Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This and the A77 have a feel of Pentax design to them. At least to me. Mostly in the layout, materials, and some button placements.

08-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Yes, the 5N is the cam I will be looking at - I suspect while the 7 looks good, the performance of the 5n will be excellent versus the price - the C3 only goes to ISO 200 - the 5N goes to 100.

I am wondering how long it will take for some 3rd party mfr to make a vf for some of these cameras.

Edit: Pentax, you missed the boat on selling me a mirrorless body.
Exactly my feeling, looking at the specs of the 5N vs Nex 7 I am not seeing a huge advantage to the 7 (although it undoubtedly 'looks' nicer) for the vast majority of my shooting. Hope you are right about the VF.

Don't you shoot mostly Canon now (or am I getting my posters mixed up) !? Regardless all of the Pentax prime glass you have in your sig will go very nicely on the Nex.
08-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
It just depends on your personal taste. I have a K5 and mainly use an EP2 and the X100. While I will keep my K5, it may be the last DSLR I ever buy. I went ahead and pre-ordered the NEX 7 + the new 24mm. I hate to say it but right now it's more appealing than the GXR which I was planning on buying. Having spent the last year mainly using EVF's I have no issue with them and given that current DSLR's don't have a split prism, I find manual focusing with an EVF much easier. Especially for an oldster like me without great eyesight.

It doesn't hurt that I can use my Pentax lenses on the Olympus and NEX cameras. I could easily see myself getting rid of the DLSR body and keeping the lenses.
Horses for courses Stanley

Whilst I see it as a back up and just to be able to slip into my pocket on occasions when I don't want to cart along a DSLR others wil see it as their primary camera. TBH I found that (after testing the Nex C3 in the shop), with MF lenses, the CIF on the K5 works much faster and maybe a little more accurately than Peaking on the C3. However that may change with more practice.

Whatever good to hear it's working out for you Stanley .. and that's the only thing that matters.
08-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
All I can say is that since I bought a NEX-5, I'm using it more and more and my big heavy DSLRs less and less.
Would really like to see some comparison shots (or just any from the Nex 5) ! How does the IQ / Noise compare ?

08-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Would really like to see some comparison shots (or just any from the Nex 5) ! How does the IQ / Noise compare ?
May be hard to find just yet as the camera hasn't been released, but you can check out the C3 samples as they share the same sensor and engine.

Jason

edit: I stand corrected...NEX-5n samples: http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/sony_nex_5n_photos
(pre-production body/firmware, of course)

Last edited by Jasvox; 08-25-2011 at 02:54 AM.
08-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
May be hard to find just yet as the camera hasn't been released, but you can check out the C3 samples as they share the same sensor and engine.

Jason

edit: I stand corrected...NEX-5n samples: Sony NEX-5N Photos | PhotographyBLOG
(pre-production body/firmware, of course)
Thanks for that link Jason ... I'll be going there now. However I actually meant from JHD's Nex 5 (not the 5N).
08-25-2011, 04:08 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Nex-7 is maybe the first mirrorless camera that I'm tempted to buy. The integrated EVF, APS-C sensor, easy MF, triple dials do it for me. The NX10 came close but MF issues and bad EVF didn't do it for me. At 1200$ for the Nex-7 it's a bit steep though. We'll see...

08-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Wait 6 months after initial release and buy the Nex-7 for $999 (or less). By that time, there will probably be an NEX-9 as well as an A99.

Jason
08-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly my feeling, looking at the specs of the 5N vs Nex 7 I am not seeing a huge advantage to the 7 (although it undoubtedly 'looks' nicer) for the vast majority of my shooting. Hope you are right about the VF.

Don't you shoot mostly Canon now (or am I getting my posters mixed up) !? Regardless all of the Pentax prime glass you have in your sig will go very nicely on the Nex.
No, still Pentax (if at all!),but the 43mm is equally at home on the E-pl1. Which is great in daylight (and does wonderful jpgs that I don't have to touch), but horrible in low light. Hence the desire for a larger sensor.
I only took the E-pl1, 17mm, kit and 43mm travelling (along with two kids, three bags and a stroller) and the only time I felt let down was in low light (and it made me appreciate how good the K-7's WB is).

Be interested to see what Samsung now brings out. It's just a bummer that neither sony or Samsung do in-body SR for MILCs.
08-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just over a year ago there were folks doubting that EVILs would ever challenge dSLRs. The NEX-7 is a real coming-of-age for them. The specs are impressive and the build quality looks excellent too. If I hadn't bought into Panasonic recently for their video features, I'd be taking a long, hard look. Sony will steal Canon and Nikon's lunch money if they aren't careful.

You know those guys with more cash than photographic skills that buy 5DIIs and D700s? I won't be surprised if they start buying the NEX-7 instead, it just looks really...desirable.
08-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Be interested to see what Samsung now brings out. It's just a bummer that neither sony or Samsung do in-body SR for MILCs.
Both of course have the know-how but it would add considerably to the size of the cameras and that seems to be the main focal point (excuse the pun !) of these recent offerings, keeping it small. Maybe they will offer an SR version in the future.
08-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
You know those guys with more cash than photographic skills that buy 5DIIs and D700s?
Oh, you mean me? :-)

To be honest, I was actually contemplating buying a full frame Canon (it helps that someone offered to get me any Canon gear I want at wholesale+5) - I have shot with a 1D Mk III before so I am reasonably comfortable with the controls on the high end bodies.

The NEX7 looks really attractive, but I don't like the lens lineup.

Buying a Canon will allow me to "borrow" lenses from my friends. None of them own Sony.

However, I suspect Canon will probably release another full frame camera soon, so I'll wait for that.
08-26-2011, 03:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
The NEX7 looks really attractive, but I don't like the lens lineup.

What you don't like the fact you can use all your Pentax, Canon, Zeiss, Leica and anything else on it !?
08-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #44
Banned

Since the a77 has light loss to the sensor from using two semi-transparent mirrors the NEX-7 should be better for low light video.
08-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #45
Veteran Member

What you don't like the fact you can use all your Pentax, Canon, Zeiss, Leica and anything else on it !?

Try manual focusing at 10fps :-)