Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
comparing adapters for Micro Four Thirds (MFT)

Anyone have direct experience mounting an FA Limited on a Micro Four Thirds (MFT) camera? I bought a cheap eBay adapter. While it does the job, the lens does not lock into place. Thus it is easy to twist it off the adapter, with potentially disastrous results.

Oddly, older lenses from the K series etc. work just perfectly. I have no idea why this should be the case.

Can anyone recommend a specific adapter that does work for FA Limiteds? Preferably one that does not cost the moon?

08-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm interested in this as well. It would be nice to get one with aperture control so I could use my newer lenses as well.
08-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My article Adapters for Pentax K Lens on MFT Cameras lists common brands, with prices from $18 (including shipping) to $240 plus shipping.

Only the Novoflex offers an aperture control ring. But I think newer lenses would suffer by comparison, since they are optimised for auto-focus. Hence their manual focus feeling is poor.
08-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

rparmar, your note on the aperture control ring is no longer the case - they can be had on ebay for under $30 - I have one of these, $26.99:

Pentax-K-lens-MICRO-4-3-M4-3-adapter-GH1-E-P1-E-P2-/

This adapter not only controls the aperture on lenses with no aperture ring, the aperture control even has mild click stops (like very light notches felt while turning) that approximate full aperture stops (based on my visual observation of my 43mm and 50mm lenses).

For anyone looking for adapters, if you want to use one specifically for lenses that already have an aperture ring, you're better off with one that doesn't have the manual control I linked to above - it negates the ability to use the native aperture ring on the lens.

08-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that info! Precisely why I posted this thread...to get more information. Searches on eBay are so random and I have never once pulled up that particular model.

Now, if anyone can recommend a basic adapter that holds the FA 43 properly...
08-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Er, wait, Paul, I see no aperture ring on this adapter? So how does it work?
08-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just like the novoflex does. It his a small arm that extends in and manually turns the aperture pin/arm at the base of the lens - the small adapter arm is attached to the outer ring (the ring part seen labeled lock-------open), which you turn to open and close the aperture. It is quite simple, and works well. I currently have the one I linked to above, but earlier this year (I had some m4/3 stuff, sold it, and have bought in again) I bought the same adapter and paid $65 for it - at $27 it is a no brainer for using current DA lenses (granted throughing the 50-135mm on an m4/3 camera is a little silly!).
08-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see. If it was me I'd have labelled the aperture ring something other than "lock - open". :-)

08-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
Banned

Here is my GH2 with Rainbow Imaging PK adapter:

With Fotodiox PK adapter w/ aperture control ring:
08-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I see. If it was me I'd have labelled the aperture ring something other than "lock - open". :-)
Yup. It's like it was translated from English into Yiddish then into Mandarin and then back into English. But it works just like pxpaulx describes. I've got the Fotodiox version. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence - mine worked its way loose but a small screwdriver fixed the errant screw and it's worked fine ever since.

Don't buy the Fotodiox extension tubes though - lots of flare because they are shiny black on the inside...
08-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, either of you used an adapter with an FA Limited?
08-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I have a Fotodiox and it has aperture control for the DA ltd lenses. It seems to be well made. I have used the FA 77 and A 50/1.2 on there without problems as well as the M 50/1.7. However, I can't say whether or not there is sample to sample variation. The 77 is currently the only FA ltd I have. I had used the FA 77 and A 50 on there so much, I had forgotten it had the aperture control for the DA lenses.
08-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So, either of you used an adapter with an FA Limited?
I've used a total of 4 different adapters now (2 with aperture control and 2 without) - I haven't experienced any problems with them, though the pins to lock the lens on have never inspired confidence on any of them that I can recall (they all seem to be a mild spring loaded catch that barely has any tension). I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with the FA Ltds in particular. I just went and tried both of mine with the 43mm and they locked in fine (with a small amount of play due to the pin size).

BTW Jogiba's fotodiox aperture control adapter looks exactly the same as the ebay one I linked to above that I have (minus the fotodiox name of course!). I agree with him on build, adding the aperture control ring at such a low cost does contribute to a lower overall quality/feel to the adapter (this was the case with the previous aperture control adapter I had as well). Both of the non-aperture control adapters have had a much more solid build (and as I said before would be preferable if you'll primarily use lenses that already have an aperture ring).
08-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of the non-aperture adapters that you have found to work well, what are the brands? Or eBay sources? I'd really like to get a better one!
08-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Voightlander makes a nice adapter but it is uber expensive, but not as expensive as Novoflex.