Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Last Pentax Wedding... For now.

This is the last wedding I shot with my Pentax k-x and k20d. I miss the small perfectly designed economical body and beautiful primes. However I love the exra DOF I get out of my 5D Mark II. Whenever Pentax goes FF perhaps I can make the jump back.

In Memory of my k-x and k20d

Sometimes my Sigma 30 1.4 surprised me

Again

And again...

50-135 Things you could do for under $1000

43 1.9 you are the reason I will one day return.

03-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have been shooting with my Canon 5D (classic) and the 85L for many years now. I find that the shallow DOF is not as much of an issue as some people make it out to be. At f/1.2 the 85L is very tricky to master and the slightest movement from the subject ruins the shot. In a studio with a tripod there are a lot of cool things you can do with that narrow DOF, but at an event with people moving around and kids playing there will be a lot of missed shots because the DOF was too narrow.
03-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
I love the exra DOF I get out of my 5D Mark II
Don't you mean the exact opposite of what you have said - the LESS (narrower) DOF you get out of FF, viz:
Depth of Field Table
Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
03-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

nice shots!

03-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Winder- I agree shooting moving subjects with the 85 1.2 on a FF you are going to get lots of out of focus shots. The difference seems pretty huge to me. I feel like when I am shooting at 2.8 on a FF it’s like shooting F2 on a cropped body. But I totally see where you are coming from.
Rawr- It depends if you are looking from the inside or the outside.
Azimuthal- Thanks!
03-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel like when I am shooting at 2.8 on a FF it’s like shooting F2 on a cropped body. !
That's because basically you are. The larger sensor means a smaller DOF at any given aperture than smaller sensor. F8 on a large format camera can give you nice bokeh. F1.9 on a small sensor camera gives you lots of DOF.

The larger sensor is one of the advantages of full frame if you are after bokeh. You can shoot stopped down a bit where the lens usually is a bit sharper compared to a crop factor where you have to have a really good lens and shoot wide open.

I'm totally on board with your thinking and if I end up with full frame someday, this is exactly why. I can always shoot a smaller aperture if I need a larger DOF, but it's harder to go the other way.

Now on the other hand, a larger aperture on a crop will get you the same DOF, but a little more shutter speed, though it might be a wash because on full frame you can up the ISO on stop and make up for the difference in many cases as full frame usually has lower noise.
03-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ryan- That is the main reason I switched. However the ISO on my k-x was about on par with my 5D MarkII I just like the grain or noise a little bit better in the 5D, it’s a little more film like. Though it would not surprise me at all if the K-5 surpasses the 5D in the ISO department.

03-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes my Sigma 30 1.4 surprised me
Oh my!... that rendering rivals FF imo.
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once you get down to f1.4 I would have thought (without experience to back it up of course) the difference was minimal between cropped and FF, but I can see that when using a 2.8 zoom the FF would help.
03-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #10

Wonderful shots! You have awesome skills, regardless of which tool you are using.