Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why does Leica use square lens hoods?

I've noticed this in essentially every Leica lens hood I've encountered, including those for some Panasonic Leica Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses. Why does Leica use square lens hoods? Is there an advantage to this design?

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 08-12-2011 at 06:01 PM.
08-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They are more effective than round ones because they match the shape of the image.
08-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

As above.

A round lens hood will need cover the image circle, which means that there will be unnecessary gaps at the top and sides that a direct light source could come through and strike the lens element. A square hood will avoid this.

As a guess, I'd say it's probably more expensive to manufacture (at least it would have been when they were made of metal) which could explain why Leica does it when others don't...
08-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.

I kinda wish more manufacturers took this "100% no compromise" approach in designing and building equipment like Leica, regardless of cost and even at huge premiums for a larger number of products, like the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 (US$26K) and Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH. (US$10K) ...

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 08-12-2011 at 09:57 PM.
08-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Not just Leicas with square|rectangular metal hoods -- I have such for a YashicaMat TLR. No compromise!
08-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A round hood would probably block the viewfinder on a rangefinder camera, or TLR.
08-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
Banned

I have not seen round film or sensors.

08-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have not seen round film or sensors.
Film: apply sharp scissors.
Sensor: use masking tape.

Back in the day, I made an oatmeal-carton pinhole camera, with 8x10 photo paper as the negative. This produces an infinite-DOF fisheye panorama that fades towards the corners. So, after processing, I'd sometimes cut the image into a circle. I suppose I could have pre-cut the paper, which would then be: CIRCULAR FILM! See, it ain't no big thang.

Hmmm, dredging back into my distant memories, I recall reading of popular portable 'miniature' cameras of the 1880's and thereabouts, in the form of revolvers, pistols, even shotguns. And these used circular plates! So there's a history here.
08-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I really have not thought this out so I hope I am not missing something obvious and wind up looking like a real dope.
But, is it not similar to the use of a polarizing filter?
By that I mean, if the lens rotates when zooming or focusing would not the orientation that was previously set then have to be re-set? Round is round is round.
Also are the Leicas square or are they rectangular to match the 1 x 1.5 film area?
I would think that square would also have the same "gap" problems as another poster notes for round ones.
08-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cine hoods are rectangular as well.

And many rangefinder hoods have holes in the back so you can still see your subject.
08-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, double post due to server wackiness.

Last edited by rparmar; 08-13-2011 at 01:31 PM.
08-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey guess what?

************** BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!! **************

PENTAX, that's right, Asahi Pentax, made rectangular hoods for Takumars.

My 20, 24, 28, and 35mm M42 S-M-C Takumars all have rectangular hoods.
08-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Hey guess what?

************** BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!! **************

PENTAX, that's right, Asahi Pentax, made rectangular hoods for Takumars.

My 20, 24, 28, and 35mm M42 S-M-C Takumars all have rectangular hoods.
, but I'm disappointed that many manufacturers (Leica excepted) have gone cheap with this stuff nowadays—round hoods that are less than optimal in reducing lens flare, plastic lens mounts that wear out faster than metal mounts, removal of distance scales, etc.

All of this is simply to reduce costs. I'm a very quality-oriented consumer, and while not many people can afford to buy no-compromise equipment like the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV or Leica M9, I wish manufacturers took fewer of these kinds of shortcuts in designing and building equipment. I expect a reasonable degree of quality for all of the equipment I obtain, and I'm willing to pay more to get a product that doesn't suck.

None of this means that one brand of equipment is necessarily better than another; this is a phenomenon that I'm seeing across the vast majority of consumer products. Shortcuts in manufacturing equipment, like plastic mounts, are simply disappointing to me.

Almost no equipment is made to the standards they would have been made to several decades ago

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 08-13-2011 at 02:58 PM.
08-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
I really have not thought this out so I hope I am not missing something obvious and wind up looking like a real dope.
But, is it not similar to the use of a polarizing filter?
By that I mean, if the lens rotates when zooming or focusing would not the orientation that was previously set then have to be re-set? Round is round is round.
Also are the Leicas square or are they rectangular to match the 1 x 1.5 film area?
I would think that square would also have the same "gap" problems as another poster notes for round ones.
not a problem because you won’t be using zoom lenses on a rangefinder. the closest thing to such is a tri-elmar, but then that isn’t really a ‘zoom’ lens in the traditional sense, and even that utilizes a square hood. rotating front elements aren't something you really see with prime lenses. this is only something that effects more modern consumer zoom lenses, which are a world apart from a Leica rangefinder lens.
08-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
K-9
Veteran Member

Those expensive Voigtlanders (125mm, 180mm) also came with square hoods.