Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great posts andi... you never know what a system can do until you see it in the hands of a photographer who can bring out it's strengths

01-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #197
Veteran Member

HHT example

Woke this morning to a bit of snow. Coming down harder now than it was when I took these @ 0630. I decided to try out the Hand Held Twilight (HHT) mode on the 5N to see if it worked. These were taken @ ISO 6400, 1/25 sec exposure, f/3.5 kit zoom. first shot is OOC, second is tweaked in PS. The first is pretty close to what the scene actually looked like.

Couple more on my blog site.
01-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Woke this morning to a bit of snow. Coming down harder now than it was when I took these @ 0630. I decided to try out the Hand Held Twilight (HHT) mode on the 5N to see if it worked. These were taken @ ISO 6400, 1/25 sec exposure, f/3.5 kit zoom. first shot is OOC, second is tweaked in PS. The first is pretty close to what the scene actually looked like.

Couple more on my blog site.
HHT is quite a handy feature especially when support or a tripod is not available. I have been looking at various tripod mount to use with 5N. My current ball-head in a lightweight tripod can't provide enough friction to have the 5N securely mounted.

Any recommended tripod plate similar to J-Tec but at a lower cost is very much appreciated. Inputs are very welcome. I have these two gadgets saved for potential purchase and further study in Amazon

The Trek-Tech T-pod is especially interesting but I need to ask around and see if anyone has positive field usage with the ball-head -- the MagMount. The other interesting tripod plate mount that other people seem to mention is the ReallyRightStuff BNEX5N plate that is designed to work with NEX 5N.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-18-2012 at 11:52 AM.
01-18-2012, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #199
Veteran Member

5N with kit zoom
Inside of Macau Tower overlooking one of the three bridges
that connect Macau with Cotai

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-18-2012 at 04:42 PM.
01-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Morning Walk
5N with Kit zoom

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-18-2012 at 04:43 PM.
01-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #201
Veteran Member

hinman- you looking for a mount plate or a L-bracket? Jtec has a plate in addition to their L-bracket (which I have- it works very well). I forget if it's RRS or Kirk, but one of the two has a L-bracket in the works, though it's much deeper front-to-back than the Jtec. No idea as to cost, but it won't be cheap I'm sure.

Re: ballheads- I've been swapping a original Acratech between 3 different tripods and have no complaints (except the cost). I've been thinking about shooting them an email about making a reduced size head for lightweight cameras but haven't gotten around to it.
01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #202
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
HHT is a real nice and clever feature. I believe it works by stacking a number of images and selectively eliminating the noise for an optimum final result.

01-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #203
Veteran Member

I believe you're right. Pretty slick feature, no way I could have shot this otherwise, even @ 6400. Well, not without a tripod.
01-19-2012, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #204
Veteran Member

01-19-2012, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #205

Who says NEX can't be used for birds

01-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To Emacs (and any other M-mount afficionado out there)

I'm trying to decide between the Leica Summilux 50mm f1.4, the Zeiss 50mm f1.5, the Voigtlander 50mm f1.1, or just be happy with Sony 50mm f1.8 E mount.

Any thoughts - I can get the Voigtlander second hand for a good price, the Leica also second hand for a good price (relatively speaking in the Leica world), the Zeiss and Sony at new prices.

I've been led to believe optically the Zeiss is probably the best, but presumably the Leica has more street cred. The Voigtlander and Sony I would classify as "cheap and cheerful."
01-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
Who says NEX can't be used for birds
Really nice shot, I guess it can!
01-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
To Emacs (and any other M-mount afficionado out there)

I'm trying to decide between the Leica Summilux 50mm f1.4, the Zeiss 50mm f1.5, the Voigtlander 50mm f1.1, or just be happy with Sony 50mm f1.8 E mount.

Any thoughts - I can get the Voigtlander second hand for a good price, the Leica also second hand for a good price (relatively speaking in the Leica world), the Zeiss and Sony at new prices.

I've been led to believe optically the Zeiss is probably the best, but presumably the Leica has more street cred. The Voigtlander and Sony I would classify as "cheap and cheerful."
What summilux? ASPH? If it is, take it, it's absolutely the best. Pre-ASPH one is about the level of CZ Sonnar 50/1.5
01-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #209
Veteran Member

These are taken with Summilux-M 50 ASPH today (during Moscow pentaxian frosty meeting). They are not good enough, but these are my first shots taken with this lens

01-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
What summilux? ASPH? If it is, take it, it's absolutely the best. Pre-ASPH one is about the level of CZ Sonnar 50/1.5
No - it's pre ASPH.

In fact, I'm suspecting it may even be a Type 1 rather than Type 2 - which is why I am hesitating. I'm currently leaning towards the Sonnar - it's a known level of quality, but I'll need to bargain down the price at the shop.

By the way, I never realised rays have a happy smiley face when viewed from the bottom :-)