Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Jodo, Very simply, I pointed out the A580 as a contrast to your generalization about Sony's lack of high iso prowess. If that threatens your stance, so be it as that is the nature of a public message board. Do you think it is possible to continue the discussion without your personal jabs? Thank you.

That being said, I will expand a little on what I said earlier. I wouldn't fault any camera maker for releasing new models, no matter how substantial the improvements or differences. That is what a forward thinking business should be doing rather than releasing one to two models every 18 months and having a prayer of making it. Sometimes the models are a hit, and sometimes they are a thud (see the Pentax K-7 versus the K-x, which were released very close together, one being a hit and the other being a disappointment in general...much opposite of the K-5 versus the K-r, minus the stained sensors, FF issues, sensor flop, etc etc etc). Pushing the envelop sometimes has its advantages, and sometimes it just doesn't stick. Regardless of the number of models Sony releases every 2 years (no one is expecting nor has anyone asked you to memorize the models), you cant fault a manufacturer for bringing new models to the market place as in some way, large or small, it benefits everyone, Not only Sony's consumers, but the consumer market as a whole.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 08-31-2011 at 05:57 AM.
08-31-2011, 06:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Jodo, Regardless of the number of models Sony releases every 2 years (no one is expecting nor has anyone asked you to memorize the models), you cant fault a manufacturer for bringing new models to the market place as in some way, large or small, it benefits everyone, Not only Sony's consumers, but the consumer market as a whole.

Jason
Sony's marketing for cameras comes straight from there core business TV's. they have new models yearly but true change much less frequently
In reality Pentax's camera timeline is more in line with actual product change. In film days new SLR bodies were far less frequent than they are now. the current level of change is driven by improved sensors (ie film). Until digital came along my camera bodies lasted me far longer (my last body before my DS lasted me 10 years)
now i seem to replace every 3-4 not because the old camera isn't functional but because the newer models outperform. previously if i wasn't happy with image quality i bought a new lens or changed film or where i had it processed
08-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you think it is possible to continue the discussion without your personal jabs? Thank you.
Funny, because I had no problem with anything until you did just that.
And you fault Sony for this? Amazing.
Jason
Since we're expanding, I never had any real problem with how many models Sony releases. Do I think it's excessive? Yes, but who really gives a crap. All I said, was that with as many as they've released as often as they have, it's much more than likely that I missed one of them. Sorry, I don't have all the time in the world to keep up with what every manufacturer does.
09-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

as discussed earlier...It looks like they are doing something right with that same sensor. To each his own.

One stop better high ISO than K-5?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Jason

09-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
as discussed earlier...It looks like they are doing something right with that same sensor. To each his own.

One stop better high ISO than K-5?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Jason
These are jpegs, with the camera set to factory defaults, and questionable focus accuracy. Typical Comparometer non-level comparisons.