Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

So these newer adapter will allow the use of DA lenses on the MFT mount? How does one actually know what aperture you are set at in that case? Or is it a random thing? Wide open or completely stopped down? Since the DA lenses have no aperture ring to turn like the FA series and all.

08-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

EPqwerty, it is random. All the mechanical lever does is gradually close the aperture. I have observed that the one I linked to (on the first page) has mild stops in the turn range that appear to approximate full stops of the aperture. This is purely based on watching the blades close down with the lever, and then observing them closed via the aperture ring on my 43mm ltd. It may not be exact or the same with each lens (it is possible I suppose, if the aperture arm is a constant for every lens, this I don't know), but it seems do work reasonably well for a general guide to where the lens is stopped down.

Rparmar - unfortunately I don't know which sellers I bought mine from (aside from the link on the first page) - typically, it was whichever was cheapest on ebay to be honest!
08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here's how you could make those adapters handier for use with a given lens.
1. mount lens on adapter on camera on tripod in "A" mode
2. ensure you have unchanging light
3. focus on a grey card
4. start with adapter wide open and note how the camera meters the exposure (shutter speed)
5. turn the adapter and note that points at which shutter speed is reduced by exactly half
6. mark these on the adapter with china marker or something
7. when you are done, disassemble
8. use nail polish or appropriate paint to make the marks on the adapter more permanent
08-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
So these newer adapter will allow the use of DA lenses on the MFT mount? How does one actually know what aperture you are set at in that case? Or is it a random thing? Wide open or completely stopped down? Since the DA lenses have no aperture ring to turn like the FA series and all.
The aperture ring is like the volume control on your car radio and I am sure you don't just set the volume off or maximum.

08-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So if I was interested in using a DA lens and a FA (and K) lens with aperture control, which adapter would be best? Or would it be best to get 2 cheap adapters? One with and one without aperture control.

Last edited by gtxtom; 08-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.
08-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It would be best to get 2 of the cheap ones Tom - the downside of the adapter that will control aperture on DA lenses (or others without an aperture ring), is that it won't allow you to use the aperture ring on lenses that Do have one.
08-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have the rainbowimaging one and it works just fine.

08-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
It would be best to get 2 of the cheap ones Tom - the downside of the adapter that will control aperture on DA lenses (or others without an aperture ring), is that it won't allow you to use the aperture ring on lenses that Do have one.
I use my aperture control adapter with DA and M lenses. On the M lenses, I stop down the lens all the way to F22 and then open it up with the adapter. Works a peach.
08-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'll have to try that John, maybe its just that adapter (the one I linked above) that won't work? I do remember being able to use the aperture ring with the first adapter that I had last year that also had the non-ring aperture control.
08-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

John, you have the Fotodiox with aperture control adapter? I think that's the one I'm leaning towards.
08-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
John, you have the Fotodiox with aperture control adapter? I think that's the one I'm leaning towards.
Yup. Cheap and cheerful. I'd suggest you tighten the screws on the mount before using. Otherwise, mine's been fine. The largest lens that I've used with it was a Tamron 90/2.8 Macro and it worked well: