Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #2311
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Thanks, she was very happy. Personally, I find it ridiculous that the stories so often have to have a princess in them, or that they find out that they are a princess during the course of their adventure(or marries a prince.). The stories could be just as compelling, or perhaps more so, with real people. Mulan is a decent outlier, but she's almost all but forgotten. They are selling glamour, and a product to kids. I don't want her fondest aspirations to be wearing fancy clothes and going to a ball. Sure, she may out grow it, but so many people don't. The princess worship often translates into material obsession and self esteem issues, when they can't match the ideal image. I will admit to being an overprotective father, however, I've always been an anti-royalist. I think it's an archaic system that belongs in the past, but I've never had much sentiment for tradition.
I agree. When I was a child, Disney was about Mickey Mouse and friends (I can still sing the theme song from the Mickey Mouse club). We loved them because they were all quirky characters.

I do find the current focus on Princesses a little disturbing, and agree with your concern about possible implications to children's expectations and value system later in life.

Maybe you can also introduce your daughter to some of Puccini's operas? Turandot comes to mind (since that features a Princess, but there's a lesson in there that even Princesses need to come down from their pedestal). My favourite is La Boheme - it is relatively short (well under 2 hours) and easy to understand, but powerfully moving and has IMHO the best lyrics and musical score. It inspired me to learn Italian so that I could understand the libretto better.

10-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #2312
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Maybe you can also introduce your daughter to some of Puccini's operas? Turandot comes to mind (since that features a Princess, but there's a lesson in there that even Princesses need to come down from their pedestal). My favourite is La Boheme - it is relatively short (well under 2 hours) and easy to understand, but powerfully moving and has IMHO the best lyrics and musical score. It inspired me to learn Italian so that I could understand the libretto better.
Those might be difficult for a toddler's attention span; but she is enthralled by music, and I can give them a try.

She is very interested in dance, of all varieties. I'll often show her short snippets, and I think she's ready to start taking classes(but she is also in physical therapy). I try to satisfy her other curiosities, but it does always seem to come back to princesses(pirates, occasionally). The girls at her preschool love to play dress up and princesses are all the rage. I find it humorous that, when I ask, she refuses to watch most of the movies. She's simply interested in their clothes. It actually took some doing for us to get her to watch Frozen, and she was quickly over it. She still wants to wear Elsa's dress and shoes, however. (and she loves to sing the songs along with the CD.)
10-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #2313
Veteran Member

Those might be difficult for a toddler's attention span; but she is enthralled by music, and I can give them a try.

She is very interested in dance, of all varieties. I'll often show her short snippets, and I think she's ready to start taking classes(but she is also in physical therapy). I try to satisfy her other curiosities, but it does always seem to come back to princesses(pirates, occasionally). The girls at her preschool love to play dress up and princesses are all the rage. I find it humorous that, when I ask, she refuses to watch most of the movies. She's simply interested in their clothes. It actually took some doing for us to get her to watch Frozen, and she was quickly over it. She still wants to wear Elsa's dress and shoes, however. (and she loves to sing the songs along with the CD.)
Have you introduced her to the Studio Ghibli movies?

I highly recommend "My Neighbour Totoro" since it's from the perspective of two little girls - aged 8 and 5.

Here is the Wikipedia entry on the film:
My Neighbor Totoro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After that, if she likes it, then Kiki's Delivery Service or Laputa. Ponyo is supposedly in the same vein as Totoro, but I find it less enchanting.

Some of the Ghibli movies are a bit heavy going (Princess Mononoke is really quite dark and not for the faint hearted) - Spirited Away also features a little girl, but it also contains strong themes - I wouldn't start with it, but if likes the genre I will definitely recommend it.
10-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #2314
Veteran Member

I've seen many of them. That's not a bad idea. While Mononoke is a favorite of mine, we'll skip that one for a few years . I don't generally get to watch those movies, at home, because my wife has Trypophobia(according to her). Those movies tend to be swarmy or have strange textures. My wife might seek revenge upon me for getting her hooked on something like that, so that's probably why I never thought of those.

10-06-2014, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #2315
Veteran Member

I've seen many of them. That's not a bad idea. While Mononoke is a favorite of mine, we'll skip that one for a few years . I don't generally get to watch those movies, at home, because my wife has Trypophobia(according to her). Those movies tend to be swarmy or have strange textures. My wife might seek revenge upon me for getting her hooked on something like that, so that's probably why I never thought of those.
I had to look up the definition of "trypophobia" to figure out what that is. Interesting - I do get an uneasy reaction to some scenes in the films, and I have always wondered why.

If you like the films, you may enjoy this blog article I wrote about 5 years ago when I was learning Japanese:
Japanese Learning Notes: An analysis of 「???????」 from the perspective of a student learning Japanese
10-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #2316
Veteran Member

10-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #2317
Veteran Member

10-11-2014, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #2318
Veteran Member

10-13-2014, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #2319
Veteran Member

A few from our second trip to Disneyland. We have to get our money's worth out of these passes. (Sigma 30mm)

10-14-2014, 01:51 AM   #2320
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA43 on NEX-7

10-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #2321
Veteran Member

A few from our second trip to Disneyland. We have to get our money's worth out of these passes. (Sigma 30mm)
Flickr
Lovely photos.

Question: I have relatively new Flickr newbie - what's the best way of embedding Flickr photos in posts, because I notice you do it a different way from me?
10-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #2322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Lovely photos.

Question: I have relatively new Flickr newbie - what's the best way of embedding Flickr photos in posts, because I notice you do it a different way from me?
Thanks. When you visit the photo there is a share link. It lets you choose between Link, HTML and BBCODE. I use the BBCODE to post here. These pics are also marked for my family only, so they don't generate the other links to FLICKR.
10-15-2014, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #2323
Veteran Member

Thanks. When you visit the photo there is a share link. It lets you choose between Link, HTML and BBCODE. I use the BBCODE to post here. These pics are also marked for my family only, so they don't generate the other links to FLICKR.
Thanks a lot!

Okay, let me try
10-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #2324
Veteran Member

5N and Sigma 30mm f/2.8

5N and E 50mm f/1.8

I am in a dilemma of buying FE 55mm f/1.8. There is a guilty felling of owning both the E and FE mount at the same time. I like the E 50mm f/1.8 a lot while my work-horse is actually my Sigma 60mm f/2.8 for aps-c. On my 5N, both E 50mm f/1.8 and Sigma 60 are slow in AF. I am sure the E 50 will work better in A6000.

For anyone who owns both FE 55mm f/1.8 and E 50mm f/1.8, would I miss anything if I trade in my E 50mm f/1.8 and buy the FE 55mm f/1.8 for both aps-c and FF use. How much bigger is the FE 55mm f/1.8 compared to the E 50mm f/1.8?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.
10-31-2014, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #2325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote

5N and Sigma 30mm f/2.8

5N and E 50mm f/1.8

I am in a dilemma of buying FE 55mm f/1.8. There is a guilty felling of owning both the E and FE mount at the same time. I like the E 50mm f/1.8 a lot while my work-horse is actually my Sigma 60mm f/2.8 for aps-c. On my 5N, both E 50mm f/1.8 and Sigma 60 are slow in AF. I am sure the E 50 will work better in A6000.

For anyone who owns both FE 55mm f/1.8 and E 50mm f/1.8, would I miss anything if I trade in my E 50mm f/1.8 and buy the FE 55mm f/1.8 for both aps-c and FF use. How much bigger is the FE 55mm f/1.8 compared to the E 50mm f/1.8?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Hin
Since you own the A7, it makes sense to own the FE. My friend has an A7 with the 70-200, 55/1.8 and the 35/2.8. I've been able to play with them quite a bit. I also played with his 55/1.8 on another friend's A6000(not too big). It's a pricey lens, but it's one you should own if you have a full frame E-mount.