Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Olympus film cameras: battery drain

I am considering trying out the Oly system, as some of their lenses look interesting. There are f2 lenses at 21, 24, 40 and 100mm, and it sounds like the 50mm f2 macro competes with Leica.
Lens Group

Plus, watching the Oly lenses on Ebay, they're significantly cheaper than the Pentax ones, due to not fitting a modern body. They also look similar to the Pentax M lenses, which I am particularly fond of, with sweet manual focussing, but relatively modern design.

I'd be keen to hear people's opinion of the OM2 and OM4 series cameras, as these seem like a cheap intro to Olympus. It seems that the old Oly bodies suffer from rapid battery drain and the ones which take 1.5v batteries have noisier mirrors than the OM1 due to differences in metering. Although I am really interested in the Oly lenses, it seems their bodies just aren't up to the reliability of my ME Supers, unless you're prepared to go for a ti version, which costs a bomb. Maybe this is the answer?

08-31-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
I am considering trying out the Oly system, as some of their lenses look interesting. There are f2 lenses at 21, 24, 40 and 100mm, and it sounds like the 50mm f2 macro competes with Leica.
Lens Group

Plus, watching the Oly lenses on Ebay, they're significantly cheaper than the Pentax ones, due to not fitting a modern body. They also look similar to the Pentax M lenses, which I am particularly fond of, with sweet manual focussing, but relatively modern design.

I'd be keen to hear people's opinion of the OM2 and OM4 series cameras, as these seem like a cheap intro to Olympus. It seems that the old Oly bodies suffer from rapid battery drain and the ones which take 1.5v batteries have noisier mirrors than the OM1 due to differences in metering. Although I am really interested in the Oly lenses, it seems their bodies just aren't up to the reliability of my ME Supers, unless you're prepared to go for a ti version, which costs a bomb. Maybe this is the answer?
Rapid battery drain i only a problem with a dicky switch the same as it is with both Pentax LX and MX. Seriously it's a non issue on the Good OMs. The only one with a real problem in that department is an OM30 - which has a really stupidly placed on off switch and a focus confirm system that drains the batteries within hours if it;s left to it's own devices in a bag!

All F2 Zuikos are incredibly expensive, on a par with the Pentax equivalent so don't for a minute think OM system is cheaper. Third party glass is also considerably more expensive for OM mount that Pentax mount, which is the whoel reason I went pentax in the first place as I needed wide angle for a project urgently, and OM fit was rare and expensive, Pentax was cheap and plentiful. (Probbaly because the third party manufacturers made K bodies too)

My main camera is an OM2 Spot/Porgram, which I prefer to any manual Pentax even the LX (if the LX could spot meter though it would be different)
08-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had battery drain issues due to the types of batteries I placed in the camera. (OM4) I don't have an accurate recall of the problem or cure, but I think when I stacked 2 batteries I had a fast drain and when I purchased the higher voltage single battery it was OK.

I can't see myself ever going back to film. My cubic metre plus of slides is a nightmare to keep in order.
08-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Closed Account

For 30 years I have had Olympus: OM1 and OM4Ti, and have recently changed from OM4Ti to the LX. I keep working with the OM1/40mm simply because mine is set up with a Beattie screen (yes, you need to adjust the meter, or change the ASA) and I have never come across such a large and clear finder. The OM4, among OM photographers, is known for its heavy use of batteries. That was resolved with the OM4Ti. The OM4Ti is a fantastic camera, the lightmeter is like the LX' lightmeter, veru accurate. In addition it has a brilliant spotmeter, that is above all practical to use in all it possibilities. So why did I give up on that camera? First, I am not very careful with cameras. I was using my fourth OM4Ti after the three before all got simmilar electronic problems. They just wouldn't start up, or they'd fall out during shooting. I had them all repaired, with different repairers and it did not work. Now my forth body showed the same problem and I decided to go LX. The difference is the weight, the size of both bodies and lenses. The Om's are smaller and lighter. Lenses are pretty much the same quality, not hard and cold. I have not much experience with the OM2's

08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OM4 had serious battery drain issues. So did the OM2s and OMPC/OM40.

Chris
09-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Clogwyn Quote
All F2 Zuikos are incredibly expensive, on a par with the Pentax equivalent so don't for a minute think OM system is cheaper. Third party glass is also considerably more expensive for OM mount that Pentax mount
This is contrary to what I have observed for my initial observations for the following lenses over the last week, average prices including postage in the UK:

2.8/35, 25
2.8/35 shift, 256
1.8/50, 22
1.4/50, 39
2.8/100, 76

admitedly, none of these are f2, but then I am not aware of 20 or 24mm f2 lenses in the Pentax line up. Also, when I was interested in off brand lenses like Viv S1s or Tamron SP, it seemed there was lots of Olympus mount lenses available.

Still, not sure about the battery aspect of this idea...I'd read on photo.net that Olympus were taking back the OM4 and changing the electronics due to this problem...further opinions much appreciated.