Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #856

Nice! Actually its a pity because I do like the shot otherwise. Busy but well composed I think.

09-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #857
Veteran Member

A double pity as the one I took sans finger is blurred because a truck was crossing the bridge as I took it. Didn't feel it (the vibration) at the time, but it's there.
09-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #858
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
A double pity as the one I took sans finger is blurred because a truck was crossing the bridge as I took it. Didn't feel it (the vibration) at the time, but it's there.
When I go wide, I go with tripod. For landscapes/cityscapes, of course
09-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #859
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
When I go wide, I go with tripod. For landscapes/cityscapes, of course
I usually do too, but that was the other thing that got left at home.

09-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #860
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a couple of quick shots from my backyard tonight. I've just received my new Nex 5n and wanted to try it out. Not much to shoot at night, but these'll do.

Shot using my Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 lens wide open. ISO 1600 10 sec. exposure, on my tripod.

09-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #861
Pentaxian

Guys - I'm really having hard time achieving perfect focus with my MF lenses on the Nex5N when I shoot outdoor in bright daylight. I'm normally really good at MF with my Pentax DSLR bodies.

I tried with focus peaking but doesn't seem to be very precise and it's really hard to use on bright daylight. MF zoom feature is helpful but requires too much preparation time so not the solution for moving subjects.

There are quite a few LCD viewfinders that you plug to the LCD screen on sell on eBay, has anyone of you tried those? Are they any good? Which one should I get?
09-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #862
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you used the bright daylight setting instead of auto? You can also increase the intensity of the peaking. I really haven't had a problem. I bought the EVF, and I don't think it was necessary.

09-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #863
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Have you used the bright daylight setting instead of auto? You can also increase the intensity of the peaking. I really haven't had a problem. I bought the EVF, and I don't think it was necessary.
That I haven't tried, will try to use the bright daylight setting and report back.

I normally use Low as intensity for peaking as I found the medium or high level interfere too much my composition.

Thanks!
09-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #864
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Guys - I'm really having hard time achieving perfect focus with my MF lenses on the Nex5N when I shoot outdoor in bright daylight. I'm normally really good at MF with my Pentax DSLR bodies.

I tried with focus peaking but doesn't seem to be very precise and it's really hard to use on bright daylight. MF zoom feature is helpful but requires too much preparation time so not the solution for moving subjects.

There are quite a few LCD viewfinders that you plug to the LCD screen on sell on eBay, has anyone of you tried those? Are they any good? Which one should I get?
I use a LCD pop up screen that looks like this

and I mentioned it in my blog post

That particular LCD pop up screen is meant for NEX 5 and in order to use it on NEX 5N, I used some black tape to mount the screen onto the bottom of the LCD securely. But even with the screen, the manual focusing in bright day light can be taxing w/o the EVF.

I bought it from RainbowImaging in ebay/amazon store. The brand is something like JJC LCD pop up screen. The search link for the screen is in my blog post. And focus peaking and magnified view are the features that helps in MF. I have switched to High from Medium in peeking level and I use red for peeking color. It does bother me initially but I have grown used to it. I find the features indispensable especially when I don't have the EVF.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-14-2012 at 09:10 AM.
09-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #865
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Here's a couple of quick shots from my backyard tonight. I've just received my new Nex 5n and wanted to try it out. Not much to shoot at night, but these'll do.

Shot using my Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 lens wide open. ISO 1600 10 sec. exposure, on my tripod.
Nice shots CJ. I think you're going to like the 5N for your Weestrom treks. Packs pretty small compared to a dslr.
09-14-2012, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #866
Veteran Member

Manito Park

As part of our trip to Spokane we visited Manito Park, which contains several different gardens, including a Japanese garden and Duncan Garden. Duncan Garden is a formal English style garden that includes a fountain and a gazebo. More pics on my blog. All pics w/5N/kit zoom.

Caught the duck just as it was slipping into hyperdrive.

09-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #867
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I use a LCD pop up screen that looks like this

and I mentioned it in my blog post

That particular LCD pop up screen is meant for NEX 5 and in order to use it on NEX 5N, I used some black tape to mount the screen onto the bottom of the LCD securely. But even with the screen, the manual focusing in bright day light can be taxing w/o the EVF.

I bought it from RainbowImaging in ebay/amazon store. The brand is something like JJC LCD pop up screen. The search link for the screen is in my blog post. And focus peaking and magnified view are the features that helps in MF. I have switched to High from Medium in peeking level and I use red for peeking color. It does bother me initially but I have grown used to it. I find the features indispensable especially when I don't have the EVF.

Thanks,
Hin
Thanks Hin. I'll try that one too.

One thing I just realized today is that many of my pictures that came back not perfectly focused are due to the <ability> of focusing past infinity on my PK-NEX adapter that I bought from big_is.

A quick search on the net shows that problem is pretty common with cheap adapter made in China. This is so annoying as I really like to shoot at inifinity with wide angle lenses.

Can anyone recommend a good adapter supplier that sells adapters without past infinity issue?
09-14-2012, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #868
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple more from tonight. Taken with my new Nex 5n. The first is taken with the Super Takumar 28mm f3.5 lens, the second with the 16mm F2.8 E-Mount lens.

I can't wait until the morning. I'll be spending the day putting the Nex 5n through the paces shooting up in the mountains.

09-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #869
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Thanks Hin. I'll try that one too.

One thing I just realized today is that many of my pictures that came back not perfectly focused are due to the <ability> of focusing past infinity on my PK-NEX adapter that I bought from big_is.

A quick search on the net shows that problem is pretty common with cheap adapter made in China. This is so annoying as I really like to shoot at inifinity with wide angle lenses.

Can anyone recommend a good adapter supplier that sells adapters without past infinity issue?
I don't shoot at infinity often, but I shot with my Contax G 45/2 with Metabones adapter, and it also goes past infinity. I seem to recall the K-mount and M42 mount Fotodiox being ok, but shooting some shots at the moon with my FD mount adapter didn't turn out too well. I'll have to retest all my adapters.
09-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #870
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I don't shoot at infinity often, but I shot with my Contax G 45/2 with Metabones adapter, and it also goes past infinity. I seem to recall the K-mount and M42 mount Fotodiox being ok, but shooting some shots at the moon with my FD mount adapter didn't turn out too well. I'll have to retest all my adapters.
FIxing focus past infinity is apparently easily fixed with paper shim(s), either between the lens/adapter or between the adapter/camera. Durability would seem to dictate putting shims between the lens and adapter.

I haven't had to do it yet, but I read it somewhere on the interwebs.