Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dust in Lens - Need Service Center Advice

Hello,

A friend of mine found in his dad's old photography equipment a Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 100 mm f/2.5 lens. Cosmetically and mechanically it is in a very good condition. The problem with it is that it's full of dust on the inside. Not big particles, but very many fibres.
Sadly, here in Romania, there is no one left who is willing to clean old Minolta glass. Do any of you know a repair service in nearby states (Hungary, Serbia, Austria, etc.) that can (and are willing) do this?

08-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you sure its not fungus? Google lens fungus and click on images to get some examples. It might not be worth repairing unless you can find a country to get it repaired in that has a very low cost of labor. I heard of someone getting a lens cleaned, lubricated and adjusted in a small shop in Korea for next to nothing. Here in the US (and many other countries) you can not get anyone to do anything to a lens for less than about 150USD. If it is fungus, It could have damaged the coatings or even etched the glass. While it can sometimes be repaired, it can be very expensive depending on what they do. Keep shipping cost both ways in mind too.
What is the value of the lens there (cost to replace it with the same/similar lens)?

If you don,t find anyone that can do it, you could always get adventitious and try yourself. The worst you could do is trash it and if its no good anyway?

Last edited by ripit; 08-12-2011 at 08:15 AM.
08-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm not 100% it's dust. It looks like dust when viewed directly, but when you look at it in an angle, it resembles waves in the glass binding agent. Sadly, I cannot take a good enough photo to illustrate the problem.
The lens is not mine, so there's not any cost related problems. The friend that gave it to me wanted for me to sell it and make some spare money (He doesn't own photographic equipment anymore).
I want to fix it, because, after seeing some photographs taken with it, I was surprised with their quality. Besides that, it has f/2.5 and can serve as a good portrait lens (I think it was used by my friend's dad for wedding photography).
08-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ioszhka Quote
I'm not 100% it's dust. It looks like dust when viewed directly, but when you look at it in an angle, it resembles waves in the glass binding agent. Sadly, I cannot take a good enough photo to illustrate the problem.
The lens is not mine, so there's not any cost related problems. The friend that gave it to me wanted for me to sell it and make some spare money (He doesn't own photographic equipment anymore).
I want to fix it, because, after seeing some photographs taken with it, I was surprised with their quality. Besides that, it has f/2.5 and can serve as a good portrait lens (I think it was used by my friend's dad for wedding photography).
while groups can be re glued, you are talking about very expensive work that goes far beyond what that lens is worth (unless like I said you can find repairs in a country where cost of labor ism very low). At least that is what I have been led to believe. That lens seems to be selling for over 100USD on ebay here which is high for an old manual focus lens. I'm betting it is a pretty good lens. If no one comes up with any recommendations, you might want to try and salvage it yourself. Does any of it show on photos and can you tell roughly where in the lens the damage is?