Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
but with a NEX 5N and an adapter, even a takumar 35/3.5 will become a bit obtrusive. I think Samsung (NX100) has it right with their 16, 20, and 30mm primes, but they don't have Sony's sensor.

09-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Do those adaptors support auto focus?
Nope, and I personally don't think I want to do MF without a decent viewfinder. I wonder if the Sony EVF can zoom in, since it's not optical.
09-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I wouldn’t try and tell you that you are expecting too much. your needs and desires are what matters most, but I think the fixed lens of the fuji really wouldnt be as limiting as you might think. I also feel that you may not find what you are ultimately looking for in terms of pocketability if you want something with interchangabe lenses. I could be wrong, but I just can’t see an interchangeable lens camera that is any bigger than the Q ever really being ‘pocketable’. the leica (im assuming you are speaking of an M8 or M9) isn’t as small or light as you might be thinking, and with anything other than the smallest collapsible lenses attached, it certainly isn’t pocketable by any stretch of the imagination. in truth both the M8 and M9 with lens attached would be similar in size and probably heaver than a K-5 with ’normal’ lens attached.

I think giving your stated desires, the rumored Fuji ILC may be your best bet. I guess you would be best off by waiting it out and see what fuji comes up with.
Thanks Séamuis!

The rumoured Fuji (ILC) would probably be my choice, as you mention.
In terms of being "pocketable", I just meant something the size of the actual Fuji X100 but with the option of changing lenses at wish.
The Pentax Q would be an alternative but I am willing to wait out what Fuji will come up with. I wouldn't be surprised that they announce such a product over the next few months ... based on rumours though!

Cheers.

JP
09-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Here's an idea...drop the idea of a backup camera/system and just buy the right bag for your K-5 and lenses. At the end of the day, shaving a couple of overall inches from a camera body/lens and what you are wanting from a new camera/system could easier be solved with the right bag and something that fits your style.

Jason
Well, it is an idea worth considering.

Of course, I am in no rush and willing to wait out a bit to see what will show over the next few months.

Thanks for the reply.

JP

09-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I think so.

I have been looking for a pocket camera as a back-up to the dSLR as well. But without the need for interchangeable lenses.

I have been looking at the Canon s95, Canon sx230 hs and olympus xz-1 and panasonic lx5. Still have not made up my mind. Seriously consdiering the olympus as it has an optional viewfinder. I would have bought it, if it was built in. Now that Sony is going wild with its EVF, I might have to wait another year for EVF technology to really get going.
I went the same route a while back, almost took the plunge with a small P&S Panasonic (no viewfinder) and then decided to wait out the offerings this Fall/Winter.
I am very tempted with the X100 but then again, I will see what comes up between now and early 2012.

Cheers.

JP
09-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Before I got my K5, I had a K7 with a few lenses and a Pano GF1 as "backup".. I bought the GF1 because it had interchangeable lenses, but ended up with 2 complete systems with a bunch of lenses I could never use......I sold the GF1 collection and the K7 and bought the K5.

If there was a small cam that took the K lenses, I'd jump for it. But if I ever get another "backup", I think I'd get something like the Fuji X100 with a fixed lens......that would force me to spend my money on the K7 lenses and not on yet another "system"

my 2 cents
09-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Do those adaptors support auto focus?
No they don't. But I stuck a Zeiss 85/1.4 on one and the 'Peaking' function works superbly .... the outlines glow when the part of the subject you are targeting comes into focus. I think you really need to take a lens along and see it in action. Maybe not as fast as CIF but very accurate.

09-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Doesn't the Panasonic G3 meet your requirements?

But really, you can't do much better than what you already have.
True enough: the K5 is top notch!

However, I have the DA*300/4 attached on it almost on a permanent basis and (because I am way too lazy to change lenses in the middle of a slippery and rocky trail) want a smaller cam which will be easy to flip out and use at the needed moment.

I haven't considered the G3 ... I'll have a look at the reviews.

Cheers.

JP
09-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
but with a NEX 5N and an adapter, even a takumar 35/3.5 will become a bit obtrusive. I think Samsung (NX100) has it right with their 16, 20, and 30mm primes, but they don't have Sony's sensor.
Well still much smaller than say a Kr with the same lens on it. Pop the camera in one pocket and a few Ltds in others and you really don't need a bag.
09-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
What about rparmar's suggestion of the Panasonic G3 then?

In-built EVF, interchangeable lenses (including some very compact pancake primes), articulated screen, excellent 16mp sensor, and about the same size (if not smaller) than the Fuji X100...

One thing to consider about the 'rumoured' Fuji ILC is that it's almost certain that it won't have the optical viewfinder - at best it'll have a zooming finder (like the X10) that will only work with certain focal-lengths. More likely it will just have a standard EVF... So think hard about what it is that attracts you to the X100 in the first place.
Never thought that there would be such an issue with the EVF!
Well, that is something which may well change my choice list!

Thanks for the hint .... I shall see what happens.

JP
09-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
No they don't. But I stuck a Zeiss 85/1.4 on one and the 'Peaking' function works superbly .... the outlines glow when the part of the subject you are targeting comes into focus. I think you really need to take a lens along and see it in action. Maybe not as fast as CIF but very accurate.
I have that Zeiss 85mm f1.4 ZK. For me it would defeat the purpose of having a second, compact travel camera mounting such a large or similar lens on it.

Last edited by tuco; 09-09-2011 at 11:50 AM.
09-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
GH2 vs the new NEX-7 and GF1 w/finder:

Sony Nex-5N with Samyang 35mm F1.4:
Nice comparison.
Thanks for the pics.

JP
09-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Nope, and I personally don't think I want to do MF without a decent viewfinder. I wonder if the Sony EVF can zoom in, since it's not optical.
It has Peaking (Google it in Youtube) and can zoom in x10.
09-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I have that Zeiss 85mm f1.4 ZK. For me it would defeat the purpose of having a second, compact travel camera mounting such a large or similar lens on it.
Didn't seem big to me but as I said ..... camera in one pocket and lens in another. However plenty of smaller lenses (the 15, 43 & 77 come to mind immediately).
09-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
It has Peaking (Google it in Youtube) and can zoom in x10.
That is exciting. The NEX 5N does seem to be the winner of the mirrorless offerings. I'll wait to see what the street price is in a few months. That viewfinder has to drop by half. I hope they come out with a few more pancakes, like the 16mm. It certainly would be nice to buy a Contax T* without having to have it modded.