Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 03:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The G3 feels like an overgrown compact rather than a slimmed down DSLR.

So even though it's smaller, it feels clumsy and "big."

Does that make sense?

07-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it does, have you tried using one of the GF or PEN cameras?
07-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #18

Well maybe one of you who've used MFT for a while can tell me how big a mistake I've made.

I sold off my entire K-7 system and bought into a G3. There were a couple of key reasons (more than a couple) but I was OK with the trade-offs. Except there are some unknowns. I've never even held one... but I do have a GF1 in hand.

- I found the K-7 too heavy to bring on mountain bike trips or long hikes. Medium hikes no problem.

- I often left the camera at home or in the car for social events due to the weight. Especially with a fast zoom. I liked it with a small prime but not always.

- My wife was completely intimidated by the K-7. She would not read the manual no matter how many times I handed it to her ;-) Therefore she wouldn't take pictures.

- Video specs equal to my dedicated video camera, which I also sold.

- Upcoming summer trips where I'll have to carry the camera all day. Cutting the weight makes a big difference. This is maybe the key reason - weight & size.

- I ended up with a good pile of cash left over.

- G3 has better (less) ISO noise than the K-7.

- Swivel screen is neat :-)

What I actually did was buy a G3 body on pre-order and it hasn't arrived yet. With corp discount it was cheap ($450). Meanwhile I found a GF1 with 14-45mm + 20mm lens on Craigslist which I bought and will sell the GF1 when the G3 gets here.

I don't mind carrying the GF1 on a strap over my shoulder all day. I believe the G3 will be about the same. It's definitely bigger than it seems in the photos but so much lighter than a K-7.

I'm really worried though about indoor action shots. I have a feeling I'll miss the K-7 + FA50 for indoor sports. Or maybe it will feel like a toy. Although the GF1 doesn't at all. I hate composing with the LCD on the GF1, but I'm stuck with that for now.

Man I hope I don't end up hating the G3, but I'm going to give it an honest shot.
07-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I think you will be happy with the G3. I just got mine about a week ago. I still prefer the styling on the Olympus bodies but it's probably a better camera than the Olympus. That said I will be getting an EP3 at some point because I really like the art filters.

I now carry the G3 + 20 + 14 and the X100. It weighs less than the K5 without a lens attached.

I plan on ditching the entire DSLR set up next year. I like the smaller cameras. I'm waiting to see what Ricoh does with the GXR to see if I want to keep any Kmount lenses.

Last edited by stanleyk; 07-13-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling
07-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote
Well maybe one of you who've used MFT for a while can tell me how big a mistake I've made.

Well, OK

I sold off my entire K-7 system and bought into a G3. There were a couple of key reasons (more than a couple) but I was OK with the trade-offs. Except there are some unknowns. I've never even held one... but I do have a GF1 in hand.

Hmmm, that's brave. The G3 is a very different body type to the K-7 and as Christine has indicated, it may not suit everyone. If you're comfortable with the size of the GF1 then it should be fine.

- I found the K-7 too heavy to bring on mountain bike trips or long hikes. Medium hikes no problem.

Me too. I bushwalk a lot and that's why I went from an Oly E-3 to GH2, and it's been great.

- I often left the camera at home or in the car for social events due to the weight. Especially with a fast zoom. I liked it with a small prime but not always.

As above. I now take my GH2 with 14/f2.5 or 20/f1.7 everywhere with me in my Domke F10 (which I carry anyway for Uni). Very portable - chuck it over your shoulder and forget its there

- My wife was completely intimidated by the K-7. She would not read the manual no matter how many times I handed it to her ;-) Therefore she wouldn't take pictures.

iAuto on Panasonics has a great reputation (I've never actually used it...). Your wife should be happy using it as a P&S.

- Video specs equal to my dedicated video camera, which I also sold.

I hope you didn't use an external mic with your dedicated video camera... That said the GH2/G3 inbuilt stereo microphone is very good.

- Upcoming summer trips where I'll have to carry the camera all day. Cutting the weight makes a big difference. This is maybe the key reason - weight & size.

As mentioned, size/portability is great.

- I ended up with a good pile of cash left over.

Always a winner...

- G3 has better (less) ISO noise than the K-7.

You should be satisfied with this. My GH2 files have been noticeably better than my K20D/K-7 files.

- Swivel screen is neat :-)

It really is, especially as live view is so seemless for composition and focussing. This really comes into its own if you do tripod work.

What I actually did was buy a G3 body on pre-order and it hasn't arrived yet. With corp discount it was cheap ($450). Meanwhile I found a GF1 with 14-45mm + 20mm lens on Craigslist which I bought and will sell the GF1 when the G3 gets here.

If you can afford to I'd keep the GF1 - it's still an amazing compact kit with the 20/f1.7

I don't mind carrying the GF1 on a strap over my shoulder all day. I believe the G3 will be about the same. It's definitely bigger than it seems in the photos but so much lighter than a K-7.

You should be happy with the size I think. It's surprisingly close to the GF1 (I thought it'd be closer to the GH2...)

I'm really worried though about indoor action shots. I have a feeling I'll miss the K-7 + FA50 for indoor sports. Or maybe it will feel like a toy. Although the GF1 doesn't at all. I hate composing with the LCD on the GF1, but I'm stuck with that for now.

In case you aren't aware, the 20/f1.7 focusses sloooooooow, and it doesn't do AF-C. If you don't mind MF, I'd consider keeping the FA50/f1.4 and getting a Fotodiox PK-m43 adapter. These are very cheap and using manual lenses on Micro Four Thirds is a breeze. The newly release Olympus 45/f1.8 looks very good and might be a good bet for indoors (similar field of view as a 50mm on the K-7 and amazingly sharp at f1.8)

Man I hope I don't end up hating the G3, but I'm going to give it an honest shot.
Hope you enjoy it
07-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

dpreview just did a full review of the G3, and was quite positive.

I hope that those who have pre-ordered the G3 will like it.
07-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I've a G3 on pre-order (I have access to panasonic's EPP discount making it a good deal at 25% off before taxes). It looks to be just slightly larger (plus viewfinder) than the GF1, which I really liked. I'm not expecting the build of the GF1, but I don't mind a solid plastic camera either (had no problem with K-x build). I just sold my sigma 120-400mm as I found it too large. I picked up the panasonic 100-300mm which I plan on pairing with the G3, which appears to have about the best high ISO performance of M4/3 to date (on par w/the GH2). It'll probably be another month before I get the camera though!

07-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #23

Hey Nick (and all), thanks for the feedback it's appreciated. I'm expecting the G3 to arrive maybe by Fall at this rate but until then I'll keep using the GF1. I was unware of how slow the 20mm is so perhaps I should budget for that new Olympus 45. I would use it a lot more than the long zoom. But damn I know it won't be cheap... what is though?

I do still have a K200d which is my favorite Pentax of all time, but I expect I'll sell it if it sits for too long. My second favorite is the *ist-D. I have no explanation as to why this is but there you go.
07-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Check out that strap...lol

07-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
07-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

LOL - yeah!

Thanks for sharing the link. The guy in the video is a bit up himself, but it's a good overview of the camera from a street shooter perspective.

The video has confirmed for me that the camera is way too big to suit me - I want a size closer to the pink camera the girl was holding (near the fake Hogwarts train).

The AF looks pretty good though - not quite phase detect speeds, but usable I think - much more usable than the G3/GF3.
07-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm still going to wait for the Pentax Q before buying into a mirrorless interchangeable system, i was all set for a Panasonic GF 1 till all these releases/announcements but i'm hoping this "backlit" sensor from Sony is as good as they're saying even as tiny as 1.63 and those Pentax Q primes are as good as their legacy slr primes, yes i know i'm expecting a lot but i'm counting on Pentax again to produce yet another industry winner.
07-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still going to wait for the Pentax Q before buying into a mirrorless interchangeable system, i was all set for a Panasonic GF 1 till all these releases/announcements but i'm hoping this "backlit" sensor from Sony is as good as they're saying even as tiny as 1.63 and those Pentax Q primes are as good as their legacy slr primes, yes i know i'm expecting a lot but i'm counting on Pentax again to produce yet another industry winner.
1/1.63" would be in a different league, however, the Q has the 1/2.23" sensor.
07-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
1/1.63" would be in a different league, however, the Q has the 1/2.23" sensor.
My bad, thanks for the correction. I'm using the LX 5 at the moment, spec overload.
07-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #30

Sorry for the bad taste in quoting myself but I got the G3 this week and have been playing with it. The interface is a little confusing, it'll take some getting used to. But man so far - I really like this thing. More than I thought it would. I will absolutely love taking it on long trips.

There are some drawbacks and I still want to keep a Pentax body with a nice prime or two but, this mirrorless thing is going in the right direction.

- Lens better than I expected. Nice images!
- I love swivel screens now.
- It's designed to use the touchscreen and, while it feels like cheating - it works really well.

- It's a bit slower, more awkward to use.
- Tiny buttons and wheels are difficult to actuate, makes it feel toy-like.

Nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote