Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I just started into photography last summer ...I first got a K-X and then a K200d ... wanted to stay pentax ... inbetween the K-R and K-5 ... looked at the K7 and k20d ... bought a Sony A580 body
You're not really serious, are you? Most people need at least a couple of years to go through that number of different bodies, let's not mention a totally different system!

QuoteQuote:
with vertical grip, spare batteries, and 50mm F1.8 DT lens...

...but i dont have a vertical grip for this sony yet.
I think that just confuses the H@ll out of me!

In the end, you'll find the need to move away from Sony, come this autumn anyway. We'll all be watching this space for your announcement

Anyway, excellent camera so enjoy it while it lasts!

03-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Sony glass has always seemed waaaay overpriced to me (just walking around and checking out prices without comparing glass) and do they do anything at all like Pentax' Ltds ? All their lenses seem huge.

If the above is correct then the Sony glass you will inevitably add, and your new A580, are going to add up to a lot more than adding a K5 to the Pentax glass you already had !

There is a progression in way top photographer's looking at creating images :

1. The Light
2. The Photographer
3. The Glass
4. The Camera

Seems to me like you may have your priorities mixed up. The Kr would have been an excellent upgrade to your Kx.
03-25-2011, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Sony glass has always seemed waaaay overpriced to me (just walking around and checking out prices without comparing glass) and do they do anything at all like Pentax' Ltds ? All their lenses seem huge.

If the above is correct then the Sony glass you will inevitably add, and your new A580, are going to add up to a lot more than adding a K5 to the Pentax glass you already had !

Seems to me like you may have your priorities mixed up. The Kr would have been an excellent upgrade to your Kx.
I'm surprised at all the negativity in some these responses. First of all, Sony's recently added a number of small, budget-priced prime lenses that seem to provide pretty good performance. Go look up their selection and pricing yourself; yes, they have some pretty expensive lenses, but so does Pentax. :-P Knowing how something "seems" isn't nearly as useful as knowing how something is.

Guy bought a camera, and it turns out he likes it. Not surprising, as it's got that same fantastic sensor as the K-5 (and yes, would do better in low light than a K-r). Then he wanted to tell someone about it (it's a common urge) so he turned to the community he's been with up until now.

All of this makes sense to me.

I guess I just don't understand the responses that range from snarky to outright hostile whenever someone posts that they've discovered that they like something that's *not* a Pentax. I mean, sure, this is PENTAXforums, and all, but come on.
03-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for moving my thread, for some reason I didn't see the off topic forums. It might be some surprise, but I actually started in pentax because of these very forums. I liked the community and following, i didnt want to be part of that "canon / nikon snobbery" but judging by half of the replies i can see thats not the case.

I didnt make this post to attack pentax in anyway, I was simplying frustrated that pentax didnt make a dslr with the features i wanted at a certrain price point. I probably would of went with the K-R if it even just supported a vertical grip.

I wanted a camera with amazing low light performance. Here is a picture 12,800 iso, straight out of the camera. No post processing jpeg.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G3sFAOpvT_GTrNXnvh3AtaFRRZySYe7jpBvqRz...eat=directlink

03-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I'm surprised at all the negativity in some these responses. First of all, Sony's recently added a number of small, budget-priced prime lenses that seem to provide pretty good performance. Go look up their selection and pricing yourself; yes, they have some pretty expensive lenses, but so does Pentax. :-P Knowing how something "seems" isn't nearly as useful as knowing how something is.

Guy bought a camera, and it turns out he likes it. Not surprising, as it's got that same fantastic sensor as the K-5 (and yes, would do better in low light than a K-r). Then he wanted to tell someone about it (it's a common urge) so he turned to the community he's been with up until now.

I guess I just don't understand the responses that range from snarky to outright hostile whenever someone posts that they've discovered that they like something that's *not* a Pentax. I mean, sure, this is PENTAXforums, and all, but come on.
Exactly! My original post either offended people or this wasnt the community of open minded photographers that I had thought it was. I understand that we get picked on by the canon/nikon group, but probably not as much as the sony crowd. Have you seen the sony forums? they have like seven members, the forum admin recently switched to a canon 7d even.

I only planned on having three lenses with the sony but we'll see what happens. Sony Macro 28mm F2.8, sony 50mm F1.8 DT, Minolta Maxxum 70-210mm F4 beercan. Total cost of lenses being the sonys are new, minolta is used would be about $400. Then i can always get simga/tamron if i wanted something else.
03-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote

I am sorry. I really am not a brand snob, it is just that I have had a really bad taste in my mouth with folks showing up on the forum saying "Pentax couldn't do..." or "Pentax doesn't have...", that my brand new Sony/Nikon/Canon can do. All of these companies make good cameras and the bigger companies can hit a lot more price points than can a small company like Pentax.

If it had been posted in off brand forum (as it is now), it would have (a) gotten a lot less notice and (b) not gotten the negative response that it has gotten. Look at Jay Sherman's full frame thread. I don't see a lot of negativity there, even though all of the cameras featured are not Pentax cameras. It's just all in how it is presented.

As far as high iso differences, there may be differences between the kr and the K5/Sony camera mentioned here, but I guarantee you that you can't tell them at the web sizes presented here, or even at most print sizes.
03-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The K200D is old tech. It's not surprising.

A K-r would have cost less and had as good or better ISO performance, but hey, it's your money.
No, the A580 uses the same sensor as the K5.

03-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am sorry. I really am not a brand snob, it is just that I have had a really bad taste in my mouth with folks showing up on the forum saying "Pentax couldn't do..." or "Pentax doesn't have...", that my brand new Sony/Nikon/Canon can do. All of these companies make good cameras and the bigger companies can hit a lot more price points than can a small company like Pentax.

If it had been posted in off brand forum (as it is now), it would have (a) gotten a lot less notice and (b) not gotten the negative response that it has gotten. Look at Jay Sherman's full frame thread. I don't see a lot of negativity there, even though all of the cameras featured are not Pentax cameras. It's just all in how it is presented.

As far as high iso differences, there may be differences between the kr and the K5/Sony camera mentioned here, but I guarantee you that you can't tell them at the web sizes presented here, or even at most print sizes.
+1 for this post....

if the OP had said, " Ive bought a sony and heres what it can do" rather than " ive bought a sony cause heres what Pentax cant do"...the responses would have been a whole lot different ...to a point I doubt you would have got many responses .....but you have waved a red flag at a bull..and then whine that you have been chased.

it stirred others also because it wasnt in the correct "off camera" area..and looked like yet another disgruntled former pentax user come to throw mud

the images you posted do look very good...Im glad your pleased with your purchase..
and if you have been judged/juried and executioned incorrectly by the posters...please understand why...last I looked this was a pentax forum....full of pentax users
03-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uchinakuri Quote
No, the A580 uses the same sensor as the K5.
Interestingly, I looked at the dynamic range graphs on the kr and A580 on Dxo Mark and while the A580 has an advantage through most of its range, the advantage goes away from iso 6400 on.
03-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I guess Sony has improved some - when I was looking around for a DSLR, I was considering a Sony since they were cheap. But, back then (300 series?), the ISO performance even at 400 or 200 was pretty crappy. So I went with the K20D :P
The A100, A200 series and A300 series use CCD sensors and low light performance is a problem. I believe their CMOS sensor based cameras are much better. I'm again getting the itch to pick up an A850.

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
Have you seen the sony forums? they have like seven members, the forum admin recently switched to a canon 7d even.
Ouch. I would've been might pissed!

Last edited by jhaji; 03-28-2011 at 01:31 AM.
03-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony is evil. Just wait until they start removing features from the firmware like they did with the PS3. I will never buy another Sony branded product again. I even had to pause and really give some thought before I bought the K-5 because of the Sony sensor.
04-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
Forum Member

pentax pedigree

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Nikon at least have a Pentax pedigree...
hi, just out of curiosity, what do you mean by nikon have a pentax pedigree.
I'm new with pentax. just switched from nikon.

thx!
04-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote

thx!
a light hearted jab a sony...who bought out minolta.... cause they went Bust.

Nikon like Pentax..have been around for years making cameras { thats a pedigree} ...sony are newcomers to the scene
04-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote

thx!
Both companies are primarily optics companies.. cameras and camera lenses are just a small part of their range of products. They also make lenses for other purposes as well, like glasses/spectacles, microscopes, binoculars, telescopes. That's their common pedigree.
04-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #30
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Nikon like Pentax..have been around for years making cameras { thats a pedigree} ...sony are newcomers to the scene
And yet where would they (Nikon and Pentax) be without Sony?? Still making film cameras or some pathetic POS digicam with an inferior sensor.