Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
Banned

that leaked image is clearly photoshopped, and I’m glad because if thats what it actually looked like… bleh.

09-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
5.6 is much better
I didn´t want to take the thread off topic, but you´ve forced my hand...

5.6x crop factor?

MAJOR FAIL, Pentax.
09-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I didn´t want to take the thread off topic, but you´ve forced my hand...

5.6x crop factor?

MAJOR FAIL, Pentax.
This 5.7 crop factor is what allow Pentax to do such tiny lense, isn't it ?
09-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Don't even think about crap.factors. Think that these are oversized P&S's that function on their own terms. Short wide fast lenses with thick DOF -- hay, I could use a few of those! A decent-quality ILC that slips into a cargo pocket -- what's wrong with that? Just don't shoot at high ISO.

09-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The Latest Update

not much new, but...

Nikon To Launch Mirrorless Cameras This Week, Brand New Lens System - Channel News

QuoteQuote:
EXCLUSIVE: Nikon is set to use the controversial Sydney night club, the Ivy, on Wednesday to launch what is tipped to be two controversial new mirrorless cameras that incorporate a new CX form factor interchangeable lens system.
Click for the whole story, what there is of it.
09-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

2.7x crop factor?
FAIL, Nikon.
So you dismiss the whole system simply based on the crop factor? :ugh:
09-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
So you dismiss the whole system simply based on the crop factor? :ugh:
Smaller sensors do produce poorer IQ. Nikon, as they´re HUGE, have a chance to steal the market from Oly/Pana/Sony/Samsung if they produce an APS-C mirrorless camera that´s not designed for complete novices and a few good lenses (particularly fast primes) to go with it.

It looks like they´ve foolishly chosen not to do so. I´m not dismissing the system per say, but I can tell from the crop factor that Nikon are missing a huge opportunity here. It will very, very likely be massively over-priced for the IQ it offers compared to a cheap APS-C DSLR.

09-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Smaller sensors do produce poorer IQ.
How so?
Not everyone is majorly concerned with shallow DOF photography.

In terms of pixel density, its 10MP sensor is not that far off from the 24MP APS-C sensors.
09-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

How so?
Not everyone is majorly concerned with shallow DOF photography.

In terms of pixel density, its 10MP sensor is not that far off from the 24MP APS-C sensors.
P&S sensors to date have not produced anything that can hold a match to an APS-C or even a 4/3 rds .... do you think this one will match them ? The size of the sensor has a major impact on DR / High ISO / Noise etc. as you know you can't cram more MPs on there and expect it will improve the IQ - it won't. I also agree with Jonathan that Nikon have missed the boat here (as did Pentax with the Q but that's another story and there may be more to come from Pentax).
09-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
P&S sensors to date have not produced anything that can hold a match to an APS-C or even a 4/3 rds .... do you think this one will match them ?
Well, the rumored sensor is much larger than your typical 1/2.3" (typical P&S) or 1/1.7" (LX5) sensors.
So why are you equating this camera's performance with that of a P&S?

QuoteQuote:
The size of the sensor has a major impact on DR / High ISO / Noise etc. as you know you can't cram more MPs on there and expect it will improve the IQ - it won't

But as I said, the sensor technology has progressed to a point that they are cramming more and more pixel to the APS-C sensor and still get improved performance.
Right now, they have 24MP in the newest Sony APS-C sensor; and if you carve out the rumored Nikon sensor area out of the APS-C sensor, you would get around 8-9MP. And that is not too far off from the 10MP that the Nikon sensor has.

So while the high ISO and noise may not match that of a APS-C sensor, it should not be too far off either (assuming Nikon sensor design can match that of Sony).

QuoteQuote:
I also agree with Jonathan that Nikon have missed the boat here
We can visit this question again one year from now. If all the rumors hold true (should know in a few hours time), I bet this Nikon would sell well.
09-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While I think the Q could have benefited from a nice large-ish EVF and larger sensor, I think it is still more interesting than this Nikon if the specifications are correct. Now I wonder if Pentax designed the Q's imaging circle to work with a larger sensor...
09-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Boring selection of lenses to launch the system with...I'll take the Q's lineup over this any day.

Nikon | News | 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6, 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6, 1 NIKKOR 10mm f/2.8 and 1 NIKKOR VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM
09-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #28
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Nikon reveals its new 2.7x mirrorless system with 2 cameras & 4 lenses - 1001 Noisy Cameras

a list of reviews

looks really ugly. lenses are very slow

both new models use a new CX-size (13.2mm x 8.8mm)

samples are not bad

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.g..._v1/sample.htm
09-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The real battle will be NEX vs. 1. New upstart vs. old stalwart...
09-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

If all the rumors hold true (should know in a few hours time), I bet this Nikon would sell well.
The #1 reason why the Nikon will sell well (and sell much more than the Q) is because of the "Nikon" word written on it.

Jason