Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Any comment on IQ of K-5 vs D7000? I hear the AA filter is lighter so D7000 files are a bit sharper. Colour and contrast are more important to me, and I suspect Pentax should win there. From what I've seen, Nikon white balance tends to go a little too yellow, and Pentax lenses may have better coatings (better contrast, flare resistance)? I'm not saying I'm right, these are just my impressions.
The D7000 was/is a great camera. The reason we bought it, is within this thread.
The K5 has been amazing and as a new photographer, my husband looked to me and my images and my workflow. As a Pentaxian, I made the Nikon look bad. (Sorry Nikonians)

I think in the end it was the video that was the dealbreaker and the weirdness of "Nikon" in relation to Pentax which was subjective. Everyone is different.

My verdict is the D7000 is a great camera, but if we ever go back down the Nikon road it will be FF.

04-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
My verdict is the D7000 is a great camera, but if we ever go back down the Nikon road it will be FF.
This was my own conclusion having owned a D7000 at one time. I'm currently very happy with a K-5, but continually desire full frame. So what's your husband transitioning to now if anything?
04-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
This was my own conclusion having owned a D7000 at one time. I'm currently very happy with a K-5, but continually desire full frame. So what's your husband transitioning to now if anything?
He's become the "Sound Guy". Basically he's into all the sound that we need when we are out and about shooting. I can't do everything Pics/Video, so I'm sorta selfishly glad.
04-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #49
Veteran Member

So we've gone out and about a few times, and he's pretty frustrated at the moment. Since he's shot Pentax before his D7000, his learning curve is pretty steep. Don't laugh at his Photo-Vest and his Yellow shirt....<chuckle>...I don't think he meant to show his "Nikon Colors".

Personally, I think the photo-vest is kinda dorky, but he likes it and I love him, so there.

We've taken our scooters to our little down-town and were shooting under a pavillion.

The original of this image was a K5, FA50mm, f/1.7, ISO100, 1/180sec, Center Weighted Average.

I LOVE my K5.
ROFL--well literally laughing hard but not rolling--regarding the yellow and black attire matching the camera strap! Sorry! giggle. I am thinking about getting D7000 as well

04-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
ROFL--well literally laughing hard but not rolling--regarding the yellow and black attire matching the camera strap! Sorry! giggle. I am thinking about getting D7000 as well
Well, his is for sale/trade in the marketplace!

04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Honestly if I wasn't such a Pentax freak I'd probably go Nikon. I can't say I dislike the Nikon cameras I've seen. Definitely I'd choose Nikon over Canon. Eh, so long as he still thinks you're the cat's meow, who cares what he shoots?
I agree, canon really needs to improve their sensors. The dynamic range especially is quite lacking. Heck my pentax k-x has more dynamic range than the 5D Mark II. The dynamic range of the D7000 is insanely better than Canon, as it is better than my k-x by about as much as my k-x is better than canon.
04-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
I agree, canon really needs to improve their sensors. The dynamic range especially is quite lacking. Heck my pentax k-x has more dynamic range than the 5D Mark II. The dynamic range of the D7000 is insanely better than Canon, as it is better than my k-x by about as much as my k-x is better than canon.
5D2 is an old sensor. compare the 5d3 to the same cameras. it's not apples to apples of course.
The K5 is marginally higher rated than the D7000 (same sensor. both are better than the competing 7D but this was the first generation where canon got slaughtered in this league. the 60D showed no improvement here either. It will be interesting to see how the 5D3 stack up when DXO ranks it. The Nikon D800 using the tech that came from the D700 and K5 sensor in a FF format has just killed it. I personally thingk the 5D3 probably won't rank much better than a K5 which is still the top apsc sensor (just edging out the nex 7) can't wait to see how the 24mp sensor doesn in the pentax when it comes. I bet the score jumps to 85 or so if they keep the same improvement over how sony handles it's own sensors

04-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My husband is going Nikon mainly for the video offerings of the D7000. The dual SD slots appears to be what pushes him in that direction along with the ability to change the audio input. I suppose it's fine in that I'm not into buying duplicates of many of the Pentax glass I already own. It would be a pain when we are on our travels if he had to continually ask for a lens I am using.

So Nikon is coming to our home for various reasons. Ugh.

I searched for a cool forum for him to make home, but they are 100% more anal than here. Does anyone know of a Nikon forum that is as relaxed and helpful as this one?

I have visited this site (see links below) for a while, although not nearly as much lately because of the lack of Pentax related talks, but I think they are a good bunch of people there, and quite a few pro's using the Nikon system.
Goood information and perhaps not as "anal" as some other forums.

Photography community, including forums, reviews, and galleries from Photo.net
Nikon Camera and accessories forum from Photo.net

Best of luck to your hubby.

JP
04-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you can't get class leading shots with the D7000 you might as well give up photography:-)

I will love my D800 as there will be zero learning curve as I bit the bullet from my beloved K10D to the D7000 - the D800 is basically a D7000 on steroids:-)
04-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I will love my D800 as there will be zero learning curve as I bit the bullet from my beloved K10D to the D7000 - the D800 is basically a D7000 on steroids:-)
I wouldn't say zero learning curve - D800 (and D700) is much more customizable, more features, and AF is going to be better in every way. But that's still a pretty easy learning curve to climb.
04-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #56
Inactive Account

Pentax story end.
Ricoh has taken it away from us.
But, fortunately, is the best Nikon D700 Viella left.
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well...it looks like *I* am the new owner of ALL of my husband's Nikon gear. The Marketplace sale was withdrawn, and I have assumed ownership and care.

I am now a dual system user.

Why do I feel like I need to take a shower.

04-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Well...it looks like *I* am the new owner of ALL of my husband's Nikon gear. The Marketplace sale was withdrawn, and I have assumed ownership and care.

Why do I feel like I need to take a shower.

There is no better dual citizenship to have. Congratulations! :P
04-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep. I just finished moving Nikon out of it's old spaces, and making room for it in mine. I had to stop-down with my Pentaxes - all of them - and explain to them our new addition. It wasn't easy, but I don't want Nikon to catch anything malicious. You never know what siblings can do in the way of fungus or specks/germs. I don't want anything to flare up or have anything bokeh'en. Nikon's new home needs to be a sensitivity setting until it adjusts.

<sigh>.

I will do my best to treat my new child with care and respect. I promise to take Nikon out and play. I will try and be nice and cordial when a Nikonian comes up to me and wants to talk Nikonese. It's not Nikon's fault that it's father abandoned it and no one wanted to adopt. I suppose I am partialy to blame, as I encouraged my husband to look around, and play the field.

Maybe I will be a better person if I open up to my new child and accept it for what it was born as.

I will learn to love it, that is my goal.
04-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laurenoe Quote
well...it looks like *i* am the new owner of all of my husband's nikon gear. The marketplace sale was withdrawn, and i have assumed ownership and care.

Why do i feel like i need to take a shower.

woo hoo! I bet the 1/250s flash sync comes in handy at times.