Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Compact back up for my K5 ... which one ... or wait?

For a while now, I have been looking for a little backup buddy for my K5; something small and preferably pocketable with good IQ.

So, there are a few contenders: Sony (upcoming NEX 7), Fuji, Olympus (no viewfinder) ... and there is also the Q but that would a last choice.

I "hear" (rumours from "Fuji rumours") that there could be an interchangeable-lens version of the Fuji X100 in the works. If that is so, I am willing to wait for it. (I almost bit the bullet last week to get me a Fuji X100 but the lack of interchangeable lenses made me think twice ... who knows? This may happen!)

No rush though, just exploring the possibilities present and future.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this?

Cheers.

JP

09-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if, with the buyout of Pentax by Ricoh, there will be a K mount module for their GXR in the near future? That would give you a backup body with good IQ and also the ability to use your K mount lenses? Just a thought.
09-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I wonder if, with the buyout of Pentax by Ricoh, there will be a K mount module for their GXR in the near future? That would give you a backup body with good IQ and also the ability to use your K mount lenses? Just a thought.
That's an interesting would-be solution!
I guess we will have to wait and see what Ricoh has in store for planning such a module.

IMO, this is quite possible ... opinion only!

Cheers.

JP
09-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Banned

I would choose the Nex-5N over the Nex-7 because it has better high iso performance and the optional 2359K dot Tru-Finder™ OLED EVF has the advantage of adustable angle.

09-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I would choose the Nex-5N over the Nex-7 because it has better high iso performance and the optional 2359K dot Tru-Finder™ OLED EVF has the advantage of adustable angle.
That is indeed a beautifully made small camera.

I just wonder about the IQ (probably very good) and the lack of a real viewfinder. I am so used to the SLR's - DSLR's and I find it rather difficult to aim/focus without it.
From what I am seeing in the reviews, this optional viewfinder is great but wouldn't that make the camera+lens+viewfinder a bit too big?

Thanks for the info.

JP
09-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If 'small', 'pocketable' and 'good IQ' are the priorities, I'd definitely recommend the Olympus EPL3 and the Lumix 14/f2.5. Or if you prefer the length and don't mind something a tad larger, the Lumix 20/f1.7. Add the Olympus 45/f1.8 if you don't mind carrying a (very) small bag.

Steller kit and about as small as you can get with a 'real' sensor and 'real' lens It won't have quite the IQ of your K-5, but, well, you have a K-5 so I guess that isn't a huge issue...
09-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The NEX 7 with that beer can for a lens doesn't look too pocketable but still small and easy to carry around. I've been wanting a easy travel camera like that too and wrestling with the fixed lens of the X100 or something like the NEX 7.

One weighing factor for me with a fixed lens is that's it; your purchase is over. Live with what it has and learn to use it. It's your second camera after all. Dig out the DSLR for the more demanding situations. Whereas with the NEX 7 you'll possibly be wanting more lenses and at 24MP you really need top quality glass to utilize that sensor and I don't see how that can be cheap. Soon, unless your satisfied with the kit zoom offered, you'll have some significant bucks wrapped up into it.

Last edited by tuco; 09-07-2011 at 10:01 PM.
09-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #8

I was toying with the idea of buying one of the Sigma DP line at some point. Their AF is slow and they have bad high ISO, but they go at about 200-300$ used on ebay, they're 1.6x crop and they have a Foveon sensor that intrigued me (until I saw the price on the SD1). I believe Sigma also offers optical viewfinders for them. If money is no object, I would jump on the Fuji X100. Otherwise, I would recommend one of the high grade P&S with fast lenses, like the Olympus XZ-1.

As a NEX user, and despite all the sales hype from the manufacturers, I don't consider the mirrorless cameras to be "pocketable", even with pancakes.

That said, if you want a mirrorless with pancakes and a EVF, there's the old Samsung NX10 (or NX5 or NX11: they're basically the same thing) that goes cheap, since the NX20 is around the corner.
09-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

How big are your pockets?

Jason
09-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
Banned

I don’t think the fixed lens should really be that huge of an issue if you are considering this as a backup camera, something that would only get used when the occasion called for it. I mean, you have a K-5, so you already have a lens setup for most situations. sometimes limiting yourself can bring about unexpected results and even open up new areas of photographic discovery, etc. if I were to purchase such a camera (I am also looking into this for my traveling next year) I would either choose the X100 or the Ricoh GXR. But I think the X100 would likely win out. but the X10 also looks rather tempting. maybe the sensor is too small for your liking, but its bigger than the Q’s and you listed that as an option, so maybe the X10 could be a consideration.

I don’t think the fixed lens on the X100 is that limiting, especially for a pocket/travel camera. wide enough for most situations, but with a close focus good enough to get right up and personal with prortraits, etc. its a funny thing how most people refuse to shell out for a fixed lens camera, because they want the options but then most only use one or two lenses at most. I myself when using my K-7 use either 55 or 43mm and thats pretty much it. I could live with the X100 limitations and I think mots of us would be quite happy with it in actual practice.
09-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
Banned

The Sony NEX-5N Digital Camera Review – A Monster full of features!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That is indeed a beautifully made small camera.

I just wonder about the IQ (probably very good) and the lack of a real viewfinder. I am so used to the SLR's - DSLR's and I find it rather difficult to aim/focus without it.
From what I am seeing in the reviews, this optional viewfinder is great but wouldn't that make the camera+lens+viewfinder a bit too big?

Thanks for the info.

JP
The Sony NEX-5N Digital Camera Review – A Monster full of features! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

09-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
If 'small', 'pocketable' and 'good IQ' are the priorities, I'd definitely recommend the Olympus EPL3 and the Lumix 14/f2.5. Or if you prefer the length and don't mind something a tad larger, the Lumix 20/f1.7. Add the Olympus 45/f1.8 if you don't mind carrying a (very) small bag.

Steller kit and about as small as you can get with a 'real' sensor and 'real' lens It won't have quite the IQ of your K-5, but, well, you have a K-5 so I guess that isn't a huge issue...
The Oly EPL3 (or the EP3) would really look like a winner if it wasn't for the lack of a viewfinder. the available "external" v.f. seems bulky and, probably, rather expensive.
All in all, you make a good point with it being very portable, that is a definite contender to my search unless I find something else such as a Fuji X100 with interchangeable lenses!?
Can' t have it all.

Thanks for the
09-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote

The Oly EPL3 (or the EP3) would really look like a winner if it wasn't for the lack of a viewfinder. the available "external" v.f. seems bulky and, probably, rather expensive.
All in all, you make a good point with it being very portable, that is a definite contender to my search unless I find something else such as a Fuji X100 with interchangeable lenses!?
Can' t have it all.

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers.

JP

Why has this post "posted" twice???
09-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The NEX 7 with that beer can for a lens doesn't look too pocketable but still small and easy to carry around. I've been wanting a easy travel camera like that too and wrestling with the fixed lens of the X100 or something like the NEX 7.

One weighing factor for me with a fixed lens is that's it; your purchase is over. Live with what it has and learn to use it. It's your second camera after all. Dig out the DSLR for the more demanding situations. Whereas with the NEX 7 you'll possibly be wanting more lenses and at 24MP you really need top quality glass to utilize that sensor and I don't see how that can be cheap. Soon, unless your satisfied with the kit zoom offered, you'll have some significant bucks wrapped up into it.
My brother has a Sony NEX 5 and I have toyed with it a few times: I don't like the handling and I curse the lack of a viewfinder. But that's my opinion.
Of course, it is among my list but the more I look at it the less I am finding it a good deal.
True enough, the glass price would be a deterrent as well.

As for the Fuji X100, I agree that I could get used to it (having a fixed focal) but finding it limiting with the 23mm F2 lens.

As I mentioned earlier in my OP, there is no rush and hopefully Fuji will come up with a new version offering interchangeable lenses ... we shall see.
Unless, of course, Pentax decides to go that way?

Cheers.

JP
09-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WyldRage Quote
I was toying with the idea of buying one of the Sigma DP line at some point. Their AF is slow and they have bad high ISO, but they go at about 200-300$ used on ebay, they're 1.6x crop and they have a Foveon sensor that intrigued me (until I saw the price on the SD1). I believe Sigma also offers optical viewfinders for them. If money is no object, I would jump on the Fuji X100. Otherwise, I would recommend one of the high grade P&S with fast lenses, like the Olympus XZ-1.

As a NEX user, and despite all the sales hype from the manufacturers, I don't consider the mirrorless cameras to be "pocketable", even with pancakes.

That said, if you want a mirrorless with pancakes and a EVF, there's the old Samsung NX10 (or NX5 or NX11: they're basically the same thing) that goes cheap, since the NX20 is around the corner.
Not easy to choose, yet!

Just looking at the shots of the NEX-5N below (from Steve), I doubt very much that this is a "pocketable" gear!
There is always the used market for good quality stuff, as you mention.

Since I am in no rush, I'd better wait a bit longer and see what will come up. It'd be nice to have it before the middle of the winter though!

JP