Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, thats good to hear. I didn't knew there were such thing as EPL. And the kit goes for approx. 500$

Will have to check it out in some shop.

Are you sure about the ISO. Just had a glance at dpreview's samples and Oly's iso 400 looks a lot more rough than k200d's.

09-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
In terms of ISO (someone mentioned that), all of the m43 bodies will be an improvement over the K200D, smaller sensor or not
I am not convinced that my e-p1 is real improvement over my K200d. Even if it is, it is in no way a match for the K200d on other levels. The e-p1 has video capabilities with limitations. Now that I have a GF2 I will probably be selling the e-p1 but I do like its build and feel.
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I am not convinced that my e-p1 is real improvement over my K200d. Even if it is, it is in no way a match for the K200d on other levels. The e-p1 has video capabilities with limitations. Now that I have a GF2 I will probably be selling the e-p1 but I do like its build and feel.
Since you own both, k200d and E-P1, how would you describe difference in camera operation and AF speed? How good is the manual lens support on oly (metering, stabilization, exif)?

I shall wait until i get my F50/1.7 back from service, and if even then the AF under low light is miserable i might as well switch. Upgrading within Pentax line is too expensive, "big", and makes me keep some equipment that could fund the upgrade.
09-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Since you own both, k200d and E-P1, how would you describe difference in camera operation and AF speed? How good is the manual lens support on oly (metering, stabilization, exif)?

I shall wait until i get my F50/1.7 back from service, and if even then the AF under low light is miserable i might as well switch. Upgrading within Pentax line is too expensive, "big", and makes me keep some equipment that could fund the upgrade.
The firmware update did wonders for the e-p1 and af speed. The manual lens metering support is good on the e-p1 as long as you use an adapter than can set aperture on DA ltd lenses or other wise use ones with an aperture ring. The aperture data will be missing from the exif as will the focal length. Unfortunately, the mf assist doesn't work with those lenses. However, the GF2 seems to but so far I get better results with the e-p1 when manual focusing. I think in trick situations the K200d does better in the af arena with my primes. The stabilization on the e-p1 does a good job in most cases and is customizable. However, when composition has to be made quickly in conjunction with af, that is where the K200d has a big advantage. I have only had the GF2 a week, but I like the results I get with it better when using af lenses. Manual focus wise I seem to do better with the ep-1, but the GF2's mf focus assist is a nice feature. Video is far better on the GF2 as well. I got it for $389 shipped.

09-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
... the K200d has a big advantage.
Now this kind of words make me have second thoughts. I was thinking that except the form factor and things that relate from that, M4/3's have pretty much the same capabilities as DSLR's.

I wonder how much i could decrease the size and weight of my DSLR (lithium AA's, some walk-around LTD pancake - but then again, i cant justify those prices @ f2.8). And K-r body goes for 600$.

Honestly i'm also quite fed up with the AA battery management as well.

Last edited by ytterbium; 09-03-2011 at 02:11 AM.
09-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Now this kind of words make me have second thoughts. I was thinking that except the form factor and things that relate from that, M4/3's have pretty much the same capabilities as DSLR's.

I wonder how much i could decrease the size and weight of my DSLR (lithium AA's, some walk-around LTD pancake - but then again, i cant justify those prices @ f2.8). And K-r body goes for 600$.

Honestly i'm also quite fed up with the AA battery management as well.
I will qualify that statement in that for me, I can do quicker compositions with an slr or dSLR whether it is the K200d or other good body. However, I have been using viewfinders since 1977 and lcd based cameras for 2 years. I have also used EVF off and on for ~ 10 years and they are a lot better but still seem to have a long way to go for me not to mention I think they had to the power consumption problem. I will say I have had good luck with my K200d & AA but I have always used either Kodak or Eneloop or Lithiums because others just didn't get it done. I will say that if the K-r was weather sealed, I would be inclined to get a white one. The 95 to 103 F weather out in the sun seems to tax black bodies. I have had issues with that this summer on a couple of research outings.
09-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Btw, this might suit a separate thread, but still. From your experience, how are MILC's threated in public events? Are they allowed where there are special rules/prohibition for SLR cameras or Professional photography? Logically when you're not lugging something like 500/5.6 along with it, but more like 20/1.7 or the wide kit zoom.

Or they still look big/complex enough for the personnel to ask additional fee or get banned?

09-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Btw, this might suit a separate thread, but still. From your experience, how are MILC's threated in public events? Are they allowed where there are special rules/prohibition for SLR cameras or Professional photography? Logically when you're not lugging something like 500/5.6 along with it, but more like 20/1.7 or the wide kit zoom.

Or they still look big/complex enough for the personnel to ask additional fee or get banned?
My GF2 with 17mm lens is a very compact package, even more so than the E-P1. I am interested in that new Panny compact zoom when it comes out as well as the Oly 45/1.8. I believe any venue that allows a camera at all would allow these.
09-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Most people think that my GF2 with 20/1.7 is just a point-and-shoot. Even subjects - which actually helps them relax.
09-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure...
GF1 used is a good deal (where I am)
GF1 new isn't that great a deal from the prices I've seen mentioned here.
From the prices mentioned here for a new one, you might as well get a G3.

Do look at the EPL1 as well, if you can look past the poorer resolution LCD screen.

IMHO, the Olympus cams have better looking OOC JPEGs. The Panasonics need some PP work (ie. levels, curves, in-camera wb adjustments)

On a budget, keeping the K200 makes more sense, since you can just use the cheap MF lenses.
For the GF1, you will need to get the 14/2.5, 20/1.7 and maybe a 45/1.8 on the cheap end of things. But since you are not getting 2nd hand and on a budget its a bit of money.

Have you thought thru that the problem with your K200 maybe a lens selection and carrying issue more than an actual size/hindrance issue?
A rear panier or even a haversack hung on the handlebar may solve the issue of carrying the camera.
Just bringing one lens out (a cheap MF 24/2.8; 28/2.8 or 50/2) keeps the baggage and encumbrance small as well.

What are you riding btw? Road, MTB, TT, hybrid?
I wish I had the time to do more riding nowadays..... weekends are now just a short ride, then coffee with the blokes.
09-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Used K-x with lithium batteries will be pretty small and perform much better than GF1 IMO.
10-02-2011, 02:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
What are you riding btw? Road, MTB, TT, hybrid?
Currently im commuting with a road-ish mtb. Plan on switching to city bicycle (all hub mechanics, vertical sitting posture). Usually i have my gear in backpack or shoulder bag.
I think most of the weight and size comes from AA's and the complex mirror-box mechanics. When cycling, in most cases i have to leave my DSLR behind because of its size. When commuting or expecting more challenging weather you have to pack quite a lot of additional clothes (rain overshoes, raincoat, wind-stopers etc).

I would be hesitant to keep my camera on the frame, because it would take all the hits, which are otherwise absorbed by me.