Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #61

Original Poster
This is a set of images taken with my Zeiss glass yesterday.
I really wish I didn't have to use an adapter...
Again, Pentax could have made this camera.
Now they are stuck with one crop DSLR which not only has to compete
against Canon and Nikon, but also against Sony and other
mirrorless systems. Their R&D money has been spent on Q...
Really hard to see where this brand can go from here.
Anyway my K5 is for sale, if anyone is interested

Andrew

09-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
...Now they are stuck with one crop DSLR which not only has to compete
against Canon and Nikon, but also against Sony and other
mirrorless systems. Their R&D money has been spent on Q...
I am not interested in a small mirrorless camera. So, the K-5 / Kr are not competing against any mirrorless systems. And, last I checked, the Q is a small mirrorless system. I don't quite get why you are posting here?
09-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I am not interested in a small mirrorless camera. So, the K-5 / Kr are not competing against any mirrorless systems. And, last I checked, the Q is a small mirrorless system. I don't quite get why you are posting here?
I don't get why you are intimating he doesn't. Suggest you check the title of the forum.
09-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there are 1st-time buyers who would compare the K-r with a mirrorless system, if the prices are similar. Face it, many, many people compare products strictly on price and ignore the nuances of actual usage. These folks often shop at Best Buy.

While I generally dislike whiners, I think the OP does have a valid point, although I disagree with it. I don't know if Pentax can compete with the 800lb gorillas in a direct fashion and consistently match up. In the past I've posted on PF that perhaps Pentax's best role is to be a niche player. Of course, this was prior to Ricoh's acquisition of Pentax.

I think there is a need for both criticism and praise for Pentax. Sometimes the criticism is jarring, and sometimes an individual considers only his own needs and does not take into account a wider perspective.

FWIW, while I don't predict success for the Q, Pentax is trying to blaze it's own trail. I highly doubt Pentax (when owned by Hoya) was in a position to come up with something similar to the new NEX, as I'd guess the R&D costs would be higher vs the Q. (And as an aside, who know about parts availability? I'm sure Pentax is far down the proverbial list in terms of purchasing sensors and the like.) I'll let the reader decide if it is valid to criticize Pentax for not competing in a market that they can't/are not allowed to compete in.

09-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm sure Pentax is far down the proverbial list in terms of purchasing sensors and the like.) I'll let the reader decide if it is valid to criticize Pentax for not competing in a market that they can't/are not allowed to compete in.
That might be a valid point but for one factor : the NEX 5(and 5N) cameras use the same sensor as the K5.
09-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
That might be a valid point but for one factor : the NEX 5(and 5N) cameras use the same sensor as the K5.
I don't see how. I have no idea what the supply/demand ratio is for that sensor, but maybe they are all "spoken for", in which case Pentax would have to cut K5 production to make another camera.
09-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I think there are 1st-time buyers who would compare the K-r with a mirrorless system, if the prices are similar. Face it, many, many people compare products strictly on price and ignore the nuances of actual usage.
But there are also many people who do not buy that way and aren't interested in a small mirrorless system. Just because one person prefers it, doesn't mean a company should completely change the way it makes cameras to suite that one person.

I have no interest in a NEX or other similar camera. Its fine if you do. But Pentax doesn't make one (with the exception of the small sensor Q) so if thats what you want, then go get one from another maker. I don't see why this is a huge thread on here. I really don't see the point of continually posting images from one of these cameras. I'm sure the IQ is fine...what is the point of posting these?

09-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I don't see how. I have no idea what the supply/demand ratio is for that sensor, but maybe they are all "spoken for", in which case Pentax would have to cut K5 production to make another camera.
Well as you said neither you " have no idea what the supply/demand ratio is for that sensor" and neither do I, however I doubt the K5 has a limited production run and now that Sony have brought out the 24mp then it is likely the 16mp will be in less demand. Maybe

Fantastic shots there Andi - I'm going to have to get me a NEX 5N to supplement my K5 (as you can see I have some Zeiss glass too - looks great on the NEX).
09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #69
Site Supporter

Not to mention the D7000.
09-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But there are also many people who do not buy that way and aren't interested in a small mirrorless system. Just because one person prefers it, doesn't mean a company should completely change the way it makes cameras to suite that one person.
I don't think the OP has stated that Pentax "should completely change the way it makes cameras". He just wanted a Pentax mirrorless similar to the NEX, that could use Pentax glass. Pentax could still make DSLRs. It doesn't have to be an either/or situation... although given Pentax's size and financials, maybe it does.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske:
I have no interest in a NEX or other similar camera. Its fine if you do. But Pentax doesn't make one (with the exception of the small sensor Q) so if thats what you want, then go get one from another maker. I don't see why this is a huge thread on here. I really don't see the point of continually posting images from one of these cameras. I'm sure the IQ is fine...what is the point of posting these?
I'm not particularly interested in a NEX type camera, either. But don't you think there is value in having us, as Pentax users, voice our interest? I don't see what the problem is in " continually posting images from one of these cameras" in the Non-Pentax Cameras forum.
09-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Not to mention the D7000.
And the D5100.

Well as you said neither you " have no idea what the supply/demand ratio is for that sensor" and neither do I, however I doubt the K5 has a limited production run and now that Sony have brought out the 24mp then it is likely the 16mp will be in less demand. Maybe

Fantastic shots there Andi - I'm going to have to get me a NEX 5N to supplement my K5 (as you can see I have some Zeiss glass too - looks great on the NEX).
Not saying a limited production run, but just as a purely hypothetical for-instance... what if Pentax estimated they'd need an additional 50k Sony 16mp sensors for their new 2012 PMS (Pentax Mirrorless System) camera. Sony says, sorry, our fabs are already at near-max capacity for the sensor, we have our own cams, your K5, Nikon, etc. to worry about.

(And maybe, just maybe, we don't want you to compete with us, yet.)
09-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #72

Original Poster
Just because one person prefers it, doesn't mean a company should completely change the way it makes cameras to suite that one person.
First you are borderline rude. If this has no interest to you, I don't see why you are here?
Second - I'm positive it's not "one person", there are thousands of people tired by the large DSLR equipment.
They haven't made the move yet, because so far the quality hasn't been nowhere close to the DSLR,
but I'm showing here in this thread that it is available now.
Actually, the NEX-5N with good glass produces better images than both Pentax K5 and Canon 5D II.
It's also a better camera for me because of the way MF is supported.
I'm pretty sure this is interesting to many.
09-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #73

Thanks for posting, images look stunning, colors and detail. Why did he post here? Simple, because is the Non-Pentax Cameras section! i do believe my K-x is a honest camera and can't ask more from it, but i want more and was looking at D7000. Now I'll dig also into this Sony, never crossed my mind that could be an option!
09-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

First you are borderline rude. If this has no interest to you, I don't see why you are here?
Second - I'm positive it's not "one person", there are thousands of people tired by the large DSLR equipment.
They haven't made the move yet, because so far the quality hasn't been nowhere close to the DSLR,
but I'm showing here in this thread that it is available now.
Actually, the NEX-5N with good glass produces better images than both Pentax K5 and Canon 5D II.
It's also a better camera for me because of the way MF is supported.
I'm pretty sure this is interesting to many.
I'm sure there are equally as many thousands who have no interest whatsoever in an undersized camera with a junky viewfinder. However, i suspect you will get your wish after Ricoh takes over the reins. At least they have an interest in Pentax as an imaging company, which is something Hoya never did have, even though they plucked Pentax from the edge of oblivion.
09-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #75
Veteran Member

That is impossible. Cannot achieve the same quality with only 12bit RAW. What do you like about the IQ of NEX that 5D or K-5 doesn't have?