Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Canon is definitely the more boring company. They have apparently decided that to win, you just have to out-megapixel everyone else. Stick 18 megapixel sensors into tons of slightly different body styles.

Sony's problem is that they don't really have a plan. They'll try anything for a little while, but it is hard to build momentum when what you are doing is constantly changing. Cameras, particularly at the upper end, are different from the consumer electronics that they are used to selling.

04-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
But Sony manufactures the parts for Nikon and Pentax (and some other cameras I suppose) right?

So as long companies create demand for cameras through whatever means, Sony just makes sure it produces enough supply to fill the demand that their other customers (Nikon/Pentax) can't fill, hence the randomly designed cameras.

Perhaps a "make the pie bigger" rather than a "get more slices from the same small pie" strategy.
04-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Minolta designed bodies >>> Sony designed bodies
04-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
Mr_Canuck

I've owned a Sony a700 and just sold my a850 to switch to Pentax (K5 and limiteds were the appeal). The a850 felt like it had Minolta dna in it. A true photographer's camera. And I had some wonderful Minolta glass. I hand it to Sony for creating the NEX system. I think where it gets confused is that it's also a video system, and probably going to be a pretty major one at that. And then they come it with something else quite new with the translucent mirrors. And then you don't know exactly where they are going with things because they leave a gap in their enthusiast category (a700) for like four years. They've got all the resources. They've got good leads (all these are interesting and viable camera body directions) but they go all over the place and probably offer too many models. I think that dilutes them but they can probably afford it. I would guess that Minolta folks would be frustrated working there, or maybe they get big fat bonuses for inventing cool stuff. One just is never quite sure where they are headed.