Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ayone excited of the EP3?

Ayone excited of the EP3?
43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Olympus E-P3 specs. It has an interchangeable grip!

It has the new Olympus “tweaked” 12 Megapixel Sensor
- Truepic VI engine (two processor in one)
- ISO 100 to 12.800
- 1080i 60frs AVCHD or JPEG video
- 35 point autofocus
- OLED touch Display (610k resolution). Sounds like it is almost the same screen used for the Olympus XZ-1.
- pop up live guide
- dual dials
- fastest AF to date for any mirrorless cam (and I have been told that it is considerably faster that the Panasonic GH2!).
- updated art filters
- effects to combine with art filters (like starlight)
- 3D still images
- Interchangeable grip. I have been told there are two different grips you can buy (and more will come after).
- Design changes: The top dial is now placed instead of the ON/OFF button of the E-P2. To make room for the built-in flash. There is a video recording button over the AEL button.

06-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Not really.

Faster AF would be ace, but I don't plan on buying any of the upcoming Oly lenses so it won't make any difference to the Panasonic lenses I have now (apparently).

'Tweaked' 12mp sensor. Hmmm. I'll get excited when/if they confirm it's a 'new' sensor, not just another go with the Panasonic 12mp (which wasn't amazing when it was introduced).

No EVF. Just personal preference, but I've used the GH2, EP1 and EPL2 extensively and I just don't like using the LCD to frame.

Interchangeable grip - I want a grip and wouldn't remove it, so I don't need it to be interchangeable (bit like the removable EVF).
06-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, I am. Would prefer a newer sensor though. Bought e-pl2 as a try out and like it, but prefer a more pro model. Also, love touch screen. And upgraded art filters / effects. Interesting new lenses to come too. Really really hope oly to come with a truly new pro. But well, guess not happening soon.
06-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just picked up an e-p2, 17mm and vf-2 on ebay for a good deal after being out of m4/3 gear for about a year. I think Olympus have gotten a lot of mileage out of that sensor, they have a great jpeg engine, and for the kind of snap type photography m4/3 gravitates towards, getting it right out-of-camera is key (for me anyway).

I am not really interested in the e-p3, but the other 2 new models are definitely on my radar, or else a used e-pl2, which I've really liked based on looks and specs. I only wish Pentax at least rumored their true competitor along with the Q release (if one is coming)!

06-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like new technology but i don't like touch screens on a camera....i just don't
06-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't like the newer Panasonic GF line for the same reason Clicker! But from the leaked photos it appears Olympus is retaining a few more tactile controls that will make the shooting experience more direct - for me once the camera is set as long as I have quick dial button access to EV and or AV/TV and a few other things I'm good.
06-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It doesn't look bad, and they addressed most of the problems with the E-P2. The only thing that bothers me is the same sensor from 2009.
06-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

[ they have a great jpeg engine, and for the kind of snap type photography m4/3 gravitates towards, getting it right out-of-camera is key (for me anyway).]

Agree.

06-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
It doesn't look bad, and they addressed most of the problems with the E-P2. The only thing that bothers me is the same sensor from 2009.
The latest rumour says it's not the old Panasonic sensor, but a new one designed by Olympus.
06-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah saw that got an FT4 over at the 43rumors site - whether it is the old sensor or not, I'm pretty excited about what they are bringing. I only hope that at some point in the next 6 months Pentax gets into this market so I can stop going between 1 and 2 camera systems!

Panasonic can keep churning out new cameras and new sensors, but lack of IBIS and a crap-all jpeg engine will keep me going back to olympus every day of the week.
06-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

[Panasonic can keep churning out new cameras and new sensors, but lack of IBIS and a crap-all jpeg engine will keep me going back to olympus every day of the week.]

Oly has magic. I repeat my deepest wishes for oly to stay in the game and come up with a pro. However nice aps-c mirror less might be, I really like the 2x crop. It has true advantages for me in the focussing field. I am very much a tele person. Sometimes, certainly with snap-shotting, I like the opposite of a shallow dof. Is comfortable.

But gh2 video is amazing indeed. I made very clumsy, but very nice little movies with it. The video of e-pl2 is really not that good. Now, I don't need to be a videographer, but it IS fun if it is so easy. But, with oly video you can use the art filters, which certainly combined with BW grainy is mythical.
06-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where can i find the best pictures taken by Oly EP1 aside from flickr? do they also have something like a PPG or thread similar to K5 thread, FA ltd thread, 15 blow my mind, etc that showcases the system
06-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First pictures of the E-P3 with 12mm lens!

43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) First pictures of the E-P3 with 12mm lens!
06-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yeah, I JUST posted that.
06-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) First non blurred E-P3 picture with 12mm lens (+ FT5 Olympus rumor summary)

Seems like they address most major concerns of the EP1

1) Common features of all three new PEN cameras
- Very fast autofocus
- Truepic VI engine
- New Olympus designed sensor
- All three PEN cameras do have AF assist lamp
- Old lenses will focus faster on the new Pen cameras (although not as fast as when using new lenses).

2) Olympus E-P3
- It has the new Olympus “tweaked” 12 Megapixel Sensor
- Truepic VI engine (two processor in one)
- ISO 100 to 12.800
- 1080i 60frs AVCHD or JPEG video
- 35 point autofocus
- OLED touch Display (610k resolution). Sounds like it is almost the same screen used for the Olympus XZ-1.
- pop up live guide
- dual dials
- flash is remote trigger capable, but no free bounce like Olympus E-PL1.
- fastest AF to date for any mirrorless cam (and I have been told that it is considerably faster that the Panasonic GH2!).
- updated art filters
- effects to combine with art filters (like starlight)
- 3D still images
- built-in Eye-Fi support for controlling the Eye-Fi cards (Click here to see the cards on eBay)
- Interchangeable grip. I have been told there are two different grips you can buy (and more will come after).
- Design changes: The top dial is now placed instead of the ON/OFF button of the E-P2. To make room for the built-in flash. There is a video recording button over the AEL button.
- Price somewere between $799 and $899 dollars

3) Olympus E-PL3
- Same sensor and af speed as the E-P3
- no built-in flash (Will have bundled external flash that uses the hotshoe+accessory port)
- tilting LCD screen
- Screen is LCD and not OLED.
- looks EXACTLY like the Olympus XZ-1 (Click here to see that camera)

4) Olympus E-PM1
- It is as small as the Olympus XZ-1
- No tilt screen, no built-in flash

5) 12mm f/2.0 lens
- It’s the very first High Grade lens for Micro Four Thirds and is made in Tatsuno (Japan)
- All metal construction with distance scale. You see the distance scale when you pull the focus ring from autofocus to manual mode.
- Lens size similar to the new Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4.
- Filter size 46mm
- Already in production since April and will be in Stock in July.
- Close focusing 20cm (0.67 feet)
- Price around $799

6) 45mm f/1.8 lens
- No macro
- Price around $299

7) New Olympus FL-300R
It works like the Sony’s F20AM (Click here to see the Sony flash on eBay). For example you fold down to turn off.

8 ) New external EVF
- cheap build quality, cheap price (Compared to the current VF-2 viewfinder (around $279.95)).

9) Olympus 14-42mm II R
Same price and optical performance as the current 14-42mm lens but with a much faster autofocus performance.

10) Olympus 40-150mm II R
Same price and optical performance as the current 40-150mm lens but with a much faster autofocus performance