Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 60mm f/2 Nikon Mount

I have had this lens on my D300 for a couple of days and noticed that in Av I can not dial wide open Av to f/2,only down to f/2.2.Anyone else noticed this occurring with there copy?

cheers

03-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

(1) Try it at infinity focus. Many macro lenses cannot do maximum aperture at close focus.

(2) I'm pretty sure photozone did a review where they noticed that the image was somewhat darker than expected. And I think that Tamron resolved the issue by adjusting the chip. Now, I'm not an expert on this issue and I haven't researched it and I'm sometimes wrong, but it seems that the reported problems could be caused by a non-f/2.0 lens telling the chip that it is f/2.0. So maybe the fix is to correctly report f/2.2 so that it exposes properly.

(3) Its probably still a great lens that I've had my eye on despite the reported weirdness. I'm not really satisfied with my AFS 50 f/1.4G. I could live with f/2.2 if the performance is better.
03-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Saw a review on Amazon describing this too:

QuoteOriginally posted by By Tim Kimzey fstop:
From tests I have done so far, f/2 does not seem to come into play until around 14 feet to infinity. At focusing distances closer than 14 feet, the lens switches to f/2.2. It switches from 2.2 to 2.8 between 12-ish feet and a foot (that's not bad really, so you still have 2.8 all the way up to a foot in front of the lens). All true macros will do this to my knowledge, the physical parameters of focusing so close loses light. I was expecting this. But I absolutely think/wish the lens would stay a true f/2 in the portrait-shooting distances (3-8 feet lets say).
03-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

i have the same tammy 60 f2 on my d7k.
from what i've read, that is typical for a macro lens.
f2 doesn't happen at close distances.

AFAIK, there's nothing wrong with it.
very nice and sharp lens.

03-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes I do seem to have read about earlier copies so I will put it down to a rechip still its sharp and useable Thanks

cheers