The Canon 60D...4.5.

Pretty good ratings for the K5. I think some have under rated the K5. I don't have either the K7 or the K5.

I never wanted the K7 as I felt that the Samsung sensor, AF performance didn't help it. I note that the K5, KX, KR all use Sony sensors.

Don't know what this means.

However i do think the K5 would be a very good additional body to my KM and oldie but goldie K10D.