Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #1

Any experience with Nikon F4S?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Any one with experience with a Nikon F4S? I have a K10D and two ME Supers and I still like to shoot some film. I want another film camera with a really big viewfinder because I wear glasses. I have handled an F4S and they are nice, especailly the viewfinder. I have read a ton of stuff on line about them. I have also researched the LX, the Nikon F3HP, and the Canon F1, but I am leaning toward the Nikon because of the availability of accessories and glass---and I can use my Adaptall 2's with it (MF). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

03-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly, it was the F4 that made me switch brands to Pentax.
03-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Interestingly, it was the F4 that made me switch brands to Pentax.
Incidentally, why was that, Wheatfield? Between helping my Nikonian friend shop and when I was choosing brands for myself, I kind of liked that one for an AF film camera, having an F3-looking finder and conventional controls.

(Nikon and Pentax were pretty much my two choices, with the priority I placed on compatibility with mechanical film cameras: I don't trust the electronic ones to have the longevity of their older cousins. (I've also since found with my Mz-5 that it drives me batty not to have a rewind crank so I can feel when the film's feeding properly. )

Anyway, for the OP, I've used the F3HP, which really does have a cool viewfinder, and, well, Nikons have had some good ones, and I still use my old Canon F-1N, though an LX body might just be the easiest way out. You can have prescription eyepieces ground for about anything: it's not particularly cheap, but cheaper (and a lot lighter) than a whole bunch of other lenses.
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
Banned

Nikon F5 35mm Film Camera Body Only Original Box

If I was getting a used Nikon film DSLR I would get the F5.

Nikon F5 35mm Film Camera Body Only Original Box | eBay
Important advances in the F5 included:

Nikon 3-D color matrix meter (the F4 had introduced multi-segment matrix metering to the F series, but color sensing was new).
A self-diagnostic and self-adjusting shutter.
A mirror-balance system that reduced camera shake.
Electronically controlled exposure times from 1/8000 second to 30 seconds.
Built-in 8 frame per second motor drive (up from 5.7 frame/s on the F4).
1/300 second flash sync (up from 1/250 on the F4). However, at 1/300 second, flash units could not use their full capacity.
Full support for Nikkor AF-S and G designated lenses (the F4 could not use G lenses in aperture-priority or full manual modes).
Support for the Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization feature of newer Nikkor lenses.
Five focus points for the autofocus sensor (up from one on the F4) with intelligent dynamic autofocus mode.
A new industrial design by Giorgetto Giugiaro (also designer of the F3 and F4).
An integral vertical/battery grip with additional shutter release and adjustment wheel controls (previous Nikon F models had used a range of removable battery grips).

Last edited by jogiba; 03-28-2011 at 01:07 PM.
03-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm including my vote for the F100.

It is the smaller, lighter F5.

It is like a film D200/D300.
03-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Incidentally, why was that, Wheatfield?
At the time I was using a Pentax 6x7 along with the Nikon F3 (and FE, FE2, Fm and FM2).
I never really got to like the F3, it was always a somewhat clunky camera.
Anyway, I was also using a Pentax 6x7 system at the time, and when the F4 came out I decided that I just didn't like the direction Nikon was taking. The F4 was too close to being as large as the 6x7 for my liking, so I started looking around for another 35mm system camera.
Nikon was out, Canon was obviously screwing their user base by dropping support for the FD mount as quickly as they could, so they were out as well.
I never go a good feeling from Minolta, and they also looked like they were dropping support for the MD mount (although in fact they never did, though development of cameras and lenses stopped in the early 80s), and I didn't like the Maxxum or EOS cameras anyway.
The LX presented itself very nicely, and that is how I ended up shooting Pentax
03-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
At the time I was using a Pentax 6x7 along with the Nikon F3 (and FE, FE2, Fm and FM2).
I never really got to like the F3, it was always a somewhat clunky camera.
Anyway, I was also using a Pentax 6x7 system at the time, and when the F4 came out I decided that I just didn't like the direction Nikon was taking. The F4 was too close to being as large as the 6x7 for my liking, so I started looking around for another 35mm system camera.
Nikon was out, Canon was obviously screwing their user base by dropping support for the FD mount as quickly as they could, so they were out as well.
I never go a good feeling from Minolta, and they also looked like they were dropping support for the MD mount (although in fact they never did, though development of cameras and lenses stopped in the early 80s), and I didn't like the Maxxum or EOS cameras anyway.
The LX presented itself very nicely, and that is how I ended up shooting Pentax
Ah, yeah, Canon wasn't making me very happy toward the end of the FD days, they seemed to be really heading in far too consumerey a direction for my taste with a lot of the lenses, (And for hight-tech, I did like those T90s, but at the time I really wasn't very interested in automation) but the writing was kind of on the wall for the FD mount, cause there really wasn't a good way to fit screw drive AF in there.

I don't know what it was with those F3s, the balance and shape just seemed odd, (And the funny-looking winders seemed to make one of the few camera shapes I'd have trouble getting along with: nice idea, kind of just too big in the wrong places going about it. ) Though that viewfinder really made an impression. (Did they put the same type of finder in the F4 and F5? They kind of look it. )

I liked the LX, too, though, always did kind of wish there was an excuse to get one (And, well, what do you know, now I do. Hope to get around to that before too long. )

Anyway, for the OP, the New F-1 does have a nice finder and such, they're not too terribly cheap, but a lot of the old FD lenses aren't too bad. Lots of good focusing screen options that you can still find, too. Getting in to one's probably pretty similar to LX type expenses, mind you. I like em, though.

03-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If I was getting a used Nikon film DSLR I would get the F5.

Nikon F5 35mm Film Camera Body Only Original Box | eBay
Important advances in the F5 included:

Nikon 3-D color matrix meter (the F4 had introduced multi-segment matrix metering to the F series, but color sensing was new).
A self-diagnostic and self-adjusting shutter.
A mirror-balance system that reduced camera shake.
Electronically controlled exposure times from 1/8000 second to 30 seconds.
Built-in 8 frame per second motor drive (up from 5.7 frame/s on the F4).
1/300 second flash sync (up from 1/250 on the F4). However, at 1/300 second, flash units could not use their full capacity.
Full support for Nikkor AF-S and G designated lenses (the F4 could not use G lenses in aperture-priority or full manual modes).
Support for the Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization feature of newer Nikkor lenses.
Five focus points for the autofocus sensor (up from one on the F4) with intelligent dynamic autofocus mode.
A new industrial design by Giorgetto Giugiaro (also designer of the F3 and F4).
An integral vertical/battery grip with additional shutter release and adjustment wheel controls (previous Nikon F models had used a range of removable battery grips).
You present a persuasive argument!
What would you pay for a MINT example with a nice Nikon AF Zoom?
Cheers, Pickles.
03-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
You present a persuasive argument!
What would you pay for a MINT example with a nice Nikon AF Zoom?
Cheers, Pickles.
I have a bunch of Pentax 35mm SLRs (PZ-1p, Super A, ME-F etc) and 6x7 system with 55mm ,90mm LS, 135mm macro,165mm F2.8 lenses so I am not in the market for any more film cameras.

BTW anyone looking to buy a used F5 package deal here is one on ebay.
NIKON PRO F-5 CAMERA PACKAGE SIGMA LENSES + LOTS MORE | eBay
03-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have a bunch of Pentax 35mm SLRs (PZ-1p, Super A, ME-F etc) and 6x7 system with 55mm ,90mm LS, 135mm macro,165mm F2.8 lenses so I am not in the market for any more film cameras.

BTW anyone looking to buy a used F5 package deal here is one on ebay.
NIKON PRO F-5 CAMERA PACKAGE SIGMA LENSES + LOTS MORE | eBay
No......I do not want to sell one!!!
I don't own one either, I was just wondering what such a camera would be worth to buy.
In addition, I see that you own one of Pentax's best...the Z1P.....any comparisons?
Cheers, Pickles.
03-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own both the F100 and the PZ-1p.

The F100 is the better camera in almost every way.

The only plus the PZ-1p has over the F100 is it is smaller, lighter, and can use Pentax glass.

If you are considering the F5, do yourself a favor, and look into the F100.
03-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
The F100 is the world's second-best 35mm SLR camera. I was happy to pay full price, about $1400, in 1999, for mine. I could have paid not much more for the F5, but I preferred the newer F100.

As of 2007, I got an F6 which is a somewhat better camera, but way more expensive. If money matters, get a used F100 for a few hundred dollars and you'll have gotten the deal of the century. If you don't mind the expense, get an F6, which is more refined from the F100 and offers full matrix metering with old manual focus lenses, as well as full EXIF data logging on its LCD. (see my F6 review.)

Read my minor comments below if you want, but don't ever forget that there is no other 35mm camera on Earth offering a better combination of practical features and performance (for me anyway) to get you the images you demand.
Nikon F100 Review