Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
Again, Pentax could have made this camera.
Now they are stuck with one crop DSLR which not only has to compete
against Canon and Nikon, but also against Sony and other
mirrorless systems. Their R&D money has been spent on Q...
Really hard to see where this brand can go from here.
Anyway my K5 is for sale, if anyone is interested

Andrew
2 crop DSLRs.

If you find it "Really hard to see where this brand can go from here" then it's time for a vision check. Just a few short years ago many folks were saying that Sony had no business making non-P&S cameras.

09-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
That is impossible. Cannot achieve the same quality with only 12bit RAW. What do you like about the IQ of NEX that 5D or K-5 doesn't have?
Perhaps the NEX 5n has a weaker AA filter, which would help increase resolving power.
09-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Perhaps the NEX 5n has a weaker AA filter, which would help increase resolving power.
Could be. But weaker AA filter puts more presure on the quality of posprocessing. It may actually lead to worse photos, if not they are not processed well.
09-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could be. But weaker AA filter puts more presure on the quality of posprocessing. It may actually lead to worse photos, if not they are not processed well.
Yeah, I had a K100D, which had a weak AA filter, and sometimes I could see moire on feathers. It's always about compromise, isn't it...

09-05-2011, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

First you are borderline rude. If this has no interest to you, I don't see why you are here?
Second - I'm positive it's not "one person", there are thousands of people tired by the large DSLR equipment.
They haven't made the move yet, because so far the quality hasn't been nowhere close to the DSLR,
but I'm showing here in this thread that it is available now.
Actually, the NEX-5N with good glass produces better images than both Pentax K5 and Canon 5D II.
It's also a better camera for me because of the way MF is supported.
I'm pretty sure this is interesting to many.
If you are going to post with a provocative title and premise about the doom of a brand that many people love, then you best be prepared for the slings and arrows of the outraged.

p.s. - nice photos, but when was the last time that a major brand has released a camera that was not capable of nice photos?
10-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #81

Your photos are quite impressive. The 5N is a formidable camera. That said... the conditions you were shooting in, almost any camera could produce nice photos in those sorts of conditions. I am more interested in what a camera can do when conditions are NOT ideal. I have yet to find another camera that can top the Pentax for detail capture in lousy conditions.
10-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #82
Veteran Member

And may to better ones ;-)

10-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Actually, the NEX-5N with good glass produces better images than both Pentax K5 and Canon 5D II.
You either blind or didn't try the 5D. The NEX-5N is just about the IQ of K-5, nothing more, nothing else. May be it's slightly better is low light conditions, but, the first, the lack of lightning kills the idea of photography, and photos taken with such a conditions are just little less crappy on 5N. On the other hand, the noise level of 5N at high ISO can be less than on of 5D, but the details on the NEX is much worse.
10-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #84
Veteran Member

A K200D with the same glass could have taken images just as technically adequate as those posted.
10-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A K200D with the same glass could have taken images just as technically adequate as those posted.
+1
I didn't see anything special at his shots. And of course there's nothing that comes close to the FF IQ.
10-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #86
Veteran Member

It's also a better camera for me because of the way MF is supported.
I'm pretty sure this is interesting to many.
I missed this a while back it seems. As you can see from the thread I am generally supportive of your stance and the 5N (and the NEX 7 even better though the price is ridiculous), I think it's a great camera though the lack of any form of IS/SR and EVF detract (the price of the EVF available as an add-on is horrendous price-gouging).

However to say that it produces better images, wonderful though they may be, is clearly wrong. Hopefully this little clip will help put that one to bed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Particular attention should be made with regard to AF speed / IS/SR / huge DR difference / shutter lag / battery life / start up speed and WR - all important features of the K5. Most of the aspects where the Sony wins are gimmicky (for example the in camera panos - I had a HX1 so I know how this works, it looks good but the IQ is poor since it utilises the lowest quality Jpgs to achieve it) or personal preference (size and weight). I would love to add a 5N to my kit but never at the expense of a K5 !
10-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #87

Photos: Gallery
I have a Samsung NX100 and a K20D. Same chipset. When lighting situation is good, your subject stand still and well contrasted, the NX system can compete neck-to-neck without the added weight. It is when I have to deal with dicey situation such as very low light and low contrast situation, the K20D will shine due to its superior phase detection autofocus.

I know the NX100 is not a NEX. But i doubt that gap will improve since the law of physic is in favor of phase detection, i have a hunch that the NEX system would have a similar problem. Without a beam splitter, i don't know of a way that contrast detection could improve. Hence, I think that EVIL technology will never be better than DSLR completely if a quick, accurate focus is depended on it for money shot. But it is an exciting complement.

Last edited by truonganh; 10-22-2011 at 08:21 AM.