Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

Sony Kills the a33 at infancy!

Just after seven months from it's release Sony killed production of the a33.
Sales were poor compared to the a55, but that's probably because the a55 costs only about $100 more.

There is talk whether the model was killed as a result of restructuring after the effects of the Japan 2011 disaster, or because the FUD talk about the overheating sensor actually hurt the camera sales.

Another, more probable suggestion is that the forthcoming release of the a77 at the $1K targeted point, will drive the a55 prices further down, making the a33 being non viable financially, especially as Sony plans to send all enthousiast to their NEX camera line.

04-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The A33 really didn't make much sense being priced only $100 cheaper than the A55. However, I know a number of people that ended up with the A33, because the A55 was/is so hard to find (like the Panasonic GH2).
04-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sony doesn't exactly excel at product line management. Rather clumsy, I think, That's too bad as they're a big force and alliances with Pentax would help both.
04-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Could we move this to the "Other Camera" forum? I'm not too sure how this relates to Pentax news/rumors.

04-04-2011, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

They also killed off the NEX-3 after eight months or something, and they keep introducing almost identical, really boring, crippled low-end DSLRs while almost completely ignoring the high-end APS-C segment. The NEX system apparently has great image quality and is small and pretty but is hampered by a terrible user interface and a miniscule line of huge, uninspired lenses. I have no idea what Sony is doing exactly, but it clearly has some real trouble focusing on what markets it wants to be in, and what products will get them there. I'm really glad I'm not in the Alpha system.
04-04-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Imo Sony has lost the plot as far as DSLRs are concerned.
After the initial marketing flurry surrounding the NEX cameras, there is heavy price discounting because the cameras aren't moving quickly at retail.
04-04-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I knew a sales rep from minolta who refused to work under sony's banner because she knew sony all too well, and knew that sony wouldn't continue minolta's track record of producing innovative and ergonomically well designed cameras.

I regret never buying a 7D when I had the chance - I loved all the external controls it had, and the 17-35mm f/2.8 lens it came with wasn't half bad either.

04-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread hi-jack time. Has anyone ever been to a mall that has both an Apple store and a Sony store? Every time I've ever been to one the Apple store was packed and at the Sony store the employees outnumbered the customers by a healthy margin. End thread hi-jack.
04-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I regret never buying a 7D when I had the chance - I loved all the external controls it had, and the 17-35mm f/2.8 lens it came with wasn't half bad either.
You still have the chance by all means. I see 5D and 7D bodies going for peanuts these days.
04-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
You still have the chance by all means. I see 5D and 7D bodies going for peanuts these days.
but it's hard to get one that is relatively unused - the used 7D's often suffer from a similar problem to BGLOD that the nikon D70s suffered from at the end of it's life.
04-04-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The A33 has been replaced by the forthcoming A35 and should be out in a couple of months. The A55 will also soon be replaced by the A77, a major upgrade, which is due out by end of the year.

Jason
04-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I thought the NEX system was going to take off with some great lenses, great APS-C sensors, and continued improvement of the interface in successor models.

Boy was I wrong! Sony hasn't done much of anything with the E mount.

I saw someone here call the NEX a "removable lens camera", which is apt considering that you can remove the lens, but you can't replace it with another. There are no others.

Sony also cut corners by omitting a back lens cap with their NEX system. I suppose they already knew that nobody would be taking their lens off.

This just goes to show how quick Sony can create and abandon camera plans.
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One Sony body dies, three more must be on the way
04-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I still have NFI what the hell Sony's strategy is. Is it "Try to saturate the market like Canon, but be much more boring about it?"
04-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sony boring compared to Canon? I disagree with that statement. When was the last time Canon broke new ground on anything? Another "rebel" just released...

The NEX system isn't going anywhere and if you poke around on the internet, you can find lots of recent news about E mount lenses and third party makers with plans to release soon. The NEX system, like all Sony systems is continually improving...unlike Pentax who releases something and no chance of anything new or improved for another 18 months. I think perspective is needed when making statements like Sony flooding the market or releasing tons of new things...at least they are bringing and attempting what other camera makers aren't. I dont own anything from Sony, but I've got to hand it to them when it comes to pushing some bounds and improving upon older models. If that is wrong of them, I guess it just goes to show that we dont want new innovations and like it that way.

Jason