Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
Thanks, Ken. Yes, the FD 55mm f/1.2 Aspherical. Supposedly a bit better than the 50/1.2L but I have not compared them.

Again, there are many good f1.2 lenses (Minolta 58/1.2, Pentax 50/1.2, Olympus Pen F 42/1.2, Voigtlander 35/1.2 come to mind, but I am sure the 50/1.2L is at least very good) and being able to nail the focus at the right moment is more important (to me) than getting an extra bit of sharpness, I have to confess. At least in people shots where you have to be reasonably quick. The wider ones are of course more forgiving due to their greater DoF.

One reason why the great Canon above is also great is that due to the fantastic contrast it offers, it is easier to nail the focus at f1.2. Whereas the Schneider 50/0.95 is quite hard even with all the aid from NEX-5n.
I was looking to nab the L for ~$500, and it, of course, went higher. For that price I'd have sold my Cosina, but I like that lens too. Character is often more important than sharpness or technical brilliance(to me).

As for my 300 L. I went a little too late again and I'd say I missed the golden hour. I got some really lousy shots today. I got some tack sharp pictures of fences though as the bird flew out of the frame, so I think the lens and TC combo is probably pretty good. I'm going to wait until my remote shutter arrives before I try again. I've been using the 10 second timer. It would be nice if there were a 2 sec in the body. All and all, I like these FD lenses and I'm starting quite a collection of them.

Last edited by kenafein; 06-06-2012 at 09:35 PM.
06-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #467

Seems like a good start! I like the 3rd one.
06-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #468
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I was looking to nab the L for ~$500, and it, of course, went higher. For that price I'd have sold my Cosina, but I like that lens too. Character is often more important than sharpness or technical brilliance(to me).
Character can be great but then a lens that is sharp and contrasty with clear vivid colours will produce images that you can postprocess in various ways to add character.

Whereas a weak lens often leaves you with few choices.

As for my 300 L. I went a little too late again and I'd say I missed the golden hour. I got some really lousy shots today. I got some tack sharp pictures of fences though as the bird flew out of the frame, so I think the lens and TC combo is probably pretty good. I'm going to wait until my remote shutter arrives before I try again. I've been using the 10 second timer. It would be nice if there were a 2 sec in the body. All and all, I like these FD lenses and I'm starting quite a collection of them.
I have the 500/4.5L that I have not yet taken out! Just shot test images from my office window and was blown away. Much better than expected. But... it doesn't quite focus to infinity on my NEX. Almost, but moon pics are just slightly blurry. Is this something that can be easily adjusted I wonder? Both adapters I have are the same in this regard.
06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #469
Veteran Member

I guess it doesn't matter anymore as I scored a good deal on an aspherical last night . My cosina is up for sale. The aspherical is absolutely worth selling the cosina for, from your samples, but those others you mentioned, I would have been more cautious about. I do love my cosina, and it is no slouch.

I took some disapointing moon shots the other day, but I figured I was washing out detail from over exposure. It was cool to see the moon light up red from the contrast detect. I will try a few more shots with a much faster shutter.

A farewell shots from the Revuenon(Cosina) 55/1.2

Last edited by kenafein; 06-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.
06-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #470
Veteran Member

twin towers memorial

Back in September (the 11th to be exact) this memorial was unveiled in Kennewick, WA. Having traveled 2714 miles from ground zero it now pays respect to those souls that lost their lives at the World Trade Center on 9/11.

It consists of a section of the steel beam system that made up the skeleton of one of the towers, topped by a flag pole.

5n w/18-55 kit lens.

I intended to shoot a whole series of shots from all angles. Unfortunately the maintenace guys were spreading recycled grass (cow flop) with a tractor drawn broadcast spreader. As you can see from the flag the wind was blowing pretty good. The memorial is downwind of the fertilizer pile. I got 2 shots and they asked me to move my car so they could get to the pile. So I did. By the time they got done the clouds had moved and the subject was in very harsh direct light instead of the nicely diffused light seen here.

So, I'll have to go back another day. It's an interesting piece and worthy of a re-shoot.
06-08-2012, 11:30 PM - 4 Likes   #471

I just came back from a great road trip to Oregon coast and Northern California.
A beautiful country, amazingly green. I was hoping for more Rhododendrons,
but came back with a different kind of images
More on my website:

Redwoods and Oregon coast

Andrew

06-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #472
Veteran Member

Nice shots Andi, and it's a shame you couldn't get more shots Bimjo. How do you stave off LBA and shoot with the kit so often? I guess it is because you get great results.

06-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #473
Veteran Member

Nice shots Andi, and it's a shame you couldn't get more shots Bimjo. How do you stave off LBA and shoot with the kit so often? I guess it is because you get great results.
I agree, I saw Andi's shots on another site & they are stunners. Eh, well, there's always next itme. It's not like I have to drive half a day to get there.

Re: LBA vs. the kit lens- I've found being unemployed to be a real damper on LBA. Though I do lust for something wider than the SEL 16, which for some strange reason I've never warmed up to.
06-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #474
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
I agree, I saw Andi's shots on another site & they are stunners. Eh, well, there's always next itme. It's not like I have to drive half a day to get there.

Re: LBA vs. the kit lens- I've found being unemployed to be a real damper on LBA. Though I do lust for something wider than the SEL 16, which for some strange reason I've never warmed up to.
I know you've said you hate your copy, but mine seems pretty good with and without the wide adapter. It's kept me from buying a Sigma 10-20 for my K-5. I had a 14mm Samyang at one point, and it was awesome. I miss that lens. Rumor has it that Samyang will be releasing E-mount lenses with AF.
06-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #475
Veteran Member

The Sigma 10-20 is the only Pentax mount lens I had that I regret selling to fund the 5N. Had I only known…
06-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #476
Veteran Member

Lovey scenery, light and composition, andi. Do you, mind saying what lenses you used?
06-10-2012, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #477

This whole series is mostly with Leica M 28 Cron and 50 Lux. I think you can tell
which one is which. First image is taken with the new 21 Super-Elmar

One more from the same trip

06-11-2012, 02:01 AM - 2 Likes   #478
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sydney at night. The NEX-5N is a great night camera, with Hand Held Twilight and Anti Motion Blur modes

A girl using a NEX-5N (the NEX-5N is really popular amongst women):

And here are some tripod shots taken from Sydney Tower:

06-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #479
Veteran Member

Thanks, andi!

Wow, Christine, nice pics! I always did think Sydney was a dangerous place to drive, what with upside down bridges and boulders falling onto your car from god-knows-where!

Here's a few I took over these last few days of our long week-end:

06-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #480
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
I just came back from a great road trip to Oregon coast and Northern California.
Great photos!