Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New mirrorless Leica system announced for 2012

No sensor chosen, no details yet, but info forthcoming at Photokina 2012. British Journal of Photography has the story.

06-22-2011, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Ah, Leica: Lomography for yuppies.
06-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Mirrorless accepting current Leica lenses with a full frame sensor?

This could get really interesting.
06-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Mirrorless accepting current Leica lenses with a full frame sensor?

This could get really interesting.
Isn't that called M9?

06-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Isn't that called M9?
No. I've used an M9, and you can't use the LCD when taking photos - it's only for reviewing afterwards.

LCD with the ability to zoom in to the part of the image to focus on, will be really useful. I have rather bad astigmatism on my right eye, so I find the range finder focusing system painful and difficult to use.

I hope they upgrade the sensor though - I liked the sensor on the M9, but quality above ISO 1000 is mediocre ...
06-27-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it will be a interchangeable lens version of the X1 - with an APS-C sensor most likely a Panasonic 4/3ds sensor considering Leica joined the 4/3rds consortium in 2006.

I liked the sensor on the M9, but quality above ISO 1000 is mediocre
It's not that bad for a CCD sensor, sure its nowhere near D3s quality but it still beats the pentax K10D at ISO 1600. Besides Leica has many Ultra fast( e.g noctilux 50mm f/0.95) lenses that provide a degree of compensation for the lacklustre High ISO

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Leica: Lomography for yuppies.
sorry, you must have confused Leica with Diana.
06-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use both the M9 and the K-5, and overall prefer to use the M9. I started photography using Kodachrome ASA 25, and usually used ASA 64 B&W, with TriX at 400 (or 1200 in Acufine) for what we thought was really dim light. That's why there were so many F1.4 and F1.2 lenses back then!
I primarily use lenses from 1941 to 1970 on the M9, and seldom need more than ISO 400. Even without "image stabilization" I can still get useful images at 1/15th with normal lenses, and some percentage at 1/8th. The camera (and proper hold) is stable in itself without needing high ISO and IS.
I wish the new Leica would be FF and use the R system lenses, but don't expect that. I would try the Leitax mounts on the K-5, but the viewfinder is so marginal for manual focus.

10-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

No. I've used an M9, and you can't use the LCD when taking photos - it's only for reviewing afterwards.

LCD with the ability to zoom in to the part of the image to focus on, will be really useful. I have rather bad astigmatism on my right eye, so I find the range finder focusing system painful and difficult to use.

I hope they upgrade the sensor though - I liked the sensor on the M9, but quality above ISO 1000 is mediocre ...
I'm sorry to hear about your eye condition that makes the OVF and rangefinder hard to use.

My eyes don't bother me when using cameras, and I can't imagine that I'd ever want to compose and shoot on the LCD of a camera with a real, mechanical, M-style rangefinder. It'd be like watching a movie on a phone in the same room as a big screen TV.

I can totally understand your reasons, but for those of us who are fortunately not afflicted, I wanted to get the idea across to anybody who's never used an M before...I have an M2, and were it digital with a really nice LCD, I'd still always shoot with the VF.

Have you tried a correcting diopter on an RF?
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Banned

this could be a huge success for Leica if its priced right. I will be looking very closely at this, and if its great it will be a no-brainer purchase for myself and my leica M lenses. a great companion for my M3 that won’t cost a fortune like an M8 or M9. there have been rumors of this for a while, but everyone is suggesting a price point that will be too high to be a real player in the market (not that Leica is probably looking to be) but I will still be looking much closer at this than anyone else’s offerings.
10-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this could be a huge success for Leica if its priced right. I will be looking very closely at this, and if its great it will be a no-brainer purchase for myself and my leica M lenses. a great companion for my M3 that won’t cost a fortune like an M8 or M9. there have been rumors of this for a while, but everyone is suggesting a price point that will be too high to be a real player in the market (not that Leica is probably looking to be) but I will still be looking much closer at this than anyone else’s offerings.
Will we need a car loan to buy it.
10-07-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I think it will be a interchangeable lens version of the X1 - with an APS-C sensor most likely a Panasonic 4/3ds sensor considering Leica joined the 4/3rds consortium in 2006.
Um sorry? APS-C and 4/3rds are entirely different...
10-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Will we need a car loan to buy it.
A Leica car. Nice.
10-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Um sorry? APS-C and 4/3rds are entirely different...
indeed they are. My bad.
10-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Banned

Photos: Albums
Mirrorless doesn't mean that you can use the LCD for composing. Anything that is not an SLR is technically a mirrorless camera.
10-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mirrorless means it doesn't have a mirror to reflect the light up to the viewfinder prism. The advantage of such cameras is that this entire bulky assembly can be done away with.

Terms like EVIL are misleading. In my article How (Not) To Name Your Camera System, I propose ILM (Interchangeable-Lens Mirrorless) as an acronym both correct and useful.